Proud to be an American

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
I'm wondering what a statement like that even means. I know I'm grateful to be an American, but I'm not sure I'm proud or ashamed to be one. To me pride is more about specific actions/accomplishments than it is about identity. Maybe someone can explain it to me in a way that it resonates, but like I said earlier, I am grateful and feel extremely fortunate to have been born a US citizen because I know so many around the world would trade places with me in a minute, but that doesn't really make me feel proud. I guess to put it another way, I'm proud to have graduated from OSU, but not really proud or ashamed to be an Okie.

Jul 22, 2011
This is clearly the best country on Earth. Even the people who hate it never seem to leave.

We don’t have a wall keeping them in or anything.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I'm wondering what a statement like that even means. I know I'm grateful to be an American, but I'm not sure I'm proud or ashamed to be one.
I think being proud to be an American means that at least you know you are free. And it means that you won't forget the men who died that gave that right to you. To be proud would be to be the kind of person that would gladly stand up next to other proud people and defend her still today. There would have to be no doubt that you love this land. And you would want your deity to bless the USA.

I'm pretty sure that is what it means. Or so I've been told, many, many times.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I'm wondering what a statement like that even means. I know I'm grateful to be an American, but I'm not sure I'm proud or ashamed to be one. To me pride is more about specific actions/accomplishments than it is about identity. Maybe someone can explain it to me in a way that it resonates, but like I said earlier, I am grateful and feel extremely fortunate to have been born a US citizen because I know so many around the world would trade places with me in a minute, but that doesn't really make me feel proud. I guess to put it another way, I'm proud to have graduated from OSU, but not really proud or ashamed to be an Okie.
Agree with everything cept last line. Very proud to be an Okie.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
To me pride is more about specific actions/accomplishments than it is about identity.
I agree - which is precisely WHY I'm proud to be an American. I'm proud not only of my own accomplishments, but even more so those of "my people." From those who fought for their freedom from England in the 1770s to those who fought to keep England free in the 1940s. I'm proud that our farmers export food around the world. I'm proud that we provide billions of dollars in aid to countries in need - even if
I don't agree how much of it is spent. I'm proud of how far we've come in race relations, knowing we still have a long way to go. I'm proud that people from all over the world want to come to America, and almost none that are here want to leave.

As you said, I feel extremely lucky to have won the geographic birth lottery, but I'm also extremely proud of what America has done with its riches to improve the world for others. Of course we can always do better, but what America has done is amazing.

(Note: I've only spoken about a few of the things that make me proud, fully understanding there are numerous horrible things in our past. On balance we move away from the bad and learn from our national mistakes. We'll get better, of that I'm confident.)

Well

This just shows my eyes are going too
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Who votes in these polls? I never get the call for these polls.

https://www.gallup.com/201200/gallu...wsv9&utm_campaign=item_259841&utm_medium=copy

This is the link to gallup stated in the article. From the Gallup website:
"Gallup interviews U.S. adults aged 18 and older living in all 50 states and the District of Columbia using a dual-frame design, which includes both landline and cellphone numbers. Gallup samples landline and cellphone numbers using random-digit-dial methods. Gallup purchases samples for this study from Survey Sampling International (SSI)."

I don't think their random number generator is all that random. I'm likely all wet, but I don't see how this poll is trustworthy at all. The dems I know downtown OKC, are nothing like those idiots on the coast. The ones I know are proud Americans. They don't like Trump, but they're still proud Americans.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
I think more people would be proud to be an American if we stopped spending trillions of dollars in Regime change wars in countries that protect American economic interests and invested that money in our own people and infrastructure. It would also be a more efficient use of American goodwill and less military casualties and a lower VA funding obligation for the future.

I find it hard to accept that we can afford a hundred thousand troops to Iran, but can't get clean water to Flint, public schools open five days and affordable medications for our most vulnerable citizens. I will credit Trump for starting to work on the affordability of medication, before seemingly undoing all his work in a tantrum with Democrats.

Jul 15, 2010
Dallas and Istanbul
A lot wrong with this country right now, but I wouldn't trade governments with any other country. Whole earth seems to be turning into a shithole right now. Snowflakes on one side, cartels and murders on the other.

Aug 16, 2012
I think more people would be proud to be an American if we stopped spending trillions of dollars in Regime change wars in countries that protect American economic interests and invested that money in our own people and infrastructure. It would also be a more efficient use of American goodwill and less military casualties and a lower VA funding obligation for the future.

I find it hard to accept that we can afford a hundred thousand troops to Iran, but can't get clean water to Flint, public schools open five days and affordable medications for our most vulnerable citizens. I will credit Trump for starting to work on the affordability of medication, before seemingly undoing all his work in a tantrum with Democrats.
Name me one municipality where the US government is responsible for providing water. Hint....there are none.

Jul 28, 2011
Reno NV
The Bible is clear regarding the subject of pride: "Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before the fall." Proverbs 16:18. I will never understand how the religious right could be so solidly supportive of the least Godly President to ever occupy the White House. If anyone on this board can explain this...kindly enlighten me.

Mar 11, 2006
The Bible is clear regarding the subject of pride: "Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before the fall." Proverbs 16:18. I will never understand how the religious right could be so solidly supportive of the least Godly President to ever occupy the White House. If anyone on this board can explain this...kindly enlighten me.
Not part of that group, but not hard to explain. Surprised anyone on a political board would have to ask.

Who would they support instead of Trump? Presidential elections are basically binary choices. For the last several years, the Dem candidate has been more pro-abortion than the Repub candidate. But now due to the far-left push, all Dem candidates support abortion up to birth.

Jul 28, 2011
Reno NV
Not part of that group, but not hard to explain. Surprised anyone on a political board would have to ask.

Who would they support instead of Trump? Presidential elections are basically binary choices. For the last several years, the Dem candidate has been more pro-abortion than the Repub candidate. But now due to the far-left push, all Dem candidates support abortion up to birth.
Republicans had several qualified candidates from which to chose who were not as repugnant as trump, yet they allowed him to hijack the brand, the election and the presidency. And while the Dems are far from perfect, there is no acceptable excuse for electing an individual as void of morals, integrity and decency as trump. I am not a Democrat but I believe I am a fair-minded, clear-thinking, God fearing American who knows the difference between right and wrong. Most Okies consider themselves to be God fearing, as well, yet they support a President who faces multiple law suits from women claiming abuse, tax evasion, obstruction of justice, violation of the constitution and possible impeachment. How can your support for such an individual be justified? Oh, wait...there's always the economy. The booming economy built on reduced taxes for corporations and the wealthy that is draining the US treasury and driving us deeper and deeper in debt. No surprise there, since trump told us in the campaign how much he loved debt (says the guy who bankrupted 9 companies, leaving his creditors holding the bag). I guess if he bankrupts America it will be the crowing jewel in his fake hair do.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Republicans had several qualified candidates from which to chose who were not as repugnant as trump, yet they allowed him to hijack the brand, the election and the presidency. And while the Dems are far from perfect, there is no acceptable excuse for electing an individual as void of morals, integrity and decency as trump. I am not a Democrat but I believe I am a fair-minded, clear-thinking, God fearing American who knows the difference between right and wrong. Most Okies consider themselves to be God fearing, as well, yet they support a President who faces multiple law suits from women claiming abuse, tax evasion, obstruction of justice, violation of the constitution and possible impeachment. How can your support for such an individual be justified? Oh, wait...there's always the economy. The booming economy built on reduced taxes for corporations and the wealthy that is draining the US treasury and driving us deeper and deeper in debt. No surprise there, since trump told us in the campaign how much he loved debt (says the guy who bankrupted 9 companies, leaving his creditors holding the bag). I guess if he bankrupts America it will be the crowing jewel in his fake hair do.
But...Hillary.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Open primaries and people allowed to change affiliations to bite in Republican primaries, Independents allowed to vote in Republican primaries, all of which caused problems with getting to choose a different candidate. Many of the better candidates were taken away by early states, with problems like above, before states like Oklahoma even got to vote. Democrats used this as a way to basically force someone like Trump through to supposedly give Hillary a walk in the park election. They didn't realize we would never vote for Hillary.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk