OSU tried to find a replacement game for Baylor

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
A month into the college football season, two Oklahoma State football games have already been postponed due to COVID-19 related issues involving its opponent. The Cowboys' matchup against Baylor, originally scheduled for Saturday, was moved back to Dec. 12 after the Bears temporarily suspended football operations because of a significant outbreak within its program.

Already coming off a bye week, Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy and the Cowboys find themselves with even more time off in a season full of uncertainty. During his weekly 'OSU Roundup' show with Dave Hunziker, Gundy said Oklahoma State University athletic director Mike Holder tried to find a replacement opponent for the Cowboys, but was unsuccessful in his efforts.

"We actually tried to pick up an opponent for this week, unsuccessfully," Gundy said. "Coach Holder was working hard to try to get us a game, but it didn’t work out."

Gundy did not reveal any specifics into which opponents Holder pursued as a potential substitution for a game Saturday, but it is worth noting all put two teams in the Big 12 Conference — Kansas and West Virginia — have scheduled bye weeks. Regardless, Oklahoma State does not play until Saturday, Oct. 24, against Iowa State.

This is familiar territory for the Cowboys after their season opener against Tulsa was moved back a week because of interruptions related to COVID-19 within the Golden Hurricane program. Gundy said he isn't too concerned about the effects the extended time off might have on the Cowboys..

"We all have to deal with it," Gundy said. "It comes back to — one of the areas that we talk about a lot in our culture and our organization is you’ve got to stay focused. If we let these things derail us in our thought process and our preparation worried about something that we can’t control, then it could affect you two weeks from now. Hopefully we have enough maturity in this organization and the players understand that it’s just the way it is. We’ve got to flip it and now we’ve got to get ready to play Iowa State."

Oklahoma State will have 21 days between its most recent game against Kansas on Oct. 3 and its next matchup against Iowa State on Oct. 24. According to OSU Stats and Information, the Cowboys haven't had consecutive open weeks between regular season games since 1918, when Oklahoma A&M took a three-week break following its season opener due to an influenza outbreak.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...ylor-postponed-Mike-Gundy-COVID-19-152948452/

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So the logical choices would have been ISU or Texas since they were our next opponents and we'd be asking them to forgo this weeks bye and take a bye on the 24th or 31st.
Teams we play past Texas probably didn't want to delay their bye into Nov.

So bet Holder struck out with ISU - why play us after we have a week off and they don't; and with Texas - still licking its wounds from the 0U loss.

too bad

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
So the logical choices would have been ISU or Texas since they were our next opponents and we'd be asking them to forgo this weeks bye and take a bye on the 24th or 31st.

So bet Holder struck out with ISU - why play us after we have a week off and they don't; and with Texas - still licking its wounds from the 0U loss.

too bad
I’m just curious if he gave Missouri a call since they knew relatively early that Vandy would cancel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
The thing is that Holder shouldn't be making calls, Bowsley (sp) should be. the Commish should demand the schools do what is best for the Conference and that is to re-arrange schedules to play games. As many as the Conference can.
Us vs ISU or uT would have guaranteed one more Conference game. It would have allowed some flexiblity for one of them to reschedule a game if needed (even maybe low probability that they could get an opponent on their bye weekend).

Bottom line, Big12 weak again.

Nov 6, 2010
I'm thinking since Holder was the one shopping, he was looking for a non-conference opponent. Is there anything that says a conference school can't play an extra game this year??

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Maybe the Conference thinks there will be multiple canceled games and Dec 12 was always thought to be "the make up weekend". They assumed their would many games that weekend and that's a better plan than to constantly re-schedule during the season.

Us and BU are just the first stone to fall. As long as neither of us have another cancellation, that plan works out.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth

too bad
I did a quick look as soon as I heard Baylor was postponing, and Texas Tech was a very easy switch to. Theirs, ours, and Baylors original second bye week all kind of circulated into an easy fix....Oh well

I doubt Holder was looking for a nonconference game..not much upside to that it doesnt seem to me..but maybe

Aug 19, 2006
Not sure I see any advantage to adding a non-conference opponent now. Why run the risk of getting players injured in a meaningless game at this point?

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
The way it is worded makes me think they were looking for a nonconference opponent. My guess is Gundy just wanted to play a game and playing one that didn't count towards conference standings was probably what they were looking for.

May have been wanting game repetitions for Sanders and the Offensive line to get ready for conference play.

(IMHO)

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Maybe the Conference thinks there will be multiple canceled games and Dec 12 was always thought to be "the make up weekend". They assumed their would many games that weekend and that's a better plan than to constantly re-schedule during the season.

Us and BU are just the first stone to fall. As long as neither of us have another cancellation, that plan works out.
And I'm OK with that as long as our CCG opponent doesn't end up with an extra bye week to prepare while we play Baylor and only have one week to prepare for the CCG.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I did a quick look as soon as I heard Baylor was postponing, and Texas Tech was a very easy switch to. Theirs, ours, and Baylors original second bye week all kind of circulated into an easy fix....Oh well

I doubt Holder was looking for a nonconference game..not much upside to that it doesnt seem to me..but maybe
And why would Tech give up their bye weekend in week 6 to only have a bye weekend at the end of the season ?

Nov 6, 2010
And why would Tech give up their bye weekend in week 6 to only have a bye weekend at the end of the season ?
This is why I'm thinking it was a non-conference opponent he was looking for. And I"m talking a cupcake here, that would have come to Stillwater for a payday. There would just be no incentive for a conference opponent to change their schedule to play us, or for us either. The only motivation I can see here is to squeeze in another home game.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I'm thinking since Holder was the one shopping, he was looking for a non-conference opponent. Is there anything that says a conference school can't play an extra game this year??
This.

No way Holder is trying to re-schedule a conference game. That’s the job of the league office.

And I’m sure it wasn’t another P5 team because it would involve getting into another conferences business while creating an unbalanced schedule in those leagues.

I’d guess it was a D2 opponent like North Dakota St or Houston Baptist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk