OU Situation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Does anyone know what is happening behind the scenes in Norman? It's all starting to sound like a soap opera...

Link: Gallogy to Boren "...I will destroy you"

NORMAN, Okla. – OU President James Gallogly has not been quiet about his disagreements with former OU President David Boren’s administrative decisions, but sources say it’s even more intense behind the scenes.
Gallogly offered criticism of the university’s financial situation in June, and Boren responded with a letter to The Norman Transcript.
This was just the start to the tension between the two presidents, sources told the Transcript.
Following the publication of that letter on June 20, Gallogly told a senior OU administrator to deliver a message to Boren: “You tell him that I am the meanest son of a bi**h he has ever seen, and if he ever crosses me again, I will destroy him.”
The statement was confirmed by multiple sources who spoke to the Transcript on a condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation from Gallogly.
“Absolutely inaccurate,” Gallogly replied when asked about the story. “That simple, no more complicated than that.”
“Why does this come up now? Apparently that was just before I took office, why does that come up now?” Gallogly told a Transcript reporter. “Did you ever ask yourself that? I wonder why they made that up now?”
Boren, who served as OU president for more than 23 years before retiring this year, responded to the Transcript through his attorney, Bob Burke:
“I never want to get involved in attacking anyone personally, because I have always tried to get along with everyone in my 54 years of public service…”
To read the full statement in The Norman Transcript, click here.
According to multiple sources who spoke with the Transcript, Gallogly’s attitude toward Boren has become increasingly hostile since June.
The Transcript sent a request for comment to OU Board of Regents Chairman Clayton Bennett, but a statement was not returned prior to the publication of this story.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Gallogly has been forced to make drastic changes at OU to right the ship and clean up Boren's mess. OU is a billion in debt and Gallogly is using business tactics to reduce debt including layoffs, halting new construction, etc. which isn't sitting well with the staff and professors. It was a free-for-all under Boren and Gallogly calling him out on it isn't going over well.

Aug 11, 2004
Newkirk, Ok
David Boren should have been put out to pasture a lot Sooner, pun intended. Besides the university's financial problems, his input on the Joe Mixon handling, the SAE's, and the Big 12 conference were all examples of poor leadership on his part in my opinion.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Gallogly needs to step up, bite the bullet and right size the scope of all programs. If the school can't afford basic academic stuff he must cut the athletic budgets and salaries to complete the main mission of the university.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Gallogly has been forced to make drastic changes at OU to right the ship and clean up Boren's mess. OU is a billion in debt and Gallogly is using business tactics to reduce debt including layoffs, halting new construction, etc. which isn't sitting well with the staff and professors. It was a free-for-all under Boren and Gallogly calling him out on it isn't going over well.
It completely astounds me that this has not been widely reported until now. This has been going on for years!
Where was the OU Board of Regents? Where was the Oklahoma Board of Higher Education? Where were the Daily Oklahoman and other newspapers?

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
It completely astounds me that this has not been widely reported until now. This has been going on for years!
Where was the OU Board of Regents? Where was the Oklahoma Board of Higher Education? Where were the Daily Oklahoman and other newspapers?
I'm sure they knew. Funny enough, all I'm seeing is negatives from the newspapers and liberals directed towards Gallogly.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Does anyone know what is happening behind the scenes in Norman? It's all starting to sound like a soap opera...

Link: Gallogy to Boren "...I will destroy you"

NORMAN, Okla. – OU President James Gallogly has not been quiet about his disagreements with former OU President David Boren’s administrative decisions, but sources say it’s even more intense behind the scenes.
Gallogly offered criticism of the university’s financial situation in June, and Boren responded with a letter to The Norman Transcript.
This was just the start to the tension between the two presidents, sources told the Transcript.
Following the publication of that letter on June 20, Gallogly told a senior OU administrator to deliver a message to Boren: “You tell him that I am the meanest son of a bi**h he has ever seen, and if he ever crosses me again, I will destroy him.”
The statement was confirmed by multiple sources who spoke to the Transcript on a condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation from Gallogly.
“Absolutely inaccurate,” Gallogly replied when asked about the story. “That simple, no more complicated than that.”
“Why does this come up now? Apparently that was just before I took office, why does that come up now?” Gallogly told a Transcript reporter. “Did you ever ask yourself that? I wonder why they made that up now?”
Boren, who served as OU president for more than 23 years before retiring this year, responded to the Transcript through his attorney, Bob Burke:
“I never want to get involved in attacking anyone personally, because I have always tried to get along with everyone in my 54 years of public service…”
To read the full statement in The Norman Transcript, click here.
According to multiple sources who spoke with the Transcript, Gallogly’s attitude toward Boren has become increasingly hostile since June.
The Transcript sent a request for comment to OU Board of Regents Chairman Clayton Bennett, but a statement was not returned prior to the publication of this story.
I saw this on the news this morning and immediately thought it was leaked out by someone that thought they were soon to be canned or had already been canned. If he actually did say it, then it's a stupid idea to leak if you're worried about retaliation since he likely remembers who the heck he flipped out at. If he DIDN'T say it, then you'd better hope you STAY anonymous if you're worried about your job...

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That's not entirely true. Most of the salaries may be paid by the athletic department, but the stadiums and other capital items aren't paid by the athletic department.
I'm sure it's structured different at different schools.

At OSU, however, the salaries, cost of scholarships, housing & food are most definitely from the Athletic Department, which is an adjunct department to the university.

Renovations to BPS, the construction of soccer, baseball, track, tennis & the IPF were/are paid for through donations to the Athletic Department.

Maybe things have changed, I haven't worked at OSU in over a decade, but that's the way it was for years.