OSU reviews Hubbard pic

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 18, 2010
If he had only punched his gf on tape, then the tape Could be hidden for 12 months and then once reviewed by the coaches they would be shocked!! And state if they only knew this tape existed before now.. oh... wait....
Any time I hear the local radio shows condemn an athletes domestic abuse, I immediately recall how quick they were to excuse an OU player literally breaking a woman's face on camera. Where were your rants and outrage then? Where was the journalistic investigation into the cover up? Why was everyone okay with Mixon CONTINUING TO PLAY FOOTBALL AT OU?

That whole town cursed itself with how they treated that girl.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
From listening to him, he has an old grudge with Gundy that doesn't necessarily involve OSU football. But being part of the OKC media/OU propaganda machine, he's been empowered to lump the two together and go for maximum damage.
Any time I hear the local radio shows condemn an athletes domestic abuse, I immediately recall how quick they were to excuse an OU player literally breaking a woman's face on camera. Where were your rants and outrage then? Where was the journalistic investigation into the cover up? Why was everyone okay with Mixon CONTINUING TO PLAY FOOTBALL AT OU?

That whole town cursed itself with how they treated that girl.
Not to mention a redeemed paye/playerr that now hosts not only local radio but ESPN games; got a bottle you want to throw around Dusty?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
With all the time spent coaching, advising and teaching the players, could we please allot 30 minutes to explain, passing out cash on the sidelines on TV, or selfies in front of luxury vehicles is not a good look. It's really not that complicated and those of us who remember 0-10-1 are not amused.
Yes the cash looked off, but it was $40 that he handed to a guy and the guy gave it back. Done several times.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2006
Slight tangent...

Seeing Sam Mayes Twitter post I'm reminded of just how much I dislike the guy.

He sold his soul to the OU fanbase and pretty much decided to distance himself from OSU - just to get a career in radio. Guessing Traber showed him how it's done.

Neither are one of us and both would completely destroy OSU if it got their ratings up even a little.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
In radio here myself and I would never trash OSU like Sam has done and is continuing to do. I have no idea why he thought that would be a good idea. There are other ways to further your career then trashing your alma mater, legal ways. Sad that he chose to go that route.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
How is the Dealership in Edmonton posting that Chuba took a test drive any different than a post from Riley Elite, a private trainer that posted a video of Thomas Harper working out (that's over on Pistols Firing) ?

If I took a photo of Rattler in front of Chick-fil-A and posted "Rattler says eat more chicken", would that be a NCAA violation on Rattler ?

NCAA is behind the times with Social Media. No way for athletes to control their image/likeness.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Meanwhile......LSU football players are handed out cash after their win Monday night.

NCAA is looking at Northwestern Louisiana University for answers.....how did they let that happen?
I would bet money that all of those players were either done with their eligibility or sure they are going pro. Even the dumbest players wouldn't be dumb enough to accept money live on one of the biggest stages in college football.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
How is the Dealership in Edmonton posting that Chuba took a test drive any different than a post from Riley Elite, a private trainer that posted a video of Thomas Harper working out (that's over on Pistols Firing) ?

If I took a photo of Rattler in front of Chick-fil-A and posted "Rattler says eat more chicken", would that be a NCAA violation on Rattler ?

NCAA is behind the times with Social Media. No way for athletes to control their image/likeness.
This whole NIL thing is gonna be a disaster to try to monitor. Countless, countless examples of where this could go.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
In radio here myself and I would never trash OSU like Sam has done and is continuing to do. I have no idea why he thought that would be a good idea. There are other ways to further your career then trashing your alma mater, legal ways. Sad that he chose to go that route.
Where can we listen?

Always love some hot takes!

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
OU employs the OKC media. They mock and ridicule OSU at every opportunity. Every day I have the radio on, Sam Mayes or one of his buddies are making a joke about OSU. They do NOT want to see OSU improve and beat OU for another big 12 championship.

Someone complained that this (propaganda) negatively affects OSU"s recruiting in state. Sam Mayes hears about this and mocks and ridicules OSU fans..as if he is completely unaware that his daily jokes and rants against OSU football are being broadcast into the cars of potential recruits all over Oklahoma.
---I admit, its possible Mayes is unaware his broadcasts have an affect on recruiting--he's more of a 'Red-Faced Rant' guy than an objective, thinking analyst. (It appears Sam Mayes is trying to be Jim Traber.)

And lest we forget, when Gundy was up and coming and Trammel wrote articles every other day telling his readers that Gundy should be fired. Yet, despite all of this negative local media, OSU improved and won a big 12 championship.

Guess what happened next.. Oh look, out of nowhere, a'freelance "journalist" walks into town and does a cloak and dagger story on OSU's recruiting! OU benefits immediately from this random journalist's decision to randomly investigate OSU football. Make of that what you will.

I think it's a shame that Oklahomans actively work against the success of other Oklahomans. You'd think this part of the country, with its smaller population and blue collar ancestry, would be above that kind of conniving and backstabbing. But I'd wager a tornado shelter, that if OSU starts to ascend again, you'll see more articles like this from the OKC media/OU propaganda machine. And should OSU start to build their program too strong, you might even see another journalist-for-hire slinking around town, working on more "disturbing allegations".
I know the general consensus around here is to applaud Gundy for not "kissing their ass", but I think Gundy should do a little high road and try to make nice with the local media. They aren't in the mood to treat us any better when Gundy treats them like gum on the bottom of his shoe. We all have parts of our job that are not our favorites, but Gundy is compensated well enough to try to improve in that part of his job. Because improving the perception of our program in the media is part of his job.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
The Chuba/car photo was posted on Monday. This first stirred 0U media tweets that Chuba was turning Pro because he was out car shopping.
After Chuba announced he was returning, the 0U media changed the narrative and started to claim an NCAA violation for the post.

Guess 0U has determined that the only way to stop Chuba is to keep him off the field !!!!

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
The Chuba/car photo was posted on Monday. This first stirred 0U media tweets that Chuba was turning Pro because he was out car shopping.
After Chuba announced he was returning, the 0U media changed the narrative and started to claim an NCAA violation for the post.

Guess 0U has determined that the only way to stop Chuba is to keep him off the field !!!!
OU had no problems stopping Chuba last time they met on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2010
I know the general consensus around here is to applaud Gundy for not "kissing their ass", but I think Gundy should do a little high road and try to make nice with the local media. They aren't in the mood to treat us any better when Gundy treats them like gum on the bottom of his shoe. We all have parts of our job that are not our favorites, but Gundy is compensated well enough to try to improve in that part of his job. Because improving the perception of our program in the media is part of his job.
I agree with this...except these guys are quite literally paid to promote OU and tearing down OSU is part of that. So I'm not sure its possible to 'win them over' with charm. Unless we pay them more than OU pays.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I think 2 things are responsible here:

Gundy getting longer in the tooth, or mullet as it were, & having his DGAF factor grow annually

Traditional media having increasingly less & less reach & influence, which also helps increase Gundy's DGAF when it comes to those guys

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I agree with this...except these guys are quite literally paid to promote OU and tearing down OSU is part of that. So I'm not sure its possible to 'win them over' with charm. Unless we pay them more than OU pays.
He may not win them over, but just to do an interview would be a start. Being denied even a phone interview would not make most of us want to speak more highly of the person snubbing. Also just holding our own in the series a little better might command a little more respect.

I don't think OU is cutting the Sports Animal checks, but they are aware what most of their listeners want to hear.

Nov 18, 2010
Why would my post about the hypocritical way the OKC media handled Mixon's domestic violence be deleted by a mod...here on an OSU message board? Especially on a thread about the OKC medias publishing of an OSU running back's photo next to a car...

Are we not allowed to talk about how our state's "journalists" didn't investigate the domestic abuse coverup at OU?

I'd love to know why this is a taboo subject, so I don't waste more time creating content for this board.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I think 2 things are responsible here:

Gundy getting longer in the tooth, or mullet as it were, & having his DGAF factor grow annually

Traditional media having increasingly less & less reach & influence, which also helps increase Gundy's DGAF when it comes to those guys
That's why he likes to speak directly to the people through Twitter and...

Wait I got him mixed up with someone else.