1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Prayers Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NYC Poke, Jul 11, 2012.

1. NYC Poke

A/V Subscriber NYC Poke Sir Dr. Lawyer Esquire, Lord of East Texica

My brother has been battling cancer, nasopharangeal cancer, sort of directly behind the hangy-down thing in his throat near the brain stem.

He's been through a full course of radiation/chemo and we thought the cancer was gone, but it wasn't. So we had to start taking him down to MD Anderson. I'll may or may not fill in the gory details as I feel emotionally ready, but this has been incredibly difficult to watch. I can't even imagine what he is going through.

I called my mom a bit ago, and she couldn't even talk on the phone other than to say it was "bad news." My brother called me a bit later to fill me in.

Not only have they not been able to contain the cancer, but it is spreading aggressively. There is no timeline as of now, but these types of things tend to progress pretty rapidly. He'll be dead soon and he knows it.

He seems in pretty good spirits about it. We've all known the score from the beginning of this ordeal, and nobody has had more time to contemplate his demise than my brother. I'm afraid if it were me I'd find it all-consuming. As of now I don't know if we're talking weeks, months, a year, or what.

He said in a way it's a little liberating. He no longer has to plan for the future. He's cashing out his 401k and using the money to build the most badass home PC imaginable, something he's always wanted to do.

My mom has always been one of those hard-headed people who think that anything is possilbe if they just try and work hard enough. This attitude has gotten her far in life, but it makes something like this all the more devastating for her. I'm sure on some level she's blaming herself.

I'm not sure exactly what's in store, but I'm sure it won't be pleasant for any of us. Please remember us in your prayers, because we could all use the help.

Russ
  2. ksupoke

A/V Subscriber ksupoke I've never studied a HS recruits tape

My friend you are always in my prayers you and your family. Now I just have something to focus those prayers on.

God Bless,
  3. osucam

osucam Cowgirl Soccer Guru

I'm so sorry to hear that man, I can't even imagine what you and your family are going through. Your brother and your family are in my prayers. Don't give up, God is good and can do amazing things. Not trying to pry or anything, but does your brother know Jesus?
    osupride97 likes this.
  4. NYC Poke

Yes he does. We don't wear it on our sleeves but we are a religious family. The first call I made after I talked with my brother was to our preacher.
    osupride97 and zachya like this.
  5. jakeman

A/V Subscriber jakeman Cowboy

Prayers for you and yours.
  6. osucam

osucam Cowgirl Soccer Guru

That's very good to hear. "I can do all things through Christ Jesus who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13
  7. Pokit N

Pokit N Cowboy

Friend-you and your family will be in my prayers.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  8. snuffy

Staff A/V Subscriber snuffy Deep Thoughts.

NYC Poke you and your family are in my prayers. My mom is currently going through chemo for brain cancer so I can identify what you are going though and how it can affect your family.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  9. DogDoc

DogDoc Wrangler

Prayers sent.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  10. bleedinorange

bleedinorange Wrangler

I have lived this in my family and understand the pain of seeing a loved one suffer. Both you and Snuffy will be in my prayers.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  11. NYC Poke

It's frustrating, isn't it? The ups and downs are ruthless.

I waved him off to Houston with high hopes. He looks and is feeling better than he has been in months. I'm not going to cry "Unfair!" because such is life and them's the breaks. I just wish I knew what to do.
  12. scottishorangemen

A/V Subscriber scottishorangemen falch ac anfarwol

Prayers for you and your mom and brother.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  13. NYC Poke

I know the suffering my brother is going through, and one of the things they were always concerned about was the tumor's proximity to his brain. I don't know what your mom is going through, but I can imagine, which mainly means I have no doubt that it causes suffering that I can only imagine. You never know what it's going to do.

You have my prayers backatcha.
    osupride97 likes this.
  14. Jostate

Jostate Cowboy

Prayers sent. I'm sick about what your brother and your family have to battle. Hang in there.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  15. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber CPTNQUIRK A Legend in His Own Mind

In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
    We are here but for awhile. I hope that your brother makes the most of his time. Cherish the good times you have had together and may the Good Lord provide for all of your needs and grant you peace. Good Luck.
    NYC Poke, osupride97 and ksupoke like this.
  16. State

A/V Subscriber State Cold Ass Honkey

I hate to hear that. My thoughts go out to you.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  17. drbwh

drbwh Cowboy

prayer sent. hope he can deal peacefully with what is ahead.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  18. GodsPeace

GodsPeace Joshua 1:9

Praying
    NYC Poke likes this.
  19. kenny41

kenny41 Cowboy

Prayers to your brother and family... I hope these prayers bring peace to you
    NYC Poke likes this.
  20. jetman

jetman Cowboy

I'm so sorry to you and your family NYC, that's just terrible. If you don't mind me asking, how old is your brother and how was this detected to begin with?
    NYC Poke likes this.