QB Discussion: Theory

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Is it possible the reason HCMG will not play either Dru or Spencer because of Cornelius fragility or because HCMG is unwilling to put the guy to give us the best chance to win on the field due to some misguided sense of loyalty. This is the same nonsense we dealt with with alex cate and dax garman. Neither of those guys were any good but HCMG forced them into the starting QB simply because they were here longer. Now we arent even allowed to see the possible replacements! Its like he is protecting Cornelius or something.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Has anyone even seen Brown or Sanders in live game action? Corndog barely ever had time to throw. Our OLine is our biggest problem right now, and frankly...I dont think that Henson is a very good OLine coach.

Jul 24, 2007
Edmond
Has anyone even seen Brown or Sanders in live game action? Corndog barely ever had time to throw. Our OLine is our biggest problem right now, and frankly...I dont think that Henson is a very good OLine coach.
My thoughts as well. Everyone says Henson is great, but what evidence is there to support that.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
A good QB can at least somewhat overcome a shaky OL. TC has simply been missing throws that shouldn't be missed every single game whether he has protection or not. The OL does need serious work but I think the QB situation is definitely a bigger issue.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
My thoughts as well. Everyone says Henson is great, but what evidence is there to support that.
I have a feeling we will be better in about 2 years on the o line. Its all about recruiting and development. Generally you get high school kids and then develop them for 2 years before putting them in. O line recruiting has been bad for years now especially recruiting high school kids. This year though, we are really doing well. Henson doesnt have much to work with atm but will soon.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
A good QB can at least somewhat overcome a shaky OL. TC has simply been missing throws that shouldn't be missed every single game whether he has protection or not. The OL does need serious work but I think the QB situation is definitely a bigger issue.
I honestly think OC is our biggest weakness right now. TC can hit the short and intermediate throws - mostly over the middle. But Yurcich refuses to go there more than about 2 times per game. It's a stunning display of idiocy.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
www.prgsales.com
Well now that we got that behind us...it was going to happen, it’s time to optimize this new redshirt rule. With 8 games left, let Corndog play entire game against KU and Baylor. Then let Brown play entire games against 3 teams and the same for Sanders. You preserve their reshirts and it becomes an audition for next year.

The quarterback that plays the best from here on out gets to start in the Quaker Oats or Uber Bowl...or whatever 2nd tier bowl game.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
I honestly think OC is our biggest weakness right now. TC can hit the short and intermediate throws - mostly over the middle. But Yurcich refuses to go there more than about 2 times per game. It's a stunning display of idiocy.
Fair point. Since you mentioned Yurcich, I'd say he's a bigger problem than the QB situation. He reminds me of Owasso High School's former coach, Bill Patterson. Shotgun formation, about 4 plays. Run left, run right, run up middle, screen pass. New coach last year, bam, state championship.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Completely agree. I put 90% of this loss on Yurcich. Can’t run the same offense every year with completely different personnel. Mason Rudolph can make the exclusive deep throwing game work, Corndog and Daxx Garman can’t. Have to adjust to your personnel and it isn’t like Corndog was thrown in there because of injury, he had an entire offseason to build an offense around him and just decided to not change anything. Also, when the best players on your team play running back and you are average 7.2 yards per carry on true running plays (taking out sacks), you need to RUN THE BALL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree. I put 90% of this loss on Yurcich. Can’t run the same offense every year with completely different personnel. Mason Rudolph can make the exclusive deep throwing game work, Corndog and Daxx Garman can’t. Have to adjust to your personnel and it isn’t like Corndog was thrown in there because of injury, he had an entire offseason to build an offense around him and just decided to not change anything. Also, when the best players on your team play running back and you are average 7.2 yards per carry on true running plays (taking out sacks), you need to RUN THE BALL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same. I'm putting the loss on him as well. He should know by now that this game is a shootout. 4 and 1 and can't get one at home with Justice Hill? 3 and 10 and sideline laterals? Cmon. He's the reason the defense was in the field 41 out of 60 minutes. I don't know how but I'm sure he's responsible for the dropped punt in 3rd qtr too.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
It’s not Henson. It’s the talent on oline. I can’t wait until some of his recruits come in and start replacing some do these guys

Nov 18, 2011
Not defending the line play but this was the same thing being said in 2014, then Rudolph took over and suddenly the line got better. You say has anyone seen Sanders or Brown, well obviously no, but there is a clear history of Gundy making the wrong decision in this regard.

Nov 18, 2011
No reason why we shouldn’t have seen one of the two at this point. We are a quarter of the way through the season, and with the new redshirt rules both Brown and Sanders each have 4 games to burn. I understood not wasting them on the early given games, but when nothing is working with corn against an awful defense, no reason not to see if they can provide a spark.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Why is it that T-Tech’s QB can learn their system in a few games, but it takes years to learn ours?
Because Kingsbury finds intelligent QBs. Hate to say it, but we don’t. Look at mayfield and some of the others. He finds guys like Mike Leach and the #1 thing he looks for over athleticism and arm strength is decision making. I don’t care if he is a 5 star recruit if he doesn’t have good decision making then he will lose you games.

Oct 30, 2007
Why is it that T-Tech’s QB can learn their system in a few games, but it takes years to learn ours?
They said that Bowman ran this system in high school. It was probably a seamless transition for him.

From the comments I've heard Coach Gundy make, I don't think Brown and Sanders are struggling to learn the offense. I think they're struggling to run the offense at the up-tempo pace we run at times.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I hate the new redshirt rule. It's caused Gundy to hold back on game time for the #2 and #3 guys because he's saving them like the depression kids saved money. He's hitched his car 100% to 1 guy. If that guy is struggling there is no plan B.

Nov 18, 2011
They said that Bowman ran this system in high school. It was probably a seamless transition for him.

From the comments I've heard Coach Gundy make, I don't think Brown and Sanders are struggling to learn the offense. I think they're struggling to run the offense at the up-tempo pace we run at times.
Up tempo is not working for corn either, he can’t hit throws, so what’s the difference. Keep in mind, per Gundy, Weeden was terrible in practice.