Post Game Thread WVU edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
Random thoughts:
1. Illingworth looked pretty decent for a true freshman making his first start.
2. LD Brown has been our best RB this year.
3. Our defense played really well despite giving up a lot of yards.
4. Alex Hale has been awesome.
5. Tom Hutton has quietly performed really well.
6. It hasn't been pretty, but we're 2-0 and the Big 12 looks wide open.
7. When was the last time we had a 7+ minute touchdown drive to ice the game?

Nov 18, 2010
Defense was out there all day long in the heat. Held them to 1 touchdown, but also scored a touchdown. Our defensive backs look elite. And we had what, 4 or 5 sacks?

Offense was steady. Wallace and LD Brown made big critical plays, especially in the fourth quarter. Illingworth was solid. The offensive line really stepped up and put together a solid strategy, considering how many guys are down/gone.

Special teams looked great. Alex Hale is nails. Dude hasn't missed a field goal and couple of those were 40+

This is a very solid win. We're not used to having a Defense oriented team, but I like it.

And give credit to the coaches. They played the clock right at the end and made a close game look like a convincing win.

OU losing today makes this a pretty fun Saturday.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Illingworth looked pretty decent for a true freshman making his first start.
I hope people remember this when critique the offense. I am sure the coaches we going. As vanilla as possible considering it was his first start, and one of his best weapons )Chuba) was misfiring.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Illingworth looked pretty decent for a true freshman making his first start.
I hope people remember this when critique the offense. I am sure the coaches we going. As vanilla as possible considering it was his first start, and one of his best weapons )Chuba) was misfiring.
Plus trying to protect him from the Sills Bros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
i think an even more important element is that in 6 months we've lost 5 OL who were starters, or have started multiple games. Two in the last week. That literally shuts your offense down to very simple play calling. Your QB then is told to read your first read, if he isn't open, run or throw it away. What happens to a young QB is what happened when he decided to throw late over the middle, interception...

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
1. Illingworth is serviceable but doesn't have the trust of the coaches yet. That's fine. All he has to do is beat Kansas and hopefully Sanders is back. Really looks like he is the future though.

2. The defense looks really good. Twice now we've asked them to step up and both times they have delivered.

3. Whatever we are doing with special teams it's working. Grogan and Philly struggled in their first year but had great careers. Hutton was the same but looks great this year. Hale so far hasn't had a new starter slump.

4. Hopefully that last run by Hubbard woke him up. Brown has been the better back so far but Hubbard sealed the deal late. We get old Hubbard back and we have two guys in the backfield that are scary.

5. Thanks Tech. We control our destiny but if they take care of business we are really in the driver seat early.

Sep 22, 2011
I am all in on this defense, they are very good. Fast hard hitting, good in coverage, good open field tackling Tough in the redzone, great pass rush. We can lean on this defense, especially if we can keep them iff the field a bit more in the early game than we did today. PS i dont know why people throw the ball at 8 anymore, guy is as close as you can get to lockdown in the NCAA

Illingworth did well, but sanders is the starter when he comes back. Smart kid though, knows to get the ball to 2 when he needs to.

Tylan wallace is one of the best players in the NCAA, he wont get the numbers this season unless we find a consistent run game, but every time the game is on the line and his number is called he makes it happen, that catch on the last drive was a belitnekoff moment.

I dont know what is going on with Chuba, but he needs to figure it out or he is going to lose himself millions of dollars this year, you cant have 2 fumbles when we are in a 1 score game.

We have a heck of a field goal kicker. 2 kicks over 40 in his second game

It was a grinding, heart rending game, but our defense won the game and our offense did enough to hold onto the lead. It was fun to watch!