NY AG: NYPD Should Stop Making Traffic Stops

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I'm fine with how it is now. I haven't gotten a ticket in 21 years. It's not really hard not to get them. I commute from Edmond to South OKC for work and do 5-10mph over every commute. I just know to never go past 10 over.
So you knowingly break the law you state is designed for people’s safety without fear of prosecution because you feel the law isn’t enforced as written.

Tickets are taxes. Cops should hiding behind trees for revenue and start serving the community and everything gets better.

Sep 22, 2011
So you want a government solution to speeding put governors on cars just like you have emissions requirements and make 120 impossible.....put alcohol interlocks on make drinking and driving near impossible......put enhanced safety equipment in vehicles.
And quit taxing, arresting, putting points and fees and raising insurance on people. That’s what you do if you want safety.....you make a million traffic laws and privatize ticket writing cameras when you want revenue:
So you would rather have the government control what you can purchase rather that set reasonable limits on what you are allowed to do on government owned roads

Sep 22, 2011
Dont speed, dont drive drunk, dont be on a cell phone or tired while driving, keep your vehicle registered, insured and in safe operating condition and you will never have to deal with a traffic stop. These are also things you do To keep yourself safe and protect your property, this isnt that hard guys

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
So you knowingly break the law you state is designed for people’s safety without fear of prosecution because you feel the law isn’t enforced as written.

Tickets are taxes. Cops should hiding behind trees for revenue and start serving the community and everything gets better.
Yes I do. Because at 5-10 over I am going with the flow of traffic. I'm doing the speed that 80% of the people in my lanes is going also. At 120mph I'd be swerving in and out of lanes and putting everyone else in danger. Plus I know the highway patrol will usually give someone a 5-10mph cushion. Was that supposed to be a gotcha moment?

Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Yes I do. Because at 5-10 over I am going with the flow of traffic. I'm doing the speed that 80% of the people in my lanes is going also. At 120mph I'd be swerving in and out of lanes and putting everyone else in danger. Plus I know the highway patrol will usually give someone a 5-10mph cushion. Was that supposed to be a gotcha moment?
So 80% of people knowingly break the law designed for our safety.....that was at a lower level in the past to save gas....

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
So 80% of people knowingly break the law designed for our safety.....that was at a lower level in the past to save gas....
Well you got me now. I've totally changed my mind and all for totally doing away with traffic stops. Let kids use every street for drag strips and let people drunk drive their a$$es off with no consequences. Let people with no working tail lights or brake lights to drive that car at night. I mean that's not too dangerous when you can't tell if a car is slowing or stopping in front of you in the dark. The main road through my edition runs on the east side of my house. Do away with the 25mph limit and let the kids on the crotch rockets or in their Mustangs go 100. I mean there are sometimes kids out in that street or random dogs that get out of their backyards but I guess they need to get out of the way. Thanks for opening my eyes on this subject.

This is dumb and I'm done arguing about it.

Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
So you would rather have the government control what you can purchase rather that set reasonable limits on what you are allowed to do on government owned roads
No I don’t want traffic stops to be a form of taxation with multi layered fine systems set up. The counter claim was they are about safety....I presented how they aren’t and suggested better ways to actually achieve safety on the roads if you expect a government solution. This was countered with an admittance that the person who says it’s for our safety disregards the rules and does so because “80%” of all drivers do as well. In other words people don’t care about the rule and the majority are disregarding the safety of others at all times when they drive.

Tickets are taxation.....if you don’t pay the ticket they start tacking on more fines and fees that have nothing whatsoever to do with driver safety....it’s a revenue stream that could be eliminated all together or certainly modified with much harsher penalties for truly reckless behavior.....but that’s not the goal the goal is get 80% breaking some law at all times so they can pull folks over and create revenue whenever they choose.

Again they privatized red light cameras and changed the timing of the lights and laws on the books to justify the money. The cities don’t even own/install the cameras in cases..... If I use your car and run a red light you are fined by a private company.....not me and there is no recourse to make me pay....if you don’t pay your driving privileges aren’t suspended they don’t issue a warrant for your arrest you are turned over to collections. That’s not about safety.....that’s about money. If you have a bulb out and didn’t know because you didn’t do a walk around to check all systems on your car and get pulled over get a ticket then forget/can’t at the time/whatever reason fail to pay a warrant is issued for your arrest and your drivers license is suspended and you encounter much larger and sometimes fee schedules during a probationary period......and before you say cops don’t stop people for tail lights maybe talk to some people of color. It’s bullshit to get your money.

Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Well you got me now. I've totally changed my mind and all for totally doing away with traffic stops. Let kids use every street for drag strips and let people drunk drive their a$$es off with no consequences. Let people with no working tail lights or brake lights to drive that car at night. I mean that's not too dangerous when you can't tell if a car is slowing or stopping in front of you in the dark. The main road through my edition runs on the east side of my house. Do away with the 25mph limit and let the kids on the crotch rockets or in their Mustangs go 100. I mean there are sometimes kids out in that street or random dogs that get out of their backyards but I guess they need to get out of the way. Thanks for opening my eyes on this subject.

This is dumb and I'm done arguing about it.
I’m not advocating that you simply lack the ability to see another way to achieve safer roads while you knowingly put people at greater risk by your own admission.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Not sure if I agree with this but for towns like Dickson or Asher it seems like their main source of income.
Used to be for Langston until they routed Highway 33 to the north of town. Still gotta watch out for them sitting out on 33, but it's all 70mph out there. They used to nail people coming into town where the speed limit dropped from 40 to 35 to 25 in a matter of about 100 feet.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I’m 100% serious. That’s why there are quotas for officers to write them. They are a revenue stream. It’s why red light cameras were privatized it’s about dollars not safety.
Then we need to do away with quotas, not the law.

Traffic law is to protect drivers, pedestrians, and property.

Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Then we need to do away with quotas, not the law.

Traffic law is to protect drivers, pedestrians, and property.
Then why not take safer, more reliable, and non punitive methods to more successfully accomplish those protections?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Then why not take safer, more reliable, and non punitive methods to more successfully accomplish those protections?
You mean like the contracted SUV's on the shoulder of the highways and main roads in OKC with cameras on them just pinging your plate to see if you have insurance and then mailing you a bill if you don't?... Intentionally putting a car on the shoulder of I44 during rush hour is probably the most dangerous form of "for your safety" there is...

Bay Area Poke

Banned
Banned
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
You mean like the contracted SUV's on the shoulder of the highways and main roads in OKC with cameras on them just pinging your plate to see if you have insurance and then mailing you a bill if you don't?... Intentionally putting a car on the shoulder of I44 during rush hour is probable the most dangerous form of "for your safety" there is...
If it’s deaths we are worried about (I.e. traffic stops where the offender gets violent and is killed or kills LE), wouldn’t allowing the roads to become the Wild West result in exponentially more deaths due to speeding, DUI, etcetera? The only thing I’m really in disagreement with is the use of K-9s or an officer’s sense of smell for probably cause. In fact I might say the car searches should only be allowed if there’s a warrant attached.

Last edited:

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
You mean like the contracted SUV's on the shoulder of the highways and main roads in OKC with cameras on them just pinging your plate to see if you have insurance and then mailing you a bill if you don't?... Intentionally putting a car on the shoulder of I44 during rush hour is probably the most dangerous form of "for your safety" there is...
Them checking on insurance protects me and my investment in my car and the cars sitting on the shoulders slows the flow of traffic, which makes it safer.