OSU baseball at Arizona State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
My guess is that it’s poor of a contact hitter as Trenkle has been so far, we wind up with exactly the same circumstances. They walk Poc with one out and face Garcia.

So bunting or not does not matter. Until he shows he can make consistent contact, I bunt him all day and force them to make a play.
In that case, then you can afford to lose Polcocich's bat even less.

It didn't render the same results.....
It opened up 1st base and took the bat out of Polcovichs hands

Then forced Garcia into an impossible at bat

If Trenkle k's Polcovich gets to hit

Nov 14, 2010
My guess is that it’s poor of a contact hitter as Trenkle has been so far, we wind up with exactly the same circumstances. They walk Poc with one out and face Garcia.

So bunting or not does not matter. Until he shows he can make consistent contact, I bunt him all day and force them to make a play.
They're not gping to walk Polc with runners at 1st and 2nd

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
In that case, then you can afford to lose Polcocich's bat even less.

It didn't render the same results.....
It opened up 1st base and took the bat out of Polcovichs hands

Then forced Garcia into an impossible at bat

If Trenkle k's Polcovich gets to hit
Doubtful. They clearly did not want him to hit with a runner in scoring position which there was. They would still have likely walked him to face Garcia. And with Trenkle’s speed, the opportunity arises for an errant throw. If he K’s that chance does not exist.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Garcia just needs to put the ball in play in that situation. That’s what it comes down to. If he can’t then people will just eventually pitch around polcovitch. He’s hitting clean up he’s supposed to drive in runs with the bases loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010
Doubtful. They clearly did not want him to hit with a runner in scoring position which there was. They would still have likely walked him to face Garcia.
They would not walk a 2nd run into scoring position with the double play already in order

The biggest part of walking Polc was that it took away the ground ball from the offense

Thus...Garcia has to find something to elevate which he wasn't going to get

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Just going to have to agree to disagree. Have to make Trenkle’s AB somehow productive. 0-3 with 3 K’s, the bunt is the best way. Just underscores how important it is to have a good contact hitter in the 2 hole. Trenkle May be the guy, but right now he isn’t. Garcia has shown to be a decent situational hitter last year and will likely be again this year. Just didn’t happen this time.

Nov 14, 2010
Just going to have to agree to disagree. Have to make Trenkle’s AB somehow productive. 0-3 with 3 K’s, the bunt is the best way. Garcia has shown to be a decent situational hitter last year and will likely be again this year.
Giving up outs while simultaneusly taking the bat out of your best hitters hands and forcing a strike out hitter to situatuonal hit without the option of being able to hit a ground is not productive

Its blind loyalty to the bunt game which has beeen priven many times over to not be statistically advantageous