Official Game Thread: Iowa State vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
oh yeah...haha the reason I feel ok about calling their defense rickety is because this team seems very locked in and will not be looking at it the way I am. Texas is definitely good enough to beat OSU if the Pokes sleepwalk into that game.
They are good enough to beat us even if we don't sleepwalk into that game...We lost to them last year and SS made some freshmen mistakes going to have to play better than today I think...I also think we will win and play better than today (not that we played badly today).

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
How many were there before Gundy? No personal criticism towards you, but fan perspectives suck. For non blue bloods, it’s hard to win a conference, it’s much much harder to win a national championship. I enjoy wins, grateful we aren’t dismal like we have been, and don’t let losses get me down much.
No offense taken. Why compare his record to previous coaches at OSU who underperformed when we want to continue to elevate the program? Gundy is solid and consistent. I'm not unhappy that he is our coach. However, as a fan I would like to see us move up to the next level. Just because it is hard to win championships and finish in the top 10 isn't a reason for me to be happy with our current status. My personal opinion is that his conservative approach just doesn't lend itself to taking us to the next level. It is my opinion. I may be wrong and some stat wizard might even be able to pull data that would strongly refute my opinion. I don't know.

Yes, relative to all other Oklahoma State coaches he is a rock star. However, it would be nice to win a championship every now and then or finish in the top 10. College coaches emphasize to their players to make any incremental improvement that they can. I guess that is what I am looking for as well. Maybe this year they will catch that lightning in a bottle and accomplish these things and I will be happy about that and happy for Gundy.
I think we will all realize how much we miss him when he’s gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
SS was coming off injury and not playing in a game in over a month, but still by all accounts was near 100% for the last 3 weeks. His play today in a nutshell is what he is. I agree he had his moments running the ball, but the majority of his quality carries came when he dropped back to throw first and the seas parted for a nice run. I do feel as long as he stays healthy he’s the guy for the rest of the year. If we fail to win the conference title then I would expect a QB battle starting in the spring. Illingworth has a high ceiling as a passer as expressed on Orangepower many times. Just my opinion.

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
They are good enough to beat us even if we don't sleepwalk into that game...We lost to them last year and SS made some freshmen mistakes going to have to play better than today I think...I also think we will win and play better than today (not that we played badly today).
yeah that's probably true. but when we played texas last year they were healthy and came close to beating an unbelievable LSU team. then they got decimated by injuries and don't have a lot of the dudes they did last year. was also sanders's first big 12 game.

still agree that texas can't be overlooked, like every non Kansas big 12 team...but I feel better than I did last year. they lost a lot and seem to be having some locker room issues, we've returned almost everyone and they all seem to have matured and gotten better

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
My point is you have no basis to tell him he's been too conservative...he knows what he's doing and you...my friend, aren't him. I'd also like to be a bit more aggressive at times...but we didn't need it today...he is aggressive when we need it...but sometimes that doesn't work either. When you know your team is better sometimes you play close to the cuff and you win games like we did today. Was NEVER in doubt really, just uncomfortable at the end. I'd rather be conservative and win than needlessly aggressive and lose.
Basis?? Dude this is a message forum....not like he's listening to little ole me. Besides we're allowed to have opinions last time I checked....If you disagree, cool man. If you read my comments in the game thread...its quite positive. I didn't like how the 4th quarter was managed, so I said what I said. I'm not saying up tempo all 4 quarters, but IMO we had a chance to make a 3 score game and IMO Gundy went to his usual conservative self and protected the lead. I'm simply talking about putting scoreboard pressure on your opponent... Playing conservative ball is not championship football IMO. Gundy let his foot off the gas, and barely won. If he does that against KSU or OU.....both teams will make him and and we'll be talking about how we lost.

Dec 17, 2011
Sanders made some incredible on the run throw passes that I did not expect at all. The guy has some real talent and im glad we have him as our starter

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Sanders made some incredible on the run throw passes that I did not expect at all. The guy has some real talent and im glad we have him as our starter
he may not be Brandon Weeden or anything right now (who's to say he's incapable of getting that good if he continues to work his tail off; and yes I know, two completely different types of QBs) but he's certainly good enough with the dudes he has around him. He can get the ball to Chuba, Tylan, Woods, Stoner, etc and let them do their thing; all the while knowing we've got a defense that loves to wreck shop

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Basis?? Dude this is a message forum....not like he's listening to little ole me. Besides we're allowed to have opinions last time I checked....If you disagree, cool man. If you read my comments in the game thread...its quite positive. I didn't like how the 4th quarter was managed, so I said what I said. I'm not saying up tempo all 4 quarters, but IMO we had a chance to make a 3 score game and IMO Gundy went to his usual conservative self and protected the lead. I'm simply talking about putting scoreboard pressure on your opponent... Playing conservative ball is not championship football IMO. Gundy let his foot off the gas, and barely won. If he does that against KSU or OU.....both teams will make him and and we'll be talking about how we lost.
We won...it's all good...we all have opinions. No biggie...just don't like it when folks get critical right after a big win...and this was indeed a big win over a ranked team on a roll. Also, it was obvious we were better than them so I didn't overly mind the conservative play calling at the end of the game...it was going to take a very unlikely scenario for ISU to win...so it didn't cost us. We won't be that conservative against KSU on the road and even Texas this next week at home...can't overlook anyone at all. Our games are too close unless we are just clearly in another league. However our play calling today was mostly very good.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Did you watch the same football game I did? Have you seen how incredibly talented Sanders is?
I think Illingworth is going to be great, but Sanders is can do things with his feet that can’t be coached. He had one good TD run and had another called back on a phantom Wallace hold.
I was at the game and Sanders is still fundamentally unsound in his decision making. He doesn't have the same touch Illingworth has. We are headed for Bobby Reid 2.0.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
OK, I will admit that I have only been a true OSU fan for about 12 years, as I became a fan when my first born started attending OSU. (we had previously lived in Texas) I first started to be enamored with OSU football when I saw Gundy going to the sideline and writing down script/notes for offense while defense was on field during his first year as HC (I think) Not sure why I shared that, but some of you fans are quite amazing in your complaints on this team, coach, players, etc.
1. Gundy is a really good coach, and I would/will hate to lose him. Do you/I always agree with the decisions he makes? NO Do you/I have any experience coaching college football at this level? NO Do you/I sometimes think this is easy and would make better moves than him? YES
2A. OSU coaching staff does more with less than almost any program in the country...see pic that I added (I can't find an updated one).
2B. I have many annoying uo friends, but one in particular is very annoying and always rubbing in my face how much better they are than us, more big 12 championships, more national championships, more CFB playoff appearances, etc. I would always tell him, I am a fan, I love my Cowboys, I realize we are not on the same level as uo most years simply because of the players both programs get. He would blow off my statements. GA beat uo couple years back and he said he wasn't overly upset cuz GA just had better dudes/players than uo had....I laughed, and said that is what I have been saying.
3. SS had a good game, 2 picks led to 14 ISU pts, but he played really good. It is nice to have SI in the wings if SS struggles or goes down again. Nice problem to have - 2 dudes that could/should start.
4. Our D is really, really good!
5.. You have every right to bitch, moan, complain, show off your football knowledge...but how about just enjoy this run and these Saturdays to take our mind off of this crazy world we live in, enjoy watching, cheering, and supporting our OSU Cowboys!
Ej1jx4UU8AA9o-T.jpeg

that's all....Go Pokes!

Aug 16, 2012
OK, I will admit that I have only been a true OSU fan for about 12 years, as I became a fan when my first born started attending OSU. (we had previously lived in Texas) I first started to be enamored with OSU football when I saw Gundy going to the sideline and writing down script/notes for offense while defense was on field during his first year as HC (I think) Not sure why I shared that, but some of you fans are quite amazing in your complaints on this team, coach, players, etc.
1. Gundy is a really good coach, and I would/will hate to lose him. Do you/I always agree with the decisions he makes? NO Do you/I have any experience coaching college football at this level? NO Do you/I sometimes think this is easy and would make better moves than him? YES
2A. OSU coaching staff does more with less than almost any program in the country...see pic that I added (I can't find an updated one).
2B. I have many annoying uo friends, but one in particular is very annoying and always rubbing in my face how much better they are than us, more big 12 championships, more national championships, more CFB playoff appearances, etc. I would always tell him, I am a fan, I love my Cowboys, I realize we are not on the same level as uo most years simply because of the players both programs get. He would blow off my statements. GA beat uo couple years back and he said he wasn't overly upset cuz GA just had better dudes/players than uo had....I laughed, and said that is what I have been saying.
3. SS had a good game, 2 picks led to 14 ISU pts, but he played really good. It is nice to have SI in the wings if SS struggles or goes down again. Nice problem to have - 2 dudes that could/should start.
4. Our D is really, really good!
5.. You have every right to bitch, moan, complain, show off your football knowledge...but how about just enjoy this run and these Saturdays to take our mind off of this crazy world we live in, enjoy watching, cheering, and supporting our OSU Cowboys!
View attachment 86545
that's all....Go Pokes!
A picture says a thousand words

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I was at the game and Sanders is still fundamentally unsound in his decision making. He doesn't have the same touch Illingworth has. We are headed for Bobby Reid 2.0.
On tv he seems really good...especially on running plays and has high gear in that way...SI is a different kind of player...a wonderful but mostly drop back passer. I do think he's ultimately going to be the better player for us, but SS gives us another dimension IF he can shore up the turnovers. I must say I was concerned about this game mostly with SS starting after the long off period, but I thought he did very nicely considering all the time off. His runs weren't tentative and he's throws were mostly pretty good. The one on a full sprit was a thing of beauty.

Apr 7, 2006
I'm amazed. Sanders played one of the better defensive units we'll see this year with his first complete game in almost a year. He ended up with 71 yards rushing, 20/29 passing with 235 and threw to 8 guys and I come on here to see people complaining about him.

Stop finding things to complain about and enjoy the fact that we're in the drivers seat in the conference and playing good football.