OSU Wrestling @ NCAA Championships - Pittsburgh, PA

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I hate putting labels on kids who go out there and put it on the line for this university. It's been known that Gfeller has been wrestling hurt. Call it whatever you want but, him going out there and gutting out a couple of performances while hurt at Nationals for this university is the definition of heart in my opinion.
Good points. I'm sure this is not what Kaden wanted, hopefully this will drive him in the offseason He showed a lot of potential so it is tough to watch him lose to kids that he is better than.

Jun 23, 2005
I hate putting labels on kids who go out there and put it on the line for this university. It's been known that Gfeller has been wrestling hurt. Call it whatever you want but, him going out there and gutting out a couple of performances while hurt at Nationals for this university is the definition of heart in my opinion.
Yep, I’ve heard he is wrestling with a separated rib. Can’t imagine the pain.

Dec 21, 2008
If it’s a rib that makes a lot of sense! Not one shot match one. Looked stagnant at Big 12s. Really sad for the young man and he could’ve been a 4xAA. The last decade it feels like our kids can never get healthy, never reach max potential and always wrestle below seed. Team finishing 2/4/5/8/4 etc the last decade is killing us! Luckily we have Fix to help recruit towards but man the big 10 & northeast are killing us recruiting now. Wish we can fast forward two years with a new arena and hopefully new attitude. Would DC ever be interested in coaching? We need a national level spark ASAP!

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Good points. I'm sure this is not what Kaden wanted, hopefully this will drive him in the offseason He showed a lot of potential so it is tough to watch him lose to kids that he is better than.
Agreed it’s definitely disappointing to see how he finished the year. I know I had hopes of him finishing the year strong. I really wish he would have missed the last 2-3 duals to rest & recover. However, if it was a separated rib, then that might not have mattered how much time he took off.

Mar 8, 2010
Hey we've still got 8 of 9 alive. Could still get 2.
Don't want to take anything away from our guys who are busting their tails out there this weekend, and coming in second would be a great accomplishment for this team, but it's very sad when we have the new attitude that we "could still get 2". We were once to wrestling what Alabama is to football. Finishing number 2 was considered a disappointing season back in the glory years. Heck, just knowing you were about to face a Cowboy wrestler was a huge psychological advantage for us. Hope those days return soon.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From our recap of day 1...

PITTSBURGH — Oklahoma State saw a pair of No. 7 seeds fall — including one who was eliminated from the tournament — and Penn State showed no signs of relinquishing its hold on the NCAA Wrestling Championships title Thursday in PPG Paints Arena.

The second-ranked Cowboys’ highly-seeded foursome advanced to the Friday quarterfinals with little problem. No. 1 seeds Daton Fix (133 pounds) and Derek White (285), No. 2 Nick Piccininni (125) and No. 3 Preston Weigel (197) picked up 6.5 bonus points in winning two matches apiece.

Penn State ended the day with 32.5 points, 7.5 ahead of Ohio State late into the consolation round. The Nittany Lions’ 17.5 bonus points alone would have put them in sixth place. Iowa was third with 24 points. OSU and Minnesota were tied for fourth with 20.

The Cowboys’ suffered a significant loss when 149-pounder Kaden Gfeller (28-6) lost two straight to get eliminated. Another No. 7 seed, Jacobe Smith (174), was upset in the second round but remained alive for the consolations.

Joe Smith (19-7), relegated to the 33rd spot at 165 because he had more matches at 174 pounds than 165 during the season, gave unbeaten No. 1 seed Alex Marinelli (26-0) a scare with two takedowns for a 4-2 lead. But Marinelli rode the entire second and added an escape, takedown and riding time in the third for a 7-4 triumph.
Additional notes...

Weigel stays unbeaten

Oklahoma State's Preston Weigel continued his abbreviated but unbeaten season with two victories but saw his shutout string snapped Thursday in the NCAA Wrestling Championships in Pittsburgh. He had outscored five opponents by a cumulative 57-0 score before yielding a takedown in the second round to Nebraska’s Eric Schultz. Weigel quickly rallied to win, 7-2.

Light heavyweights

Heavyweight officially has been 285 pounds for several years. Previously, it was unlimited. OSU’s Derek White -- a 119-pounder at Edmond North as a freshman -- now weighs 240. The largest heavyweight in this year’s bracket is Northwestern’s Conan Jennings at 284 pounds.

In 1984, a reporter dubbed the heavyweight championship match “the Jumbo Jetliner Final,” as the finalists’ combined weight was 747. North Carolina State’s 401-pound Tab Thacker edged Nebraska’s Gary Allbright (346 pounds) 3-1.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Don't want to take anything away from our guys who are busting their tails out there this weekend, and coming in second would be a great accomplishment for this team, but it's very sad when we have the new attitude that we "could still get 2". We were once to wrestling what Alabama is to football. Finishing number 2 was considered a disappointing season back in the glory years. Heck, just knowing you were about to face a Cowboy wrestler was a huge psychological advantage for us. Hope those days return soon.
Finishing second nationally is exceptional I'm not sure the glory years you are speaking of where 2nd is disappointing because I wasn't around then. Facing a cowboy wrestler is still a psychological advantage. We have 4 outstanding wrestlers that can all make the finals. All this talk about how bad we are really needs to stop.

Jun 14, 2011
I do appreciate all the updates so I can keep up while the TV is on b-ball. Really need cable back, DVR is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is the best. So is split screen! Not sure why I can't get a four screen split as I'm certain the technology exists. Get your $hit together, DirectTV!

IMG_0932.jpg

Last edited:

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
It is the best. So is split screen! Not sure why I can't get a four screen split as I'm certainly the technology exists. Get your $hit together, DirectTV!

View attachment 68930
Add watch ESPN on your phone and then you get even more and can get every mat. At one point yesterday I had split screen TV, dual monitors on my computer and another on my phone running.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
So how does this work, I don't remember. If you already redshirted you can get a second redshirt in an olympic year and still compete for 4 years?
If they qualify for an olympic redshirt then yes it is in addition to a regular redshirt year. Here are the criteria:
  1. Past national team members (top three from the World or Olympic Team Trials)
  2. Top eight at the 2019 Senior U.S. Open
  3. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).
  4. Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist