One Professor's Experience Teaching the OSU Football Team

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 21, 2008
For the record, I taught at OSU from 2005 to 2011, and I taught a majority of the football players in that time frame. The only thing I can speak to specifically is academics. I taught EVERY high profile football player in that time. And I was NEVER pressured to pass them. In fact, it was the exact opposite. If a player wasn't performing in the classroom, I called the Academic Center AND the advisers or position coaches, and in EVERY SINGLE CASE I was told, "If they're not doing the work, then fail them. They need to learn."

In addition, I had Coach Gundy step in my class doing class checks to make sure his players were there. I also sat in the Academic Center and watched the tutors with the athletes. They never, EVER did the work for them. Like I said, I can mainly speak to academics; that's what I dealt with. But I can also tell you that there is a great difference between those student/athletes who are defending the program and those who are accusing the program. The accusers were marginal students at best. Those defending the program were excellent men in and out of the classroom.

Just one man's experience.

Aug 28, 2010
OKC
Professor, thanks. They are placing any and all responses contrary to the SI report on the official website. I would put this in a more official format or perhaps email Mike Holder with your name, statement, and time of witnessing this.

Aug 21, 2008
My name? John H. Curry, Ph.D. I was an Assistant Professor in the Educational Technology Program in the College of Education from June 2005 to December 2011.

I've got nothing to hide, folks. Plenty of people have screen names that are pseudonyms.

As for credibility, I was clear. This reflects my experience, and I can only speak to the academic allegations.

I stand by what I said.

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
@PokeProf Please take Jason Whitlock's advice and share your experience with the world. Reach out to news media.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Jan 11, 2013
Toluca Lake California
My name? John H. Curry, Ph.D. I was an Assistant Professor in the Educational Technology Program in the College of Education from June 2005 to December 2011.

I've got nothing to hide, folks. Plenty of people have screen names that are pseudonyms.

As for credibility, I was clear. This reflects my experience, and I can only speak to the academic allegations.

I stand by what I said.
I sincerely thank you sir!

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

I stand by what I said.
Perfection.

Sep 7, 2009
Waco
For the record, I taught at OSU from 2005 to 2011, and I taught a majority of the football players in that time frame. The only thing I can speak to specifically is academics. I taught EVERY high profile football player in that time. And I was NEVER pressured to pass them. In fact, it was the exact opposite. If a player wasn't performing in the classroom, I called the Academic Center AND the advisers or position coaches, and in EVERY SINGLE CASE I was told, "If they're not doing the work, then fail them. They need to learn."

In addition, I had Coach Gundy step in my class doing class checks to make sure his players were there. I also sat in the Academic Center and watched the tutors with the athletes. They never, EVER did the work for them. Like I said, I can mainly speak to academics; that's what I dealt with. But I can also tell you that there is a great difference between those student/athletes who are defending the program and those who are accusing the program. The accusers were marginal students at best. Those defending the program were excellent men in and out of the classroom.

Just one man's experience.
Thank you Professor... you have my support, for whatever that is worth. Aspart of the OSU family, we bleed and live orange, and at this time we stand together and stand strong. COWBOY UP!

Jax

Wrangler
Jan 26, 2010
Jacksonville Florida

I stand by what I said.

Thank you

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com

I stand by what I said.

Thank you for doing this!!!!

Sep 22, 2011
I sincerely hope your response gets into the hands of holder and the OSU administration. To me the only way these are refuted is with a wave of statements from people directly involved in the situation speaking out.