1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Phil Steele Rankings - OSU #12

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by goPOKES918, May 31, 2012.

1. goPOKES918

goPOKES918 Wrangler

2. starflyer

A/V Subscriber starflyer Live action

I think 12th is about the best case scenario for a pre season ranking. I find it odd that North Carolina is ranked so high though. Especially with a new coach. And of course Notre Dame can field a bunch of 10 year olds and still be ranked.
  3. OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com

I believe his rankings are based on where he thinks teams will finish the season in the rankings instead of where they begin.

I've never liked Steele before. I think he bases way too much of his rankings on pure stats from past seasons. It's nice to see us ranked that high by him but I'd be a hypocrite if I said he knew what he was talking about regarding our team this coming year.
  4. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

After getting his chops busted for two straight years on his lowly expectations of us he has us with double digit wins this season and "under the radar". Now I'm nervous:)
    GoSTATE, Kenny Orange Powers and Rack like this.
  5. pokesinvegas02

pokesinvegas02 Cowboy

Yeah I still have last years magazine. We were 19th. I went through to check how close he was in choosing the top 25.

I tried to go back to Albertsons for a full refund.
  6. Anaranjado

Anaranjado Shaolin Style

albertsons? that place still exists?
  7. goPOKES918

goPOKES918 Wrangler

Food Pyramid?
  8. OSUCowboy787

OSUCowboy787 Cowboy

Food Lion?
    CPA Poke likes this.
  9. BrooksidePoke

BrooksidePoke Wrangler

Still can't understand why writters, bloggers, publications, etc can't use photos of the fully renovated stadium and photos of our new uniforms. Google image search Joseph Randle and almost every photo is him in a new uniform. I realize this isn't a big deal, but it irks me when people use photos of the stadium from like 2007 or pictures of a player from years ago.
  10. Noven

A/V Subscriber Noven Devil Incarnate

He had us at 19th last pre-season? Good lord...
    pokesinvegas02 likes this.
  11. OrangeInPhilly

OrangeInPhilly Wrangler

After hearing him trash OSU pretty much every week last season, it is nice to see him give at least a little love. Still wouldn't buy his magazine though.
    PokealypseNow likes this.
  12. Cro

Cro Wrangler

Steele got notoriety from picking the national championship game a couple years in a row, or something like that. a lot of people like his magazine b/c he does base it on stats and tries to backup his arguments w/ stats rather than opinion. imo, he's just like all the rest -------> no clue besides the same top 6-7 teams every single year
    OSUMIKE17 likes this.
  13. Rack

Rack Deputy

Yep, scares me a bit that he has us so high this coming year. Not that I don't think we will be that good...just that I don't think he know's what he's talking about.
  14. Rack

Rack Deputy

Ditto...Can't you find some new pictures and something without pink clad Texas Tech fans? Really?:facepalm:
  15. OrangeForever

A/V Subscriber OrangeForever I'm a GREAT guy, by the way.

Probably because those are the file photos his publication has and they don't want to pay royalties for others.
    OSUMIKE17 likes this.
  16. HDedmond

HDedmond Wrangler

He has not revealed his Top Ten, but has 4 B12 teams ranked (so far) in his Top 40:
    #12 OSU
    #25 West Virgnia
    #36 K-State
    #37 TCU

I assume that means he'll put Texas in the Top Ten along with 0U.
  17. HDedmond

HDedmond Wrangler

It is also interesting that he has aTm at #30.
  18. SlimPickins

SlimPickins Cowboy

LOL...I had forgot about crowd shots of that game.

But hey...Texas Tech invented the "sea of pink".

Well at least until half time, when a pink tide flowed out the exits.
    Rack likes this.
  19. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

WVU that low? I can see some concerns with them, but I'd be willing to put them in the 15-20 range.
  20. wagonburner

wagonburner Wrangler

I used to buy his magazines a lot just because I like the historical aspect of facts- things I can go back to and read old records and such. And then I got a laptop and later an iphone, so now I don't really need that stuff much while watching football. Anywho, things you should know about his rankings.

• They ranking you see is his post season ranking- where he thinks we will finish.
    • A good bunch of his predictions are based on stars of recruits. Hence, that is why we were not ranked very high in past seasons, and why Texas and OU are always expected to be 1,2.
    • He also gives a lot of credit to # of upperclassmen.
    • He discounts you based on how many players went drafted the previous year.
    • He also runs several computer projections on schedule/rushing attack/ pass defense/ special teams,etc, and personally reads all the beat writer reports from every team, and at this point makes his own analysis of what he thinks will happen.
    bottom line-I respect all of his homework and historical data. It is an easy place to go to find old bowl opponents and a good full roster. I would not put too much stock into who he sees as a MNC contender because frankly, after he reviews all the "stars" and looks at our beat reports, it is just a guess based on our schedule. I will probably buy his mag again just for some toilet reading in the offseason.
    OSUMIKE17 likes this.