NY AG: NYPD Should Stop Making Traffic Stops

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Unreal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...neral-says/ar-BB19qU5M?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

NEW YORK (AP) — New York's attorney general on Friday recommended the New York Police Department get out of the business of routine traffic enforcement, a radical change she said would prevent encounters like one last year in the Bronx that escalated quickly and ended with an officer fatally shooting a motorist.

Attorney General Letitia James, who acts as a special prosecutor appointed to investigate certain police killings, argued that traffic stops for minor infractions often end in violence and that Allan Feliz's death last October after he was pulled over for a seat belt violation “further underscores the need for this change.”

James’ office concluded that the NYPD's use of deadly force was justified but that the sequence of events leading to Feliz's death would never have happened if police hadn't stopped him in the first place. Police further heightened tensions by attempting to arrest Feliz on outstanding warrants for low-level offenses such as spitting, littering and disorderly conduct, James' office said.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Yeah, I'm going to call BS on that.
I've been stopped probably close to 40 times in my life. I had a a HEAVY foot for about the first 15 years I drove. The actual number of times one of my stops turned violent is.....wait for it.....zero. It's true, not one time was there any violence. I received tickets about 30 of those times but deserved all 40 if they had wanted to write them. Pull over immediately, roll all your windows down (especially if you have tinted windows), don't reach for anything until requested to do so, and don't be a smart a$$. Don't be mad at the cop for stopping you when you were speeding. You were speeding yesterday and he didn't catch you then but he's not mad at you. It's not that complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 14, 2006
I've been stopped probably close to 40 times in my life. I had a a HEAVY foot for about the first 15 years I drove. The actual number of times one of my stops turned violent is.....wait for it.....zero. It's true, not one time was there any violence. I received tickets about 30 of those times but deserved all 40 if they had wanted to write them. Pull over immediately, roll all your windows down (especially if you have tinted windows), don't reach for anything until requested to do so, and don't be a smart a$$. Don't be mad at the cop for stopping you when you were speeding. You were speeding yesterday and he didn't catch you then but he's not mad at you. It's not that complicated.
Curious why this was edited by a moderator. Can't let him tell his own story?

Jul 9, 2004
If I remember correctly, a minor traffic infraction led to Tim McVeigh's arrest, conviction and subsequent execution. What if that traffic stop wouldn't have happened?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Traffic stops are simply another form of taxation
This is exactly how we know the AG is pandering here and she knows there is no way the state has any intention of giving up the revenue generated by tickets. She's telling people what she thinks they want to hear but money money money money will win out every time in politics.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I’m 100% serious. That’s why there are quotas for officers to write them. They are a revenue stream. It’s why red light cameras were privatized it’s about dollars not safety.
I don't doubt it's about revenue, but I think it's about safety too. It's a voluntary tax that people put themselves of greater risk of being charged the more they break the laws. Now don't get me wrong that's me most days, but I still know it's within my control to not be assed that tax.

I'll ask the obvious question, without the traffic laws doesn't the drive to work, and the kids playing out front, become a lot scarier?

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I don't doubt it's about revenue, but I think it's about safety too. It's a voluntary tax that people put themselves of greater risk of being charged the more they break the laws. Now don't get me wrong that's me most days, but I still know it's within my control to not be assed that tax.

I'll ask the obvious question, without the traffic laws doesn't the drive to work, and the kids playing out front, become a lot scarier?
You can ride a motorcycle without a helmet in some states but you get a ticket for having a brake light out..... it has zero to do with your safety. It’s 100% about revenue.

If it was about safety the speed limit would be 45 cars would have full roll cages 4 point belts and alcohol interlocks would be standard. Fatalities would approach zero under that scenario. But they couldn’t get for $250 for some meaningless infraction.

Mar 11, 2006
You can ride a motorcycle without a helmet in some states but you get a ticket for having a brake light out..... it has zero to do with your safety. It’s 100% about revenue.

If it was about safety the speed limit would be 45 cars would have full roll cages 4 point belts and alcohol interlocks would be standard. Fatalities would approach zero under that scenario. But they couldn’t get for $250 for some meaningless infraction.
6th Street going to become the Autobahn?

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Traffic stops are simply another form of taxation and should be stopped everywhere
F that. I personally grew up with a lot of people that would take full advantage of driving their car at 120 mph, motorcycle at 140 mph or ride a wheelie down main street all while drunk if there was no fear of getting pulled over.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
F that. I personally grew up with a lot of people that would take full advantage of driving their car at 120 mph, motorcycle at 140 mph or ride a wheelie down main street all while drunk if there was no fear of getting pulled over.
So you want a government solution to speeding put governors on cars just like you have emissions requirements and make 120 impossible.....put alcohol interlocks on make drinking and driving near impossible......put enhanced safety equipment in vehicles.
And quit taxing, arresting, putting points and fees and raising insurance on people. That’s what you do if you want safety.....you make a million traffic laws and privatize ticket writing cameras when you want revenue:

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
So you want a government solution to speeding put governors on cars just like you have emissions requirements and make 120 impossible.....put alcohol interlocks on make drinking and driving near impossible......put enhanced safety equipment in vehicles.
And quit taxing, arresting, putting points and fees and raising insurance on people. That’s what you do if you want safety.....you make a million traffic laws and privatize ticket writing cameras when you want revenue:
I'm fine with how it is now. I haven't gotten a ticket in 21 years. It's not really hard not to get them. I commute from Edmond to South OKC for work and do 5-10mph over every commute. I just know to never go past 10 over.