OSU Coaching changes thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 17, 2011
On a side note it's just weird for seasn to leave unless something was happening. You dont leave Gundy's system after a year. Give it to him, gundy promotes OCs and people want them. Sean took a step down, yes it must be to move closer to home but I wonder if it is possibly more. As in Gundy was telling him he would have less play calls and what not.

Jan 14, 2006
I don't think we'll hear anything about Monken until the Browns sort out their coaching situation. Last thing I read was that he is still employed by them.

If I were to guess, Dunn will be OC, we'll hire a new QB coach and if Monken comes back at all it will be as a consultant.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Hmm. Just caught up. Let me get this straight.
Gundy head coach. Dunn assistant HC and receivers coach. Todd Monken is coming back and bringing hell with him. Gleason is leaving to make room for Todd. We have 25 5 star recruits signed. Boone’s will left us 3 billion to use on recruiting. And the best part is Riley left UO for Dallas and has been replaced by John Blake. Am I caught up?
....and we all lived happily ever after.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
On a side note it's just weird for seasn to leave unless something was happening. You dont leave Gundy's system after a year. Give it to him, gundy promotes OCs and people want them. Sean took a step down, yes it must be to move closer to home but I wonder if it is possibly more. As in Gundy was telling him he would have less play calls and what not.
Chicken or egg ?
Gleeson wants out before Dunn.coming back or after ?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Monken is exactly what we need right now for that attitude and swagger and to keep a fire lit under Gundy's ass.
So why would Gundy bringing in his preferred OC both last year and this one..."lite a fire under his arse" :blink:

Does he lite his own fires?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
My guess is that he's a Yankee and wanted to go back to Yankeeland. The thing is, any kind of success at Rutgers is going to be hard to find with Penn State and Ohio State in your division. Rutgers doesn't belong in the B1G, and Syracuse doesn't belong in the ACC. Schiano might win some games, but the days of Rutgers making a NY6 game are over.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
We all know that the HC in Cleveland is out, but his assistants were retained. Once the newly hired HC is ready, he will announce his staff.
With that in mind, it's more often that a new HC will have his own people in mind, which would give Monken an opportunity to return to OSU.

I've heard nothing official about any of this, but this sounds pretty feasible as Gleeson jumps back to Jersey with a big raise. It could have been a great thing for all concerned -- Gleeson returns to Jersey, his wife has better shopping opportunities than Walmart, Monken is free to roam the country away from Cleveland ("The Place Where Quarterbacks Go To Die"), Gundy gets to keep Dunn (A major coup) and possibly a return by Monken (which completes the ball sack of Monken and Dunn) giving us some swagger and fire.

With the announcement of Wallace returning, Dunn remaining, Sanders healthy with an exciting backup QB in the wings and Joe Bob staying would give us a great cake to celebrate with. If Chuba stays for another year, that's just the icing on said cake.

Gundy having Dunn and Monken would be his best move in a decade. Those two coaches taking a more active role in the offense and recruiting is exciting. I believe Knowles is starting to get his defense together. Put any kind of defense with a Monken offense and "meat's back on the menu, boys!".

Let's hope it's not just a dream.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Yurcich is a damn good OC. I wish he’d have stayed out of our conference. Our former OC with intimate knowledge of our offense (and Ohio State’s) now coaching a team full of 5 star players isn’t a good thing for OSU.
Well, that's certainly an overly optimistic opinion of our team's immediate chances of facing the Ohio State in a CFP bowl game.
I applaud your optimism, sir.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
That's why you have to slow down and hunt 'rattlers' every so often.
I could see Gundy eventually retiring to be a Gentleman Rancher as he rides the fence line on his favorite jackass with his shirt off showing his rapidly growing, Dad-bod beer gut.

Then on occasion taking his own helicopter with The Mullett logo on the side and bottom to a rattlesnake roundup in the Kansas-Oklahoma-Texas region where he puts on a snake-handling/football coaching, TED talk.

Perhaps getting together with Big Country to attend a live cattle auction (which is a lot more fun than a dead cattle auction), drink some beer and talk about their son's lives and grandkids, while the wives go pull weeds and place fresh flowers on the graves of Eddie Sutton and Pat Jones.

And OSU football is better than ever.

......Aaaand scene.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I could see Gundy eventually retiring to be a Gentleman Rancher as he rides the fence line on his favorite jackass with his shirt off showing his rapidly growing, Dad-bod beer gut.

Then on occasion taking his own helicopter with The Mullett logo on the side and bottom to a rattlesnake roundup in the Kansas-Oklahoma-Texas region where he puts on a snake-handling/football coaching, TED talk.

Perhaps getting together with Big Country to attend a live cattle auction (which is a lot more fun than a dead cattle auction), drink some beer and talk about their son's lives and grandkids, while the wives go pull weeds and place fresh flowers on the graves of Eddie Sutton and Pat Jones.

And OSU football is better than ever.

......Aaaand scene.
I might disagree about the cattle auction part. Have you ever bid on a side of prime beef?