OSU Men's Basketball banned from postseason for 2020-21

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 2, 2011
Sweet sixteen in 05, but I get your point.

If I'm Cade, I'm going to the d league like some other players recently. Too much uncertainty around too many programs. There are so many programs that have been shown to do more to hurt the integrity of recruiting, though I don't have much optimism that the punishment will fit the crimes, rather just the current stature of the programs.
Correct I meant 05

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Then I don't think we're disagreeing with one another.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
"Why should the current players be robbed of a postseason because a former assistant took a bribe?"

This is where we disagree.
So you think the basketball program, regardless of how it's current members relate to the malfeasance, should be held accountable. Is that what you're saying?

If so, then I don't think we disagree. Should OSU hold some accountability for hiring someone of Evans' character in the first place? Yes.

Should the punishment for doing so be so heavy that players who have likely never met the man are forced to attend other universities? Absolutely not.

Nov 6, 2010
Again, how else should a penalty be levied?

I'm not debating the severity or appropriateness of this specific penalty, but if you don't penalize the institution, who do you penalize & how?
Well, Lamont Evans is serving time I believe. Why not let that be the punishment for the actual crime?? If I get a DUI leaving happy hour, no one would ever imagine penalizing my company (and I'm not talking about an official company event or anything.) Might also throw in the coaches that are making millions and were ultimately the ones responsible for their programs, but I'd settle for whoever actually committed the crime. Now I realize this situation is a bit unique given that most NCAA infractions don't involve an actual crime, but this one did, and the punishment was levied.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
So you think the basketball program, regardless of how it's current members relate to the malfeasance, should be held accountable. Is that what you're saying?

If so, then I don't think we disagree. Should OSU hold some accountability for hiring someone of Evans' character in the first place? Yes.

Should the punishment for doing so be so heavy that players who have likely never met the man are forced to attend other universities? Absolutely not.

Yes, the school & program should be penalized, absolutely. The coaches should be too, obviously, but they get to skate on this stuff all the time.

Dec 21, 2008
I initially thought he was pushing kids for $1000s in bribes to an agent? Now it’s a $300 payment?

so what exactly is the crime that has lead to all this?

I feel the school should pay a hefty fine, Underwood should pay a hefty fine and one yr or non-conf suspension and some kind of probation. The punishment is not even close to matching the crime. I mean Coach Sutton could’ve killed someone drinking in school property and we didn’t get punished....

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So we fire the coach involved and hire a fine young up and coming coach and man...and we get hammered while the former head coach, KU, Louisville, Duke, Kentucky, et al...WALK! NO FREAKING WAY... this shouldn't stand and I'm happy to see our AD fighting like hell against this crap. The ONLY way this is mildly allowable is if KU and others get absolutely FRIED.

Dec 21, 2008
Self will go to the Spurs if they get hit. Slocum was his old roommate and wants him in San Antonio. He lied and committed crimes so he will walk into a $5-10M contract in the NBA and get in zero trouble

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
As long as other schools get similar punishments for similar infractions, then we can't really complain too much. However, I think we all suspect that any blue blood might skate by with less severe penalties.....plus the blue bloods can more easily recover from any penalties they do receive.

Finally had some real positive traction in basketball, such a long climb to get out of the shadow of the Ford years and this will render that climb useless, basically slapping the program back down to where it was right after Ford left. It will be 5 years before we can realistically start that climb again. Just sucks.

Underwood looking like a pretty sh!tty hire right about now....yes hindsight is 20/20 but man.....just depressing.

Dec 21, 2008
30014EE4-ECCA-49B2-BAE8-7B2E788A187C.jpeg

I really don’t think these kids will want to abandon Coach. I couldn’t tell you another Coach who has been through so much in 4 years. It’s absolutely stunning.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Self will go to the Spurs if they get hit. Slocum was his old roommate and wants him in San Antonio. He lied and committed crimes so he will walk into a $5-10M contract in the NBA and get in zero trouble

RC Buford's the guy I think you're talking about here.

It'll be interesting, given the fact they seem to be grooming Tim Duncan for HC.

Aug 31, 2013
This is absolutely terrible. NCAA is a complete joke. HCMB has been thru more crap in 4 years than most coaches see in a liftetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
If Cade now goes semi-Pro, then I see this as the avalanche start of all big names doing it and then the NBA will eventually just lift the 1 year post-HS rule and guys will just go straight to NBA.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Only the NCAA can take a situation where they can get TV dollars from people wanting to watch the number 1 pick in the draft and lose that money by putting the team on probation for a crime they didn't commit, and got absolutely ZERO benefit from said crime.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
If Cade now goes semi-Pro, then I see this as the avalanche start of all big names doing it and then the NBA will eventually just lift the 1 year post-HS rule and guys will just go straight to NBA.
It's already happening with the one kid going straight to the G league for $500k. The one & doners are largely gonna become none & doners very quickly. With the NBA raising salaries in the G league & really investing in it, they're on the cusp of their own viable minor league that'll attract top talent & pay them well. Adam Silver's also as much as said the one & done rule is likely gone by 2022.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Questions...

1. Who is on the NCAA panel and what schools did they attend or are they affiliated with?
2. Why does it take 2 years to do investigations when the school is totally cooperating?
3. Why does the NCAA think it's remotely a good idea to punish a school for doing something that it already punished itself for doing and disallow it to climb out by being so damned slow? Then they go and punish the innocent coach and kids that he's bringing in and STEAL their experiences. That's a travesty.
4. SO...We fired the coach involved, we hired a good man as HC, the other from HC coach, Underwood bolted...AND... has no sanctions? Why in God's Green Earth is this true?

I think we can not only appeal but also sue for damages if they don't overturn this...seriously bad decision. I thought the ncaa was past making program busting decisions. Guess not if they see you as a little guy. I think we would win the lawsuit.

Last edited: