Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board prepped to commute the sentence of 100's on Nov 1st

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
New Oklahoma sentencing reform laws go into effect Nov 1st.

The Board said aprox 800 current inmates will be eligible to be released on Nov 1st. These are people serving time for simple possession only as their only charge. The Board said all the prework has been done and these people should be released ASAP

Next will be those who have multiple charges but possession is the longest sentence they are serving. 600 inmates fall into this category

The board said their goal is to have these inmates released and commuted in time for the holidays

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Years ago, Oklahoma Democrats made those overly harsh anti-drug laws, surely with Republicans going along with it, and recently Republicans had to be made dragging and screaming before they would change them. They and the county DAs sure didn't like the voter initiative that helped lead up to it. This DA sure didn't seem to like justice reform efforts: https://www.news9.com/story/4123478...es-da-of-illegally-targeting-political-rivals

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Years ago, Oklahoma Democrats made those overly harsh anti-drug laws, surely with Republicans going along with it, and recently Republicans had to be made dragging and screaming before they would change them. They and the county DAs sure didn't like the voter initiative that helped lead up to it. This DA sure didn't seem to like justice reform efforts: https://www.news9.com/story/4123478...es-da-of-illegally-targeting-political-rivals
FYI, almost all simple possession convictions are a result of a plea deal on a much more serious felony. I have no real sympathy for them. They are there for a good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
FYI, almost all simple possession convictions are a result of a plea deal on a much more serious felony. I have no real sympathy for them. They are there for a good reason.

LOL, better to have been smart enough to be caught with tobacco or alcohol as nothing would have happened. Even if DWI, they probably would not have gone to prison, unless it was the third conviction. I'm not sympathetic toward drunks driving drunk, myself.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm not really sympathetic to anyone breaking the law and expecting to not pay any consequences for it. You know it's illegal, you know you could get jail time, so don't complain when it happens. Now do I personally think simple possession should equal jail time? No I don't. I also don't think I should get a ticket for going 40 in a 35 but I know that's the law and I'll accept the punishment if I get caught.

Of course now that pot is "legal", people can stay high all the time and not have to worry about jail time.....how awesome for them.

Edit - I should clarify that I don't have a problem with letting these people out. Times change, laws change, set them free and save the taxpayer money that was being used to incarcerate them (have to pay for that legislature raise somehow). I would only hesitate if there is any truth to what Gumby said, that the possession is the plea to what was originally a more serious crime...that should be taken into account. Otherwise I could care less.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I'm not really sympathetic to anyone breaking the law and expecting to not pay any consequences for it. You know it's illegal, you know you could get jail time, so don't complain when it happens. Now do I personally think simple possession should equal jail time? No I don't. I also don't think I should get a ticket for going 40 in a 35 but I know that's the law and I'll accept the punishment if I get caught.

Of course now that pot is "legal", people can stay high all the time and not have to worry about jail time.....how awesome for them.

Edit - I should clarify that I don't have a problem with letting these people out. Times change, laws change, set them free and save the taxpayer money that was being used to incarcerate them (have to pay for that legislature raise somehow). I would only hesitate if there is any truth to what Gumby said, that the possession is the plea to what was originally a more serious crime...that should be taken into account. Otherwise I could care less.
FWIW, I heard on a radio interview that over 90% of simple possession sentences were pursuant to a plea deal. Of course you only plea to a lesser charge.

Nov 6, 2010
FWIW, I heard on a radio interview that over 90% of simple possession sentences were pursuant to a plea deal. Of course you only plea to a lesser charge.

Most likely down from possession with intent to distribute. It's not like these folks are pleading guilty to possession to avoid manslaughter charges. Either way, it's about MJ, which virtually everyone from all sides of the political spectrum have come to accept is not criminal anymore.