OSU baseball at Arizona State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
This team needs to settle into an offensive identity

Last year we struck out a lot, but everyone knew what we hung our hat on and we got really good at it.

We're kind of piddling around with not being good at anything, but, yet, still striking out a lot

We need to figure out what we are good at and them roll with it

Nov 14, 2010
It’s a tough call if torkelson hits a gap or a bomb then it’s why didn’t you walk the best hitter in college baseball. Then if you do walk him and the next guy gets a hit it’s like well why did you walk him. It worked out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I enjoy the baseball back and forth on this page

We have good baseball fans

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
It’s a tough call if torkelson hits a gap or a bomb then it’s why didn’t you walk the best hitter in college baseball. Then if you do walk him and the next guy gets a hit it’s like well why did you walk him. It worked out though.

Leeper threw two good inside fastballs to the last batter jambing him twice with the last one a pop up to end the game. Rob called 9 sliders out of 10 pitches at one point and that makes a pitcher lose his feel for his mid 90's fastball. Under the circumstances he did a great job. Rob pitches his 88mph pitchers the same as he does his 95mph pitchers. I can't get my mind around that.

Last edited:

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
This team needs to settle into an offensive identity

Last year we struck out a lot, but everyone knew what we hung our hat on and we got really good at it.

We're kind of piddling around with not being good at anything, but, yet, still striking out a lot

We need to figure out what we are good at and them roll with it
We’ve been pretty good at getting on base. 48 base runners in 4 games. The problem is we have 45ks. Bb/k ratio is about 1/3.5. Gotta figure out how to put the ball in play.

Nov 14, 2010
Leeper threw two good inside fastballs to the last batter jambing him twice with the last one a pop up to end the game. Rob called 9 sliders out of 10 pitches at one point and that makes a pitcher lose his feel for his mid 90's fastball. Under the circumstances he did a great job. Rob pitches his 88mph pitchers the same as he does his 95mph pitchers. I can't get my mind around that.
Rob forces every pitcher to pitch hss style instead of to their strengths

It's my biggest complaint about anything in the program

He's huge on effective velocity vs actual velocity

It's great if guys can throw strikes

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Two outs and a base open do you walk tork?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I don’t think you can walk the winning run to scoring position.

Eh?

It’s incredibly risky. Especially when leeper isn’t the best strike thrower.

I dont disagree. I was sweating bullets when it got to 2-0.

Or if you walk the bases loaded and then walk in the tying run you're an idiot for sacrificing your only margin for error. Like you say, it all worked out and I will take it. This time

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
With a 90% chance of rain this Sunday, I would expect the Sunday game moved to Saturday to make it a DH although there is a 50% that day. (According to weather dot com)

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Standlee pitched a gem! I don't care if Roger Clemens is on the mound, 18 strikeouts in 1 game in unacceptable. If Cab can keep it going and play the way everyone thinks/knows he can - that would be huge for this team..........

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
I think Standlee is a horse that we need in the weekend rotation. What a performance by him. And, I don’t know what his role will be, but Davis is looking great. I almost wonder if we should give him a shot at that Sunday spot. Very very composed for a freshman.
I’ve been a huge Standlee fan ever since he stepped up in the Big 12 Championship game last year for 7 solid innings.

Fly

Greenhorn
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Standlee stepped up big last night and I think his experience as a weekend starter last season is a big plus. My concern is Leeper and his struggles as a closer. Going back to last season and now in his first 2 appearances he in and out of trouble. I know some of it is on his infielders, but he still been shakey. Is the Mitchell Stone kid hurt or has Rob just lost confidence in the kid?

Nov 14, 2010
On the intangible side of things

Standlee is a huge personality and is very very well liked

Hes very funny, keeps everone loose and has a tremendous amount of positive energy

But . At the same time is very competitive and knows when to buckle down

He is a guy that everyone on the team would most definitely rally behind because they feed off of his positive energy and the way he keepa things loose

Nov 14, 2010
Standlee stepped up big last night and I think his experience as a weekend starter last season is a big plus. My concern is Leeper and his struggles as a closer. Going back to last season and now in his first 2 appearances he in and out of trouble. I know some of it is on his infielders, but he still been shakey. Is the Mitchell Stone kid hurt or has Rob just lost confidence in the kid?
There are certain benchmarks in terms of control and command of pitches Rob's pitchers have to hit in their bullpens for them to get any kind of meaningful game time

I don't have any information on this particular player or situation, but my best guess is that those benchmarks have consistently not been met for the pitchers that are healthy, but not getting mound time.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com

Holliday said just before the season started that he's dealing with a back issue. It sounded like he'll pitch this year at some point, but with a guy that big with that many moving parts, they'll need to bring him along slowly. Especially if he hasn't even been throwing at all since the fall.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
On the intangible side of things

Standlee is a huge personality and is very very well liked

Hes very funny, keeps everone loose and has a tremendous amount of positive energy

But . At the same time is very competitive and knows when to buckle down

He is a guy that everyone on the team would most definitely rally behind because they feed off of his positive energy and the way he keepa things loose

I would certainly imagine that with Scott and Standlee on the mound, it gives everyone a chance to settle down a bit. That's why I want both in the weekend rotation to chew up as many innings as possible and be able to start a game so that everyone else can calm down a bit from the get go.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Don’t look now, but Grand Canyon beat Oregon last night, so maybe GCU isn’t as bad as we thought. I know we should take, at worst, 2 of 3 against teams like that, but maybe they’re going to surprise some people this year.

Aug 1, 2008
There are certain benchmarks in terms of control and command of pitches Rob's pitchers have to hit in their bullpens for them to get any kind of meaningful game time

I don't have any information on this particular player or situation, but my best guess is that those benchmarks have consistently not been met for the pitchers that are healthy, but not getting mound time.
RW knows best!!!