OSU vs Hoyas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
We continue to play lethargic at GIA. We had one dose of good energy right before the 12min mark of the second half. The group that was in at that moment was our youth team. We are very poor on offense when we do not play with energy because we struggle to score in the half court.

Last night our scouting or player discipline was terrible. To let McClung get that many clean looks at the 3pt line. We get ourselves a 5pt lead, and then we let him have 3 open looks in a row for a 9-0 run. It really shouldn't be that difficult for a college team to always know where one guy is.They weren't even running offense to him when he was getting open. He had 15pts at half. So if you undervalued him in the scout, then the adjustment should have been made at half time instead of allowing him to cook us.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
We continue to play lethargic at GIA. We had one dose of good energy right before the 12min mark of the second half. The group that was in at that moment was our youth team. We are very poor on offense when we do not play with energy because we struggle to score in the half court.

Last night our scouting or player discipline was terrible. To let McClung get that many clean looks at the 3pt line. We get ourselves a 5pt lead, and then we let him have 3 open looks in a row for a 9-0 run. It really shouldn't be that difficult for a college team to always know where one guy is.They weren't even running offense to him when he was getting open. He had 15pts at half. So if you undervalued him in the scout, then the adjustment should have been made at half time instead of allowing him to cook us.
big difference in the team when Yor is in foul trouble and Ice doesn't play - energy, D, offensive success, etc....... it all suffers

Sep 23, 2010
big difference in the team when Yor is in foul trouble and Ice doesn't play - energy, D, offensive success, etc....... it all suffers
Those are definitely big factors, but those guys played at home when we squeaked by ORU, Yale and Western Michigan. Our energy level and offense has been poor at home. There is no disputing that.

And even with those guys out, we can give more attention to McClung to eliminate all his open looks. We let this one get away from us. We had enough to win. Just played with a lack of energy and let one guy kill us.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Did you see how well they moved the ball around the perimeter? Always making the extra pass. Our offense was basically standing around and watching Waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Here's Frank Bonner II's recap...

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State seniors Lindy Waters and Cam McGriff combined for 49 points against Georgetown on Wednesday, but that wasn’t enough to reach the Cowboys’ best start since going 8-0 to start the 2014 season.

Both teams had missing pieces. Georgetown (5-3) lost over 20 points per game after the recent subtractions to the roster that included James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc, but Mac McClung stepped up for the Hoyas by scoring 33 points to lead Georgetown to an 81-74 win over the Cowboys (7-1).

He was averaging 11.9 points per game heading into Wednesday.

Sep 23, 2010
Did you see how well they moved the ball around the perimeter? Always making the extra pass. Our offense was basically standing around and watching Waters.

Yes, our half court offense needs to improve. I would like Boynton to bring back some of the spread/pinwheel just to create a little more movement. Our 4out1in hasn't been very good. We have had some successful sets but without Ice, those sets are not as good with Lindy on the ball.

If Ice is out for an extended period of time, this will be time for our young guys to develop (Anderson and Harris). And maybe it helps us find an identity on offense.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yes, our half court offense needs to improve. I would like Boynton to bring back some of the spread/pinwheel just to create a little more movement. Our 4out1in hasn't been very good. We have had some successful sets but without Ice, those sets are not as good with Lindy on the ball.

If Ice is out for an extended period of time, this will be time for our young guys to develop (Anderson and Harris). And maybe it helps us find an identity on offense.
I heard he was just really really sick with the flu or something like it. If that's the case I'd expect him back fully soonish.

Dec 15, 2004
Edmond
Man we miss Ice. Not a good start!
It's pretty obvious the impact he has at both ends of the floor
Badly needed his defense but more than that needed him to get to the rack and open up the offense
Offense was stagnant and too much iso in the halfcourt ( looked like the Thunder the past couple of years)

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I heard he was just really really sick with the flu or something like it. If that's the case I'd expect him back fully soonish.
Something is really going around right now. My wife has been sick for the last week, my parents were sick last week, and a coworker and his wife are getting over what is going around. Luckily I haven't gotten whatever my wife has, but I figure I will any day now. I wouldn't put much stock in the Likekele has mono rumors.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Our defense was exploited last night, we have trouble defending the drive and dish for 3. Its been that way all season we just ran into a team that was on fire from outside, the teams we've played up until this point haven't shot the ball as well, but they have been open. We don't have enough speed to shut down the drive or when we sink to help have enough closing speed to get out to the three point line. We needed to make an adjust defensively (this happened a lot last year as well) where a player on the other team would have career nights. We have to be able to be flexible and disciplined enough to assign a defensive player to stick with their main guy no matter what...no sink, no help just D up one guy.

I"ve seen a lot of people jumping on Anderson, but I'll just say I watched Ice play the exact same way as he did last night about twenty times last year. Anderson is going to be a great player.

Nov 14, 2010
Listening to Boynton postgame, when Yor got in foul trouble, and without Ice, he knew he was going to have to lean on the Veterans more than he would like

So, we played some zone and did some things to conserve energy on defense so as to have enough energy on the offensive end to keep up and then come back once we got behind.

Then, once we got behind, we then pressed a little which, a lot of times, comes out as a lack of movement, energy etc...

The rebounding in the 2nd half, and the fact that more than 1/2 our shots were 3's was the most dissapointing part of the game last night to me.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Listening to Boynton postgame, when Yor got in foul trouble, and without Ice, he knew he was going to have to lean on the Veterans more than he would like

So, we played some zone and did some things to conserve energy on defense so as to have enough energy on the offensive end to keep up and then come back once we got behind.

Then, once we got behind, we then pressed a little which, a lot of times, comes out as a lack of movement, energy etc...

The rebounding in the 2nd half, and the fact that more than 1/2 our shots were 3's was the most dissapointing part of the game last night to me.
I don’t have as much of a problem with number of 3s. I have a problem with the quality. Analytics has taught us that 3 point shots and attacking the rim is the most efficient offensive strategy.

We didn’t make the extra passes to get wide open 3s like GT did. In addition we missed a lot of shots in the paint especially in the second half

I’m just hoping that getting Ice back will improve our ball movement and get better shots in the future

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
To me, it felt like our game plan still assumed Ice was running point. It didn’t really play to Waters or Anderson. I especially felt like Waters was forcing it. Maybe a symptom of a last minute adjustment?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Every time I see that I read "cop-out."
You better hope Boynton is serious about the cowboy culture. Because if he's not and he's steeped in problems like Lamont is, they're going to get uncovered and then guess what you won't have any basketball to watch because you know we'll get some kind of hammer down on us and we will suck for decades to come.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk