1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Petrino fallout?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by ScooberJake, Apr 11, 2012.

1. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Deputy

Any guess on who we might have a better shot at now that Petrino is gone from Arky?
  2. PlatypusJojo

A/V Subscriber PlatypusJojo Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

Not sure.
  3. Samuel Hanson

Samuel Hanson Wrangler

I don't think it will have a huge impact on our recruiting. It didn' t seem like any recruits were down to us and Arkansas. But im just taking a guess.
  4. WorldseriesofPoke

WorldseriesofPoke Cowboy

Last year Keon Hatcher chose Ark over OSU and Ark was in Seth Jacobs' final 3. Ark is making a stronger push into Texas and we are after many of the same players this year. It might be very hard to beat Texas, OU, and A&M for players in Texas, but I want to beat Ark in recruiting.
  5. poke44osu

poke44osu Wrangler

Can players with signed LOI's be released if they have not started school there yet?........Just thinking of Hatcher IF one of our's do not qualify......
  6. poke44osu

poke44osu Wrangler

Because of the loss of the head coach....
  7. OstatePokes

A/V Subscriber OstatePokes Cowboy

Good question. Today on ESPN I heard that the players will not be released from their LOI. I forget who said this, but I was not totally convinced he knew what he was talking about. When Sampson left OU those players were released, and this doesn't seem that different in terms of timing.
  8. LS1 Z28

LS1 Z28 Cowboy

I believe they have to petition the NCAA to be released without having to sit out a year.
    But I think it's common place to recieve the release after a head coach leaves.
    I would love to have Keon Hatcher. But I don't know if we have a scholarship open.
  9. Noven

A/V Subscriber Noven Devil Incarnate

Why not? Not quite half of our team are WRs yet...
    Krali, William McEwan and Pokengineer like this.
  10. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Deputy

Patience... we'll get there.
    CBM2 and William McEwan like this.
  11. fig96

fig96 Wrangler

I believe it's a case by case basis, if there was a player who wanted to leave I think they have to ask the school to be released. Generally speaking they're granted in cases that I can remember, I can think of this happening more often in basketball than football.

This is oddly late for a coach to be fired, however, as we all know.
  12. jbug

jbug Cowboy

One radio rumor being kicked around ...one of the new aggie coaches supposedly trying hard for the position and seems to think he'd bring two of the other current staff with him to Arky. Wouldn't that be a mess??
  13. OKCFan

OKCFan Wrangler

nope. if you ask any aggy fan, they would tell how how it will actually help their recruiting. :lol:

seriously though, yes that would be great.

and i can't really believe this is jbug because i understood that post perfectly.
  14. OstatePokes

A/V Subscriber OstatePokes Cowboy

I also can't imagine there are that many good schools with scholarships to fill at this point in the year. Sure, there is the occasional opening at some schools, but I would expect most of the kids stay at Arkansas. I'm honestly not sure what the typical procedure is in football for this kind of firing, I don't remember one like this. But, when OU fired Kelvin Sampson they gave releases to all 3 incoming recruits and let the players make the decision. I tend to agree with you that they would probably consider a case by case release if some players really wanted out, but I still can't imagine many of these guys finding better places to go play.
  15. fig96

fig96 Wrangler

And that would be who? Haven't heard this one before.

Good point, there probably aren't a lot of schools with spots left to fill. Those guys might find themselves at a lower tier program and let's be honest, despite their obvious issues Arky could be very good next season.
  16. fig96

fig96 Wrangler

Sidenote: I wonder if you're thinking of Chad Morris, OC from Clemson who happens to be an Aggie. He has, according to rumor, interviewed for the position.
  17. CollinOSU

CollinOSU Wrangler

I see Arkansas as being direct recruiting competition. We run similar similar pass heavy offenses, and are less than 200 miles away from each other and recruit from the same area. A lot of our recruits this year had both on their tops. Blake Jackson, Keon Hatcher, Seth Jacobs, and I guess Calvin Barnett could fall in that category (just glad he ended up a cowboy).

I hope that this Petrino fiasco causes a lot more recruits to come our way. Wishful Thinking!

Go Pokes!!
    osuwhit likes this.
  18. Bigg T

Bigg T Wrangler

It really burns me to see any Oklahoma kid play for Arkie...
  19. Samuel Hanson

Samuel Hanson Wrangler

I hate when any of our kids go out of state. I hate that the biggest prospects love OU I don't get it.
  20. OKCFan

OKCFan Wrangler

i think the only way this would have really hurt ark recruiting is if they had kept Petrino.