Our position in the National Polls this year!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

As the season progresses.......

• We will not crack the Top 25 at any point this season

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 8, 2013
No, we will be ranked at 3-0...even if it's only for Texas to have a top 20 (or at least a top 25) match up. You can take it to the bank that we WILL be ranked at 3-0...even if it's just based on who we play to get to 4-0.
OK, you made me go look at the rankings and schedules to see if I still agreed with my opinion or not. :) I looked at the first 3 games for the 42 teams ranked ahead of us in the AP and graded each games as a W (easy 95+% chance of winning), a R (risk of losing - such as a decent opponent on the road), or an L (matchup against an obviously stronger team). Then I looked at the list and picked the teams that we have no chance of passing - even if they lost the close ones. I identified 20 teams that fall into this category (for example - I don't think OU would drop below us even if they lost to Houston and UCLA or Notre Dame even if they lost to Louisville and Georgia). I also included TCU in the teams we can't pass, since they will almost certainly be 3-0. Then I identified 5 teams that we are "Unlikely to pass" in their worst-case scenarios - Michigan, Florida, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Mississippi State. I think there are 17 teams that we CAN PASS, including #22 Syracuse and #25 Stanford. So I still don't see us ranked (by the AP, that is) until we beat Texas. If the Texas game goes to ESPN, then maybe ESPN puts us in their Top 25. But not the AP. I hope I'm wrong and we do get there early in the season after going 3-0.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
OK, you made me go look at the rankings and schedules to see if I still agreed with my opinion or not. :) I looked at the first 3 games for the 42 teams ranked ahead of us in the AP and graded each games as a W (easy 95+% chance of winning), a R (risk of losing - such as a decent opponent on the road), or an L (matchup against an obviously stronger team). Then I looked at the list and picked the teams that we have no chance of passing - even if they lost the close ones. I identified 20 teams that fall into this category (for example - I don't think OU would drop below us even if they lost to Houston and UCLA or Notre Dame even if they lost to Louisville and Georgia). I also included TCU in the teams we can't pass, since they will almost certainly be 3-0. Then I identified 5 teams that we are "Unlikely to pass" in their worst-case scenarios - Michigan, Florida, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Mississippi State. I think there are 17 teams that we CAN PASS, including #22 Syracuse and #25 Stanford. So I still don't see us ranked (by the AP, that is) until we beat Texas. If the Texas game goes to ESPN, then maybe ESPN puts us in their Top 25. But not the AP. I hope I'm wrong and we do get there early in the season after going 3-0.
All I got out of this is that you have way too much free time on your hands.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
None of that research matters at all...It's Texas (they own ESPN)... So book it, especially if somehow they are also undefeated...we WILL be ranked if we win the first three games FOR SURE. It is what it is...and remember, I told you so. ;-)

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
You did almost exactly what I did and came to the same conclusion (I didn't show my work - nice!). I agree. If the teams above us win their games too, I don't see how we leap frog them. We are starting with a much lower ranking than we have had in past years, so I think it's going to take a lot to move up. Hope I'm wrong!!!

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You did almost exactly what I did and came to the same conclusion (I didn't show my work - nice!). I agree. If the teams above us win their games too, I don't see how we leap frog them. We are starting with a much lower ranking than we have had in past years, so I think it's going to take a lot to move up. Hope I'm wrong!!!
Which of those teams are playing Texas the following week??...hook em :vomit:. This is not a hard concept.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/2/year/2019/seasontype/2
We're moving up. If you extend the polls out, this is how we're ranked.

AP Poll
Preseason: 43rd
Week 2: 33rd

Coaches Poll
Preseason: 41st
Week 2: 31st

The Texas game will probably be a top 25 match-up, and we could get catapulted into the top 15 with a win in Austin. Hopefully they'll play well against LSU this weekend.
We wont gain much this weekend. Possibly 3-4 spots at best. A large win over TU might get us in the top 25. If Sanders and Hubbard continue to throw down highlights we will probably crack the top 25......I agree with the overall sentiment that folks will want a top 25 UT matchup (just the way things go).

It is pretty sad how badly voters struggle put the early top 10 through 25 together. Pretty much a ridiculous equation of School Name, last years results, and known QB. The latter two didn't play in our favor this year and our name only carries so much weight. OSU is going to have to prove it this year. Luckily (for the sake of rankings) there are only about ten teams that are multiple steps above average.

Jul 9, 2011
We leapfrogged a few teams that lost outright (Missouri) or had narrow wins versus uncompetitive teams (Army 14 - Rice 7), and we played our best non-conference opponent on the road. We are playing an uncompetitive team at home this week; not much help if we win, devastating if we lose.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We leapfrogged a few teams that lost outright (Missouri) or had narrow wins versus uncompetitive teams (Army 14 - Rice 7), and we played our best non-conference opponent on the road. We are playing an uncompetitive team at home this week; not much help if we win, devastating if we lose.
A game like this one coming up is all about style points...we need to score over 50 again (at least) and hold them nearly scoreless. Defensive improvement will be the name of the game in practice this week so I bet it does...improve...especially with the dip in competition and the home field advantage. I stand by the thinking that we will be ranked come Texas...mostly because of..."were back!" Plus I firmly believe we will deserve to be ranked...what with the best RB and WR in the country on the same team.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
A game like this one coming up is all about style points...we need to score over 50 again (at least) and hold them nearly scoreless. Defensive improvement will be the name of the game in practice this week so I bet it does...improve...especially with the dip in competition and the home field advantage. I stand by the thinking that we will be ranked come Texas...mostly because of..."were back!" Plus I firmly believe we will deserve to be ranked...what with the best RB and WR in the country on the same team.
And Best 1st year QB

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
No, we will be ranked at 3-0...even if it's only for Texas to have a top 20 (or at least a top 25) match up. You can take it to the bank that we WILL be ranked at 3-0...even if it's just based on who we play to get to 4-0.
Welp, we're 3-0 and still unranked. Glad I didn't go to the bank. We just started off too low to make it up. And those on here calling Top 15 with a win at Texas..... that won't happen either.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Welp, we're 3-0 and still unranked. Glad I didn't go to the bank. We just started off too low to make it up. And those on here calling Top 15 with a win at Texas..... that won't happen either.
Yep, I was wrong...I guess last year is too much to overcome in the voters minds...I do think teams like USC and Maryland are over ranked as are a few others...but time will tell and we have to go to Austin and win to gain ANY respect. Otherwise we are going to be totally overlooked this year. Crossing fingers for a big win Saturday in Austin.

Still we are 26th in Coaches and I believe 27th in AP right behind TCU and KSU so we have a lot of ground we can make up with a win in Austin...no reason why we can't win there with our excellent skill players and fine Oline…Defense will need to continue to improve and not have anymore 2nd quarters vs Tulsa.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
Yep, I was wrong...I guess last year is too much to overcome in the voters minds...I do think teams like USC and Maryland are over ranked as are a few others...but time will tell and we have to go to Austin and win to gain ANY respect. Otherwise we are going to be totally overlooked this year. Crossing fingers for a big win Saturday in Austin.
I do like the fact that K-State jumps from receiving ZERO votes in any poll to #25 in Coaches and #26 in AP. They're off next week so will be undefeated when we play them in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, If their bye week is anything like ours they'll drop about 5 spots and out of the Top 25 before our matchup.

Would have been great if the Cyclones could have finished off Iowa.

TCU drops in at #25 in the AP.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I do like the fact that K-State jumps from receiving ZERO votes in any poll to #25 in Coaches and #26 in AP. They're off next week so will be undefeated when we play them in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, If their bye week is anything like ours they'll drop about 5 spots and out of the Top 25 before our matchup.

Would have been great if the Cyclones could have finished off Iowa.

TCU drops in at #25 in the AP.
I hate that they have an extra week to prepare for us while we have to travel and win in Austin...Hope the student athletes are up for this task. The conference seems to be really deep and good. Go Pokes!

Nov 8, 2013

Still we are 26th in Coaches and I believe 27th in AP right behind TCU and KSU so we have a lot of ground we can make up with a win in Austin...no reason why we can't win there with our excellent skill players and fine Oline…Defense will need to continue to improve and not have anymore 2nd quarters vs Tulsa.
We're 26th/27th, so I was just barely right. About as close as we could be for us both to be right.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This didn't age well...
Nope it didn't...I missed it by one placement in coaches and 2 in the ap...I didn't count on KSU winning at Miss State NOR TCU thumping Purdue on the road, both are very surprising and I'm hopeful but concerned about the depth of the conference as a result...IMHO it's far deeper than I expected. The SEC gets all the love, but I really think the Big 12 is going to be the conference of 2019.

All this said, I'm excited we have the best WR and RB in the country...and think we are underrated…hope they prove me right in Austin.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
I hate that they have an extra week to prepare for us while we have to travel and win in Austin...Hope the student athletes are up for this task. The conference seems to be really deep and good. Go Pokes!
Granted there are some new coaches, but quite frankly, I do not recall a regular season game in recent memory where accolades were given for maximizing the two-week period. In fact, I recall just the opposite, more like, "WTF did they do for two weeks??". It does help the guys heal, but I think most of our key injured players may be looking at long-term recovery.

Jul 9, 2011
I don’t know if we want their QB out of the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't disagree we should be ranked, but didn't think we would be. Just too many teams to leapfrog early, too many had to lose.

I think a close loss morale victory wont get us ranked vs UT. We win and we are ranked, but 20 or lower unless we blow them out.