Official Game Thread: Boise State vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
Well, the next game is always the biggest one, but this is pretty big.

A funny thing happened on the way to the third week of the 2018 season: a ranked team is coming to Stillwater before conference play: Boise State. We've been friends before; I remember the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, too. Nice one, Broncos. You have our respect.

Actually, you'd have it regardless. Boise State has all the tools. Out of all the Group of Five teams, they probably have the best track to the CFP if all the dominoes fall the right way. And one of the reasons for that is that we're on their schedule. There are plenty of people out there who expect Boise State to show why they belong in the discussion at the end of the season for a playoff spot this weekend. But here's the thing: those people are forgetting something important. This group of Cowboys aren't here to be somebody's talking point. This stadium wasn't built to be somebody else's proving ground. And this shade of orange won't be so easy on their eyes.

Is Boise State good? You bet. But so are these Cowboys, and last I checked, cowboys usually get the upper hand on broncos.

Go Pokes! Beat the Broncos!

Boise State University Broncos vs. Oklahoma State University Cowboys
Kickoff: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 2:30 PM CDT
at Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK

2018 Records
OSU 2-0 (0-0), BSU 2-0 (0-0)
First meeting

TV: ESPN
Suddenlink: 35/235
Cox: 29
DirecTV: 206
DiSH: 140

Radio:
Cowboy Radio Network (93.7 FM)
Sirius 137, XM 199, Internet 953

Listen Online

OSU Roster

OSU Game Notes

BSU Roster

BSU Game Notes

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Pertinent info from their website:

The Broncos are 3-11 all-time when playing a road game against a ranked team, but won its last such match-up, a 31-14 victory at San Diego State last season.

The last Bronco game featuring a pair of ranked teams came in the 2014 Fiesta Bowl, when 20th-ranked Boise State defeated 10th-ranked Arizona, 38-30.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Should be a great game, I'm a bit worried about the heat for fans and players..but hold out hope that the forecast changes to cooler...However, the forecast temp has been going up rather than down. Oh well, gotta locate those cool zones. Should be a great morning to tailgate, just wish it was a night game...September games in Oklahoma should always be at night.

As far as the game, just hope for the Pokes to play clean and to their potential. Looking for no injuries and a win...any win. Boise is a very good team, best non-con @home since Houston and Georgia years back. Should be fun!

Go Pokes!!!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Should be a great game, I'm a bit worried about the heat for fans and players..but hold out hope that the forecast changes to cooler...However, the forecast temp has been going up rather than down. Oh well, gotta locate those cool zones. Should be a great morning to tailgate, just wish it was a night game...September games in Oklahoma should always be at night.

As far as the game, just hope for the Pokes to play clean and to their potential. Looking for no injuries and a win...any win. Boise is a very good team, best non-con since Houston and Georgia years back. Should be fun!

Go Pokes!!!
Our players should be acclimated to the heat, so I’d assume that would be to our advantage. I understand it’s still not great for fans though.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
That should work to our advantage. In Idaho, 80+ is considered hot. I lived in NW MT for 2 years and they practically freak out if it gets to 90. And it's a lot less humid out there.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Dont underestimate the conditioning of BSU. They are used to practicing in heat. Dry hot climates are just as tough on the lungs as the moist humid heat of Oklahoma. And we do get up to 100+ degrees out here. Fyi, not a Bronco fan...Cowboy alum living in Idaho.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Dont underestimate the conditioning of BSU. They are used to practicing in heat. Dry hot climates are just as tough on the lungs as the moist humid heat of Oklahoma. And we do get up to 100+ degrees out here. Fyi, not a Bronco fan...Cowboy alum living in Idaho.
I don't think it would be a major factor, but to say it won't affect them at all is probably wrong. Over the last couple years I have traveled back and forth from Kalispell MT to OK. The first time I came back here Oct 2016 I felt miserable for about a week and did not want to leave the a/c. And that's after working an outdoor job in the mountains. Boise is 2700ft so the elevation factor really isn't significant enough to notice. 5000-6000ft is when you really start to feel it as far as that goes.
But anyway, I can guarantee they'll be sweating a hell of a lot more than our players will. People laugh at the Phoenix "dry heat" saying, but when you're talking about a state that borders Canada, 90 up there is nothing compared to our 90. When you're driving from there to OK, once you get to a certain point in Kansas, you hit a freaking wall of humidity. After living up there for an extended period of time it's downright miserable.

Jun 29, 2007
San Diego,CA
The BSU road bash is sold out, talk was their road allotment of tix were sold out..they are coming in full force. Our fans need to step up & step up big this is our house & there is going to be alot of blue in there!

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?

As far as the game, just hope for the Pokes to play clean and to their potential. Looking for no injuries and a win...any win. Boise is a very good team, best non-con @home since Houston and Georgia years back. Should be fun!

Go Pokes!!!
I would generally agree....but we are playing a team from Idaho who is good enough to beat us. I want it to be 105 degrees and zero breeze.

Aug 3, 2018
Arizona
oSu has run the most offensive plays than anyone else in the nation. Let's run the little Smurf Pony's into the ground with 50% more plays than they've seen so far this year...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten's most recent column...

Through the first 17 road games after Gundy became the head coach, the Cowboys were 5-12. Gundy got that turned in an impressive manner. In OSU’s past 17 true road games, the record is 15-2.

Now, the trick is to stop losing at home.

The 2015, 2016 and 2017 Cowboys were 30-9. Six of those nine losses occurred on the Boone Pickens Stadium turf. Last season, OSU was the only team in major-college football to record a 6-0 mark in true road games, but 2017 was ruined by the home failures against TCU, Oklahoma and Kansas State.

Sellout crowds witnessed the TCU, OU and K-State games last season, and another big crowd is expected for Boise State-OSU.

A victory over Boise State would be OSU’s most significant in a nonconference home date since Georgia in 2009. On that date, the finally, fully renovated Boone Pickens Stadium was dedicated and the Cowboys prevailed 24-10.

Jan 14, 2006
I read that Boise plays a lot of cover 3. I'd like to see us start out with a bunch of hitches, swings, quick screens and outside runs. Make those northern boys chase us around in the heat and wear them down by the second half.

Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I would generally agree....but we are playing a team from Idaho who is good enough to beat us. I want it to be 105 degrees and zero breeze.
Heat won't matter. No advantage either way. In Oklahoma it's been a crazy cool August /September. We wouldnt be used to 95 and humid anymore than they would this particular year. Non factor. Let's go play!! Go Cowboys!!

Dec 21, 2008
Some very ignorant meteorologists on here. I agree with the poster above about the humidity wall in KS. It’s not just playing a 3hr game vs an up tempo high octane offense. It’s the constant sweating from 11am-6pm. No huddle offense. High blitz probability every snap. Humidity wears you down much more than heat does

Jun 14, 2013
Some very ignorant meteorologists on here. I agree with the poster above about the humidity wall in KS. It’s not just playing a 3hr game vs an up tempo high octane offense. It’s the constant sweating from 11am-6pm. No huddle offense. High blitz probability every snap. Humidity wears you down much more than heat does

in addition, with a 2:30 start, don't the visitors have to stand in the full sun for the whole game.