Notre Dame Cathedral is burning - Ile de France

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Good ole Rolling Stone tweeted this, then deleted that tweet and tweeted the one below. From the story that Rolling Stone wrote about it (link in that 2nd tweet)......

Any rebuilding should be a reflection not of an old France, or the France that never was a non-secular, white European France but a reflection of the France of today, a France that is currently in the making.

1555552635182.png

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1118301983801315328

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
After thinking of this monument in Paris and it's meaning for so many, I stumbled across these verses in my daily study this am and think they certainly apply and give comfort:

Acts 17:22- So Paul, standing in the midst of the Apeopagus (Mars hill to the Romans at the time) said:

"Men of Athens, this I proclaim to you...
The God who made heaven and earth and everything in it doesn't not live in Temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything.
The time of ignorance God has overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent because he has fixed a day on which the will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead."

The early church was "built" in the houses of the people of all walks of life, not in huge temples made by men. The "church" is in the hearts and minds of the men and women whom he calls...not in the walls of church houses or structures built by his creation.

Just something to think about whenever they rebuild and make this monument to Christianity OR something other than that. God doesn't live there only...he has just been invited by men to use the building. If men decide to change the use, that doesn't change God.

For those I offended in my defense of our French friend on this site...nothing was meant of it, just banter and hospitality.

Have a Blessed day...OP..

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
After thinking of this monument in Paris and it's meaning for so many, I stumbled across these verses in my daily study this am and think they certainly apply and give comfort:

Acts 17:22- So Paul, standing in the midst of the Apeopagus (Mars hill to the Romans at the time) said:

The God who made heaven and earth and everything in it doesn't not live in Temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything.
The time of ignorance God has overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent because he has fixed a day on which the will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead."

The early church was "built" in the houses of the people of all walks of life, not in huge temples made by men. The "church" is in the hearts and minds of the men and women whom he calls...not in the walls of church houses or structures built by his creation.

Just something to think about whenever they rebuild and make this monument to Christianity OR something other than that. God doesn't live there only...he has just been invited by men to use the building. If men decide to change the use, that doesn't change God.

For those I offended in my defense of our French friend on this site...nothing was meant of it, just banter.

True...but to stand as I have in Notre Dame or St. Peters and be quiet...and listen...is to be inspired once again by the voice of God.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
True...but to stand as I have in Notre Dame or St. Peters and be quiet...and listen...is to be inspired once again by the voice of God.
Certainly I agree and have also had the great privilege to stand in both those places, but, the "voice" of God is heard wherever you ask for it and inside each who has submitted to the Holy Spirits direction. The point, I believe, Paul was making is that God is greater than any structure built by his creation and he doesn't live there only. He was talking to them with the temples of their god's (maybe the greatest structures in the Western World at the time) in the background as he spoke, so I can see why he said it in the context that he did...Man that took some Holy Spirit inspired "stones," btw. I'm not sure he would have said 'exactly' the same thing in the same way had he been standing in front of a temple dedicated to Christ as those didn't exist at the time. Still, I think his words can provide comfort to those who worry about a building and it's contents.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Certainly I agree and have also had the great privilege to stand in both those places, but, the voice of God is heard wherever you ask for it and inside each who has submitted to the Holy Spirits direction. The point, I believe, Paul was making is that God is greater than any structure built by his creation and he doesn't live there only. He was talking to them with the temples of their god's (maybe the greatest structures in the Western World at the time) in the background as he spoke, so I can see why he said it in the context that he did...Man that took some Holy Spirit inspired "stones," btw. I'm not sure he would have said 'exactly' the same thing in the same way had he been standing in front of a temple dedicated to Christ as those didn't exist at the time. Still, I think his words can provide comfort to those who worry about a building and it's contents.
Agreed...often God speaks to us...but we are too busy to listen.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don't think we have any idea yet...to me it just makes too much sense for an arsonist to have done this when it was done and to set such a Christian structure totally ablaze. Not sure their motivation, but I still think it's likely arson (not sure by who, what party, religion, or if it was done for sympathy or to blame some other group) but I do think the French government is downplaying things to keep things publically "safe." They pronounced things not terror related FAR too soon for them to have ruled that out. But they do have HUGE monetary reasons to report it that way (#1 Tourism). We won't know until/and IF all the facts come out one way or another.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

For those I offended in my defense of our French friend on this site...nothing was meant of it, just banter and hospitality.

do you mean like Leon Russell's "Church Studio" in Tulsa?

https://thechurchstudio.com/

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
For those who visit France while Notre Dame is undergoing what's bound to be a decades long rebuild, consider visiting Ste. Sulpice on the Left Bank (setting for The DaVinci Code), or Chartres Cathedral just outside Paris. Both breathtaking in their own right.