1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Question/Observation about a Ro Verto Solo Thread Locking

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by BeatOU, Oct 14, 2010.

1. BeatOU

BeatOU GGBTW Staff A/V Subscriber

Mods, the below inquiry is in regards to this thread that was created by Ro Verto Solo and is now locked: http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=98732

So, tonight I went to the gen discussion forum. I rarely ever go there, but just did out of curiosity, to see what everyone was saying about the earthquake. That's when I stumbled upon Ro Verto's thread.

In my observation, Ro Verto was doing what he does best: digging up fun facts and trivial data and reporting on it. No harm done. There were a few other people who did deviate the topic a bit, but it was rather insignificant, really.

Why was this thread locked?

There seems to be a lack of standardization in two areas:
    1) When a thread gets locked
    and
    2) When an explanation for a locking is provided

I can understand that this is probably due to the obvious need to have several mods and some people can be a bit more over-reactionary than others. However, this one simply puzzles me....

IMO, this thread needs unlocked right away and Ro Verto allowed to continue upon his quest.

Thank you for your time,
    Mike

ps, where is the link to the job application for OP.com mod?

2. OP 9000

OP 9000 Administrator Staff A/V Subscriber

If people want to see how many posts they have, they can look at their own profile. If they want to see where they compare to other posters.. the can click on 'community' -> 'member list' and sort by posts.

That thread was again taking the post count and turning it into a contest amongst a group of posters. The same group of posters who we've had trouble with posting garbage to pad their counts in the past.

And if that wasn't enough, it quickly went off the rails into the same TWSS, anti-mod policy bashing, who's got more posts mutual admiration circle jerk that got the twizzler thread closed, and will probably someday get the random thoughts thread closed.

If people are judging their worth on this website based on the number of posts they have and not on the QUALITY of what they're posting, then perhaps we should just turn the post counters off.

3. BeatOU

BeatOU GGBTW Staff A/V Subscriber

Note: This was at 1:00am. I didn't really write it... my friend did. His name is Anheiser Bucsh. :)

4. t1m0thy

t1m0thy Walker told me I have AIDS A/V Subscriber

Yeah, this site isn't for having fun, so stop trying to do that!

And keep your stupid frisbee off my lawn!

5. Carneyman14

Carneyman14 Amazing golf ball whacker guy A/V Subscriber

I'm all for this

6. CTeamPoke

CTeamPoke Wildcard A/V Subscriber

Agreed. Who cares about post counts? I love reading random posts, and I love making random posts. There is no personal gain in what my post count is... it's actually really depressing to see my post count.

7. t1m0thy

t1m0thy Walker told me I have AIDS A/V Subscriber

Try being 84te.

8. CPTNQUIRK

CPTNQUIRK A Legend in His Own Mind A/V Subscriber

In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
    I don't care about the post count, either. I just like being able to share OSU sports or inconsequential small-talk at any odd hour.

9. Chris H.

Chris H. administrator emeritus A/V Subscriber

There is a very big difference in "inconsequential small-talk" and post counting, "page", "assist" and other such ridiculousness.

10. dds115

dds115 Free Roverto!!! A/V Subscriber

I think I'd like a reputation count better, but then again, I'd be in the red. Nvm.

11. Rob B.

Rob B. Twizzard of Oz A/V Subscriber

it was a freaking game, much like survivor pools, it's ok to feel left out and/or be a buzzkill, just nut up and admit it! sheesh
    there have been threads of non-stop player/coach/and especially AD bashing that were NEVER closed.
    And whoever it was that made the comment about Roverto's sig images being an "I love you here's a sig pic" thing is more childish than I've ever dreamed of being, and I'm pretty damn childish.

12. OSUfreak82

OSUfreak82 Territorial Marshal A/V Subscriber

This!

13. Carneyman14

Carneyman14 Amazing golf ball whacker guy A/V Subscriber

How about we only count posts that are made in the OSU sports forum.....

14. CPTNQUIRK

CPTNQUIRK A Legend in His Own Mind A/V Subscriber

In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
    I like that idea. And I wish Cardsfan08 would quit posting excerpts from books that I have read and excerpts from books that I have not read.