Play Everybody

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 28, 2007
I say empty the bench for the next five games. Give everybody some game experience so we come out next year with a good football team and knowing who is the best quarterback. Of course, limit players to four games so that you can redshirt everybody. This season is over.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I say empty the bench for the next five games. Give everybody some game experience so we come out next year with a good football team and knowing who is the best quarterback. Of course, limit players to four games so that you can redshirt everybody. This season is over.
I'm more worried about our future at this point. It's obvious this season is gone, but unless we make changes to the coaching staff, we'll be right back in this boat again.

Kev_Dawg

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
I'm more worried about our future at this point. It's obvious this season is gone, but unless we make changes to the coaching staff, we'll be right back in this boat again.
I can guarantee the excuses will be "we lost NFL talent, it was expected to be a rebuilding year", etc. Maybe we'll get lucky and see a QB change at some point this season, but other than that the offense for next season is not looking good unless we can somehow get rid of OCWTF or Sanders proves to be NFL talent. Even if the OL is fixed by next season I highly doubt the playcalling will be fixed as long as OCWTF is here. Actually more than "highly doubt", more like "guaranteed".

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Gundy has a history of keeping an ineffective QB in too long. We've seen it happen over and over causing wasted seasons again and again.

I've seen enough of his inability to get his team fired up to play. Especially at home. We play with no passion or desire.
We play with stupid schemes that are easily defeated, yet we rarely make adjustments...or let's say the proper adjustments.

We're dead at the first slight and we have no one that can elevate the team -- coaches nor players.
We've got a headcoach that is in the Bahamas during the actual game. His clock management, frustrating decisions not to try to score before half whether we're ahead or behind and we have time to score. Gundy is so removed from the game, there are times when he really needs to fight against a bad call or spot, but he sits there like a spinster at a strip club.\

His inability to successfully recruit or continue to maintain a mid-ranked recruiting class after so much "success" because they don't fit "The Culture" is perplexing.
Holder was right to criticize Gundy's recruiting -- it's abysmal. Constantly being beaten by Baylor, TCU and others is simply inexcusable.

But, the worst act Gundy has committed is not trying to win.
That's grounds for termination.

Kev_Dawg

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
in.

I've seen enough of his inability to get his team fired up to play. Especially at home. We play with no passion or desire.
Myself and others have been criticized for saying this in the past (and a Tom Landry picture gets posted every time), and I didn't feel like taking the time to explain, but since I feel like doing it right now I will.

Instigating a pumped up, positive, firey attitude in a team is a stereotypical quality of a coach in any sport. I understand that everyone has different personalities, but that is no excuse.

Here's a comparison. Having the ability to take control of a situation and have an authoritative personality, at least when the situation requires it, is a stereotype and very necessary for a police officer. I learned this while going through the academy. The instructors were constantly getting onto me for being too quiet and not acting intimidating enough during potentially violent situations. After one scenario where the suspect wouldn't listen to me and I walked over and used force, the lead instructor said "Kev Dawg, you need to work on your command voice. I almost think you're doing this intentionally to trick them so you can beat the crap out of them". Lol. He had a point though. As I gained experience on the job, I'd say it improved and I fully understood why it was necessary to be like that. You may piss people off by sounding like a dick, but it does help prevent violent situations from occurring when used properly.

Anyway, the point is just because Gundy doesn't have a firey personality doesn't mean he can't be like that when needed. Actors and actresses are completely different off the job than on the job....usually. Same for many other professions. Sales, peace officers, retail workers, any job that requires a decent amount of communication with the public. Public speaking in general. I was terrible at that until I had to take public speaking in college...and I'm still not any good, but better than what I was for sure. It's called stepping outside your comfort zone and doing what is necessary to effectively do the job.

Stereotypes always exist for a reason, and this is no different than anything else. A football coach doesn't need to be a cheerleader, but standing on the sideline the whole time with arms folded, zoned out, making us wonder if he's drunk....that is not a positive energy.

People can post all the Landry pictures they want, but a coach should help get their team in the zone, just like a cop should be able to take command of a couple unruly hooligans. It's part of the job.