1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

possiblity of new jobs in Stw

Discussion in 'Jobs, Careers, Networking' started by Stillh2Odad, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Stillh2Odad

Banned Stillh2Odad Banned

"@StwNewsPress: ASCO Industries, a Belgian-based aerospace company, has purchased the former MerCruiser site in Stillwater."--from twitter Here is a link to the company. http://www.asco.be/
  2. PokeSaladAnnie

PokeSaladAnnie Cowboy

That is strange that a aerospace company would move to Stillwater. Recently, someone from Wichita said he was laid off from Beech Craft in Wichita and they are going through bankruptcy and Beech is either closing or being bought by another company. After he lost his job at Beech he moved to Dallas to work with the natural gas industry. He still has his house up in Wichita. I wonder if all of the laid off Beech employees would commute to Stillwater for aircraft jobs or maybe this is the company that is buying Beech Craft?
  3. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Cowboy

I contacted a guy at this company concerning future projects and he did mention they are hiring.
  4. walden2009

walden2009 Cowboy

CNC operators? Wonder what the pay is, Id love to move back to Stillwater!
  5. jetman

jetman Cowboy

Commute to Stillwater from Wichita? That would be about 5 hours of driving per day.
  6. StillwaterTownie

StillwaterTownie Wrangler

I would assume that the workers would love living in Wichita so much that they wouldn't consider moving to Stillwater.
  7. Stingray

Stingray Wrangler

Wanna pm his contact info?
  8. jetman

jetman Cowboy

Those jobs would have to almost pay six figures to make a 5 hour commute worth it. Even then it would be mentally hard to sustain that for a long period of time without burning out. I'm guessing the average worker out there will make about $18 per hour. Plus, besides not wanting to move away from family, there's nothing particularly special about Wichita. I was born there, lived there until I was 12 and my mom and a ton of other family still lives there.
  9. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Cowboy

Use the link in the first post http://www.asco.be/ . Click on Contact at top right of page, then click on ASCO USA and their USA contact page will show a Toons Timmerman with his e mail address listed. He was good enough to request more company information from me and said he would forward on to the correct person. Good luck.
  10. PokeSaladAnnie

PokeSaladAnnie Cowboy

I currently live in DFW area and normally commute or drive two-three hours a day in rush hour traffic. I thought Wichita was only about an hour drive from Stillwater? When I was a student in Stillwater, I threw the Daily Oklahoman for several years and The man who owned most of the routes in Stillwater had routes in Ponca City. I substituted up in Ponca for a month and Ponca was not a bad drive. Isn't Wichita another 30 minutes from Ponca City?
  11. teibbor

Staff A/V Subscriber teibbor Moderator

Yes if you drive 170 mph. It is 86 miles from Ponca and 128 miles from Stillwater
    cowboyethics344 and DogDoc like this.
  12. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Cowboy

Sorry, I got his name jacked up above...it's Timmermans Toon.
  13. jetman

jetman Cowboy

Stillwater is a little over 2 hours from the southern most edge of Wichita. Depending how far you live in town, you can tack on more minutes.
  14. PokeSaladAnnie

PokeSaladAnnie Cowboy

A Chinese Company is going to buy Beechcraft. The article indicates that Beechcraft has facilities in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana. Is there a company that makes parts for Beechcraft in Oklahoma? The Chinese company owned is a private company owned by a couple with the last name Wang and they make mostly Helicopters.
  15. FlamingAggie

FlamingAggie Cowboy

16. SKC

SKC Cowboy

Yeah, I commuted from Ponca to Wichita for 4 years and could count on 1:20 from Ponca to downtown Wichita. The only times I drove from the Wichita area to STW was from Derby and that was 2 hrs, and is on the southern edge.
  17. oks10

oks10 Cowboy

This sure would have been nice just a couple years ago when I graduated. I only moved back to OKC because there weren't any real engineering opportunities for me up there. My wife was even offered a job at the CDL on campus (her dream job). We loved living in Stillwater. Too late for me now though, just finished having our house built!
  18. jakeman

A/V Subscriber jakeman Cowboy

Really? Wang Choppers?
    RicEllis85 likes this.