Ranking the Big 12's rbs(you'll be pleased)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
With ProFootballFocus' marvelous scouting at our fingertips, EerSports is taking a look at the top returning players for West Virginia in 2018. But.... what do these ratings mean on their own? A good bit, but what gives them some perspective is where it ranks with the other teams in the Big12 Conference. With that in mind, we're going to take a look at where West Virginia ranks in relation to the Big12 at every position on the field - at least as far as ProFootballFocus is concerned. Then, we'll give some context to those rankings and share some thoughts below. Today, we'll take a look at the running back position. If you missed any of our previous entries in the series, the links are at the bottom and include WVU's rank among the ten Big12 teams.

PFF RB Rankings
1. David Montgomery, Iowa State - 92.1
2. Rodney Anderson, Oklahoma - 84.4
3. Justice Hill, Oklahoma State - 82.0
4. Darius Anderson, TCU - 81.3
5. Alex Barnes, Kansas State - 77.5
6. Kennedy McKoy, West Virginia - 76.8
7. JaMychal Hasty, Baylor - 76.5
8. Kyle Porter, Texas - 49.3
9. Khalil Herbert, Kansas - 47.7
10. Desmond Nisby, Texas Tech - 47.6

Gutsy call pays off for Iowa State coaches - Two years ago, Iowa State had a Freshman All-American in Mike Warren. Actually, not just a Freshman All-American, but just a flat All-American, according to a couple of publications. The following year, the staff in Ames saw potential in David Montgomery and, worried by Warren's fumbling issues, split time between the two backs. Last year, Montgomery was the man for the Cyclones, and he rewarded the coaches with one of the best running back seasons, grade-wise, in years. He ekes out West Virginia quarterback Will Grier for the top returning player in the Big12, at least according to ProFootballFocus grades.

What a one-two punch for the Sooners - I'm only listing presumed starters (using available spring depth charts) for this list, but Oklahoma's backup running back, Trey Sermon, finished with a high enough grade (83.2) that he would have finished third on this list. Oklahoma had the No. 2 and No. 3 backs last year, and could have them again this season.

What to make of McKoy's grade - Honestly, I'm a bit perplexed. On the one hand, to the naked eye, McKoy did not look like he had the same burst this year as he did last year. Yet, his grade improved a handful of points from 2016 to 2017. Then I look at the regular season finale against Oklahoma where McKoy basically ran a wildcat offense and rushed for 137 yards and three touchdowns.... and received a 59.5 grade that week. More goes into these grades than just stats, but it's hard to wrap my head around that juxtaposition of grade and actual production. In the grand scheme of things, a 76.8 grade is not bad, and this is a loaded running back year in the league, so coming in at sixth is nothing to be ashamed of.

Oct 30, 2007
Justice Hill is the best running back in the Big 12. He led league last season in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns despite the fact that we had a lot of injuries up front in the offensive line. He's the 5th ranked returning running back in the power 5.

If Coach Henson can get our offensive line playing well, Justice could have a really special season. Montgomery is a stud. I love his heart and playmaking ability despite his size. Anderson & Sermon will have good years running behind OU's offensive line. But there isn't a back in the league I would take over Justice Hill.

Sep 9, 2013
Pro scouts review every player on every snap of every game.
For rbs, pass protection and blocking figure in. If a rb isnt running the ball and misses a block, he gets negative rating on that play.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Justice Hill is the best running back in the Big 12. He led league last season in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns despite the fact that we had a lot of injuries up front in the offensive line. He's the 5th ranked returning running back in the power 5.

If Coach Henson can get our offensive line playing well, Justice could have a really special season. Montgomery is a stud. I love his heart and playmaking ability despite his size. Anderson & Sermon will have good years running behind OU's offensive line. But there isn't a back in the league I would take over Justice Hill.
Hill is a very good rb and very consistent, but I cant see how he's better than Anderson. Firstly Anderson averages 2.5 yards more per carry and over 10 more yards more per reception. He seems to be more effective as a receiver too. Yes Hill has more yards but Anderson has more overall touchdowns; And Hill also started every game and has 30 additional carries. Anderson didnt start until week 7. He had the most yards from scrimmage in the country (for a rb) after that day and an incredible performance against the best D he saw all year at georgia.

On balance i would say that OU and Osu have the two best backs in the league though. And I am really looking forward to seeing how good King and Sermon get; they'll be running the show next year for both backfields. I bet Anderson gets drafted before HIll =)

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Hill is a very good rb and very consistent, but I cant see how he's better than Anderson. Firstly Anderson averages 2.5 yards more per carry and over 10 more yards more per reception. He seems to be more effective as a receiver too. Yes Hill has more yards but Anderson has more overall touchdowns; And Hill also started every game and has 30 additional carries. Anderson didnt start until week 7. He had the most yards from scrimmage in the country (for a rb) after that day and an incredible performance against the best D he saw all year at georgia.

On balance i would say that OU and Osu have the two best backs in the league though. And I am really looking forward to seeing how good King and Sermon get; they'll be running the show next year for both backfields. I bet Anderson gets drafted before HIll =)
Compare the O lines at OU and OSU last year. There’s no telling what Justice would have done with a quality line ahead of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007

Last season Anderson averaged 5.9 yards per carry. Hill averaged 5.5 yards per carry. You had a lot more talent and continuity on the offensive line though. Anderson came on late, but he didn't show up for the first half of the season. I guess that's understandable after his injuries.

I didn't realize that Anderson was such a threat as a receiver. His receiving stats are pretty impressive for a RB. That's the one phase of the game Hill is pretty average in. If Anderson stays healthy and progresses, he'll probably challenge Hill as the best back in the league. I can't wait for college football season to come around again!

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas

Justice will have a great year unless Gundy does what he plans and puts thin limits on his usage

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Compare the O lines at OU and OSU last year. There’s no telling what Justice would have done with a quality line ahead of him.

We will never know. But OU is lucky to have a really, really good OL coach. I thought you had a great one in wikcline for a while.

Last season Anderson averaged 5.9 yards per carry. Hill averaged 5.5 yards per carry. You had a lot more talent and continuity on the offensive line though. Anderson came on late, but he didn't show up for the first half of the season. I guess that's understandable after his injuries.

I didn't realize that Anderson was such a threat as a receiver. His receiving stats are pretty impressive for a RB. That's the one phase of the game Hill is pretty average in. If Anderson stays healthy and progresses, he'll probably challenge Hill as the best back in the league. I can't wait for college football season to come around again!
Yeah my bad, i was looking at the ypc stat from each player's bowl game, as if that was the final tally for the year. I was high but that's not excuse for my insolence. He broke out with that great game against tcu, pretty complete back. It'll be fun with the top backs the league right here in OK

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
We will never know. But OU is lucky to have a really, really good OL coach. I thought you had a great one in wikcline for a while.

Yeah my bad, i was looking at the ypc stat from each player's bowl game, as if that was the final tally for the year. I was high but that's not excuse for my insolence. He broke out with that great game against tcu, pretty complete back. It'll be fun with the top backs the league right here in OK

We did. And then the "O-line coach that shall not be named" quit recruiting, got fired, and cursed the job. It took several years and several coaches before the curse was removed and Voldemort was vanquished. Now we are back on track there.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net

Exactly! The entire conventional wisdom and analysis of Mason vs. Mayfield has also been skewed by the fact that Mayfield and Anderson played behind the best O-Line in the country. On the other hand Mason only saw the field in 2014 because our line was so embarrassingly bad the prior QB was lost for the season from concussions from being sacked every other play and we couldn’t get 2 yards on a run when we needed it.

Our O-Line improved to poor in 2015 and average in 2016. They were decent at times in 2017 but still injury riddled. Missing O-Linemen cost us the TCU game last year.

If you want to know what Baker would have looked like behind our Offensive Line just re-watch the third quarter of the Georgia game, the only quarter of the year that OU’s O-Line got whipped in the past two years. He was absolutely pedestrian running around like chicken with his head cut off. A line the quality of OU’s O-Line the past two years can make a good player look great. If Mason had that king of protection he’d have passed for an obscene amount of yardage. As it is, he still passed for more yardage than Mayfield last year without the benefit of a superior line. Mayfield will be the Tony Manderich of this year’s draft.

I agree that if Henson can put something together that is considered “good” Justice will have a record setting year. It doesn’t have to be best line in the country good, just good.

Hill is easily the best back in the Big 12.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Oklahoma City, OK
I watched the Montgomery kid from ISU live and in person. He was definitely a great player...and I wouldn't trade Hill for him. Hill and King will be fun to watch this year.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Exactly! The entire conventional wisdom and analysis of Mason vs. Mayfield has also been skewed by the fact that Mayfield and Anderson played behind the best O-Line in the country. On the other hand Mason only saw the field in 2014 because our line was so embarrassingly bad the prior QB was lost for the season from concussions from being sacked every other play and we couldn’t get 2 yards on a run when we needed it.

Our O-Line improved to poor in 2015 and average in 2016. They were decent at times in 2017 but still injury riddled. Missing O-Linemen cost us the TCU game last year.

If you want to know what Baker would have looked like behind our Offensive Line just re-watch the third quarter of the Georgia game, the only quarter of the year that OU’s O-Line got whipped in the past two years. He was absolutely pedestrian running around like chicken with his head cut off. A line the quality of OU’s O-Line the past two years can make a good player look great. If Mason had that king of protection he’d have passed for an obscene amount of yardage. As it is, he still passed for more yardage than Mayfield last year without the benefit of a superior line. Mayfield will be the Tony Manderich of this year’s draft.

I agree that if Henson can put something together that is considered “good” Justice will have a record setting year. It doesn’t have to be best line in the country good, just good.

Hill is easily the best back in the Big 12.
Mayfield didnt always have the best Oline in the country. In 2015 it was patchwork, and not very good, it took a couple years for those guy to mature into who they were in 2017. And they were still a playoff team in 2015. I think after 3 seasons the Mayfield vs Rudolph debate is over, at least in terms of who was better up to this point. We can get granular in the metrics or any other number of measureables. Lots of NFL teams did that too and well, they liked what they saw after the evaluations. And much of his reputation was earned outside the pocket when protection breaks down or someone is running after him so you cant just say his oline made Mayfield great. There is only one reason why rudolph passed for more yards; 88 more pass attempts. Anyway, now they are both NFLers and the slate is clean and we can have a whole new set of arguing who is better.

There is no way Hill is "easily" the best back, the stats alone belie that statement. I have no issue if you think he's the best, but to insinuate the separation isnt even close so that Hill is "easily" better is just not objective. you can use the oline excuse all day long but that's just an excuse, all we have is what actually happened on the field, not what you think would happen if they had better linemen. I'm not sure what objective measure you use to determine he is easily better, so far all you've cited is that OU had a better Oline, which doesnt make Anderson worse. Anderson outplayed Hill against almost all common opponents in games he started. Including against the best D in the big 12. In fact his best games of the year were against the best defenses he faced in tcu and uga. against tcu , 290 total yards. his next best game was a 200 yard rushing effort vs the #6 D in the country in uga. If you gave Anderson an extra 80 carries, he would absolutely have more yards and touchdowns than Hill. For a moment lets take away the offensive lines and examine yards after contact which is a pretty objective stat and indicative of how easily a rb goes down after contact. Anderson #2 in the big 12 at 3.85 and Hill is 4th at 3.19. Considering that the #1 rb in this stat also plays for OU, I would say they may have the deadliest tandem of rbs, but the stillwater tandem is pretty salty themselves.

But for sure i would be open to hearing your objective reasoning or stats to show how he's easily the best back in the conference, maybe you can change my mind. it's happened before.

I watched the Montgomery kid from ISU live and in person. He was definitely a great player...and I wouldn't trade Hill for him. Hill and King will be fun to watch this year.
Dude is a stud. He's #3 in the big 12 in yards after contact. But I'd take Hill over him too.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City

I think all 3 are great running backs. Rodney Anderson, Justice Hill, and Montgomery are all big-time. I try to be honest with myself. Gundy has won 10 games or more 6 of the last 7 years. That's big-time football and I love it!

What I'm excited about is OSU 's offensive line is going to get back to 2010 to 2013 levels which is big for the football program. Rudolph, I believe played behind one solid oline. This past year. Other years it was below average. That is changing now with Josh Henson.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Andersen ran behind what was considered the best offensive line in college football last year...and with a shifty QB...both of those play a huge roll in ypc...certainly Andersons a good back, but I think Hill is better especially after he gets out of the line.

Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
Mayfield didnt always have the best Oline in the country. In 2015 it was patchwork, and not very good, it took a couple years for those guy to mature into who they were in 2017. And they were still a playoff team in 2015. I think after 3 seasons the Mayfield vs Rudolph debate is over, at least in terms of who was better up to this point. We can get granular in the metrics or any other number of measureables. Lots of NFL teams did that too and well, they liked what they saw after the evaluations. And much of his reputation was earned outside the pocket when protection breaks down or someone is running after him so you cant just say his oline made Mayfield great. There is only one reason why rudolph passed for more yards; 88 more pass attempts. Anyway, now they are both NFLers and the slate is clean and we can have a whole new set of arguing who is better.

There is no way Hill is "easily" the best back, the stats alone belie that statement. I have no issue if you think he's the best, but to insinuate the separation isnt even close so that Hill is "easily" better is just not objective. you can use the oline excuse all day long but that's just an excuse, all we have is what actually happened on the field, not what you think would happen if they had better linemen. I'm not sure what objective measure you use to determine he is easily better, so far all you've cited is that OU had a better Oline, which doesnt make Anderson worse. Anderson outplayed Hill against almost all common opponents in games he started. Including against the best D in the big 12. In fact his best games of the year were against the best defenses he faced in tcu and uga. against tcu , 290 total yards. his next best game was a 200 yard rushing effort vs the #6 D in the country in uga. If you gave Anderson an extra 80 carries, he would absolutely have more yards and touchdowns than Hill. For a moment lets take away the offensive lines and examine yards after contact which is a pretty objective stat and indicative of how easily a rb goes down after contact. Anderson #2 in the big 12 at 3.85 and Hill is 4th at 3.19. Considering that the #1 rb in this stat also plays for OU, I would say they may have the deadliest tandem of rbs, but the stillwater tandem is pretty salty themselves.

But for sure i would be open to hearing your objective reasoning or stats to show how he's easily the best back in the conference, maybe you can change my mind. it's happened before.

Dude is a stud. He's #3 in the big 12 in yards after contact. But I'd take Hill over him too.
Alright I’ll take a crack at it.

1. You’re absolutely right about the “easily” part of the “best back in the big 12” statement. Anderson is a phenomenal RB. Guys gonna get time in the nfl. He’s a top 10 back in the country. I think he’s better than Perine when you factor in his receiving ability and flat line speed. He’s not better than Hill though. Anderson is a strong, fast, straight line runner who happens to also be a top notch receiver. He’s a better receiver than Hill, no question. Great fit for OU. On the other hand, Hill is smaller, more explosive, shifty back who is also deceptively strong. His acceleration is some of the best I’ve ever seen. His 40 time is probably 4.4ish, but the guy’s 10 yard speed is incredible. Just look what he did for our offense in 2016. We had an NFL back in Chris Carson who struggled to get going behind our Oline, and then BOOM! Justice Hill doubles our rushing stats.

2. Saying we use the offensive line differences is an excuse is silly, because it’s legitimately an enormous freaking factor. The reason you say your line has been spotty is because of the number of sacks given up by them in 2015. However, the OU line has consistently been one of the best run blocking groups in the country for years. Oklahoma state’s has... not been as successful. We were probably the worst line in the country in 2014. We figured it out a bit late in the season, but just watch the Texas game. Since then we’ve picked it up a lot with OL coaching but have been severely limited with our overall talent level. We are a zone blocking team for a reason, and we leave it up to our running backs to find a crease. OU’s line pummeled people. Ohio State, Georgia... they consistently drive their man into the linebackers which makes it a hell of a lot easier for a RB to get to the third level.

3. We both know Georgia having the 6th best defense in the country is an inflated stat. If they played big 12 offenses instead of SEC east offenses they’d be nowhere near 6. Anderson’s game against them was a thing of beauty nonetheless.

4. OU’s playcalling far outclasses OSU’s. Find anyone who disagrees even a little bit, I dare you. Something Lincoln Riley’s offenses do better than anyone is find something the defense can’t stop and run the living daylights out of it. RB wheel route for example, RPO pop pass to tre flowers for another. Yursich is downright unimaginative when it comes to getting the ball to our best players in space. I would kill to see Justice Hill catch a wheel route on the sideline.

5. Here’s the main statistical point. Justice is more consistent. Hill had one 200 yard game, and seven 100 yard games. Anderson had one 200 yard game and five 100 yard games. Take away each of their best 5 games, Anderson averaged 4.37 yards with 363 total yards. Hill averaged 4.75 yards with 689 yards. You might say Hill had more yards and a better average because he had more touches, but you could just as easily say Anderson came on so hot late in the year because he was fresh from only having 34 carries through the first five games.

In short, just go back and watch bedlam. Baker was the best player on the field. The second best was Justice Hill. I remember thinking that if we traded running backs we would have lost by five touchdowns. Is Hill a better back? Yes. By an enormous margin? No. This year will be a great indicator as both guys have a new QB to work with and will have a chance at being the feature player on their respective teams. I expect hill to have near 2000 yards, and Anderson to replicate last years numbers and possibly regress. Time will tell.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I think all 3 are great running backs. Rodney Anderson, Justice Hill, and Montgomery are all big-time. I try to be honest with myself. Gundy has won 10 games or more 6 of the last 7 years. That's big-time football and I love it!

What I'm excited about is OSU 's offensive line is going to get back to 2010 to 2013 levels which is big for the football program. Rudolph, I believe played behind one solid oline. This past year. Other years it was below average. That is changing now with Josh Henson.
Yes its fun to see all the talent being on the field and entertaining us. It's nice to see some of the best talent in the country right here in OK. It no fun playing behind a bad line, OU is no stranger to that , it sucks. It's definitely a team game.

Alright I’ll take a crack at it.

1. You’re absolutely right about the “easily” part of the “best back in the big 12” statement. Anderson is a phenomenal RB. Guys gonna get time in the nfl. He’s a top 10 back in the country. I think he’s better than Perine when you factor in his receiving ability and flat line speed. He’s not better than Hill though. Anderson is a strong, fast, straight line runner who happens to also be a top notch receiver. He’s a better receiver than Hill, no question. Great fit for OU. On the other hand, Hill is smaller, more explosive, shifty back who is also deceptively strong. His acceleration is some of the best I’ve ever seen. His 40 time is probably 4.4ish, but the guy’s 10 yard speed is incredible. Just look what he did for our offense in 2016. We had an NFL back in Chris Carson who struggled to get going behind our Oline, and then BOOM! Justice Hill doubles our rushing stats.
He might be overall better than Perine but not sure how you are so sure he is not better than Hill though. How is Hill more explosive? Like is there statistic where he excels that lead you to this? i.e. 20 yard runs, 100 yard games, yards after contact? Anderson was #2 in the big 12 last year in yards after contact, and Hill was 4th. I'd say the guy who goes further after being hit is possibly more explosive. But lets get granular because this is supposed to be more than opinion vs opinion. Hill 299 snaps, 5.5 yards per touch. Anderson 205 plays 7.0 yards per touch. Anderson has 18 td to Hill's 16 td, despite 94 less touches. Against just big 12 competition- Hill 5.4 yards per touch and Anderson 7.2 yards per touch. Hill does have a slight edge in overall total yards, but that is simply due to 94 extra touches. give those touches to Anderson and the stats wouldn't even be close given the discrepancy in their per touch numbers. But perhaps you have a different measure on explosiveness. Not sure what Anderson's 40 time is but he was a track star in high school and i heard he runs in the 4.4 range. Impressive if you consider how much bigger he is than Hill.

2. Saying we use the offensive line differences is an excuse is silly, because it’s legitimately an enormous freaking factor. The reason you say your line has been spotty is because of the number of sacks given up by them in 2015. However, the OU line has consistently been one of the best run blocking groups in the country for years. Oklahoma state’s has... not been as successful. We were probably the worst line in the country in 2014. We figured it out a bit late in the season, but just watch the Texas game. Since then we’ve picked it up a lot with OL coaching but have been severely limited with our overall talent level. We are a zone blocking team for a reason, and we leave it up to our running backs to find a crease. OU’s line pummeled people. Ohio State, Georgia... they consistently drive their man into the linebackers which makes it a hell of a lot easier for a RB to get to the third level.
Sure its a factor, but it's not 'the' factor. look how well both your top two rbs were last year , they both had good games and Hill was very consistent. the line wasnt a huge factor in him not having himself a damn fine season. maybe he would have been better behind OU's line, MAYBE, we can only make assumptions. maybe he wouldnt have been as good of a fit and not saw as many snaps. All we can do is speculate here which to me is why it's not a great argument here. All we have is what we know happened, not what we think would have happened. Ou's line was spotty in 15, i watched every snap that season. the guys who were studs in 17 were inexperienced freshmen in 15. They were much better in 17 than they were in 15 and sacks given up was just one part of it.

3. We both know Georgia having the 6th best defense in the country is an inflated stat. If they played big 12 offenses instead of SEC east offenses they’d be nowhere near 6. Anderson’s game against them was a thing of beauty nonetheless.
Inflated or not, it was the fastest most athletic defense OU saw all season and it showed.

4. OU’s playcalling far outclasses OSU’s. Find anyone who disagrees even a little bit, I dare you. Something Lincoln Riley’s offenses do better than anyone is find something the defense can’t stop and run the living daylights out of it. RB wheel route for example, RPO pop pass to tre flowers for another. Yursich is downright unimaginative when it comes to getting the ball to our best players in space. I would kill to see Justice Hill catch a wheel route on the sideline.
Yes it will be very nice having Riley designing the offense for the next couple decades I hope. Even nfl teams are picking his brain. I have been wondering why MY is still around.

5. Here’s the main statistical point. Justice is more consistent. Hill had one 200 yard game, and seven 100 yard games. Anderson had one 200 yard game and five 100 yard games. Take away each of their best 5 games, Anderson averaged 4.37 yards with 363 total yards. Hill averaged 4.75 yards with 689 yards. You might say Hill had more yards and a better average because he had more touches, but you could just as easily say Anderson came on so hot late in the year because he was fresh from only having 34 carries through the first five games.
Finally, something not opinionated i can sink my teeth into. More consistent? Let's examine that.

8 of Hill's 13 starts he crossed 100 yards rushing. 62% of his starts resulted in 100 yd rush game
6 of Anderson's 8 starts he crossed 100 yards rushing. 75% of his starts resulted in 100 yd rush game

Total yards per game (when starting)
Hill - 118 1.2 touchdowns per game
Anderson - 166 - 2 touchdowns per game

Hill has scored in 10 of 13 starts.
Anderson has scored in 7 of 8 starts.

And Hill is "just more consistent" ? Can you base this argument on anything other than simply removing their 5 best games? Cause when you take 5 games from Anderson, he is down to three starts, and if you take 5 games from Hill he still has 8 starts of stats to work with. So of course he'd have more yards.

In short, just go back and watch bedlam. Baker was the best player on the field. The second best was Justice Hill. I remember thinking that if we traded running backs we would have lost by five touchdowns. Is Hill a better back? Yes. By an enormous margin? No. This year will be a great indicator as both guys have a new QB to work with and will have a chance at being the feature player on their respective teams. I expect hill to have near 2000 yards, and Anderson to replicate last years numbers and possibly regress. Time will tell.
Yep Hill had an incredible bedlam, OU had no answer for his antics. But that one game shouldnt be standing out in your mind as to why one guy is better than the other. You think Hill would have rushed for 200 yards against the likes of Georgia?

Ou has too much talent this year for any one back to rush for 2000 yards. Too many other good skill players on the roster. I think we're more likely to see a couple 1000 yard backs a la Mixon/Perine of '16.

Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
Yes its fun to see all the talent being on the field and entertaining us. It's nice to see some of the best talent in the country right here in OK. It no fun playing behind a bad line, OU is no stranger to that , it sucks. It's definitely a team game.

He might be overall better than Perine but not sure how you are so sure he is not better than Hill though. How is Hill more explosive? Like is there statistic where he excels that lead you to this? i.e. 20 yard runs, 100 yard games, yards after contact? Anderson was #2 in the big 12 last year in yards after contact, and Hill was 4th. I'd say the guy who goes further after being hit is possibly more explosive. But lets get granular because this is supposed to be more than opinion vs opinion. Hill 299 snaps, 5.5 yards per touch. Anderson 205 plays 7.0 yards per touch. Anderson has 18 td to Hill's 16 td, despite 94 less touches. Against just big 12 competition- Hill 5.4 yards per touch and Anderson 7.2 yards per touch. Hill does have a slight edge in overall total yards, but that is simply due to 94 extra touches. give those touches to Anderson and the stats wouldn't even be close given the discrepancy in their per touch numbers. But perhaps you have a different measure on explosiveness. Not sure what Anderson's 40 time is but he was a track star in high school and i heard he runs in the 4.4 range. Impressive if you consider how much bigger he is than Hill.

Sure its a factor, but it's not 'the' factor. look how well both your top two rbs were last year , they both had good games and Hill was very consistent. the line wasnt a huge factor in him not having himself a damn fine season. maybe he would have been better behind OU's line, MAYBE, we can only make assumptions. maybe he wouldnt have been as good of a fit and not saw as many snaps. All we can do is speculate here which to me is why it's not a great argument here. All we have is what we know happened, not what we think would have happened. Ou's line was spotty in 15, i watched every snap that season. the guys who were studs in 17 were inexperienced freshmen in 15. They were much better in 17 than they were in 15 and sacks given up was just one part of it.

Inflated or not, it was the fastest most athletic defense OU saw all season and it showed.

Yes it will be very nice having Riley designing the offense for the next couple decades I hope. Even nfl teams are picking his brain. I have been wondering why MY is still around.

Finally, something not opinionated i can sink my teeth into. More consistent? Let's examine that.

8 of Hill's 13 starts he crossed 100 yards rushing. 62% of his starts resulted in 100 yd rush game
6 of Anderson's 8 starts he crossed 100 yards rushing. 75% of his starts resulted in 100 yd rush game

Total yards per game (when starting)
Hill - 118 1.2 touchdowns per game
Anderson - 166 - 2 touchdowns per game

Hill has scored in 10 of 13 starts.
Anderson has scored in 7 of 8 starts.

And Hill is "just more consistent" ? Can you base this argument on anything other than simply removing their 5 best games? Cause when you take 5 games from Anderson, he is down to three starts, and if you take 5 games from Hill he still has 8 starts of stats to work with. So of course he'd have more yards.

Yep Hill had an incredible bedlam, OU had no answer for his antics. But that one game shouldnt be standing out in your mind as to why one guy is better than the other. You think Hill would have rushed for 200 yards against the likes of Georgia?

Ou has too much talent this year for any one back to rush for 2000 yards. Too many other good skill players on the roster. I think we're more likely to see a couple 1000 yard backs a la Mixon/Perine of '16.
If YAC is so important Trey Sermon is the best back in the Big 12, and Dion Lewis is the best back in the NFL.
If YPC is so important, then Justice Hill is the 6th best back in the Big 12, and Khalil Tate is the best back in FBS.

In Anderson’s non starts, OU averaged 5.54 ypc
In his 9 starts OU averaged 5.6 ypc

They were running the ball just fine without him, which again speaks to the quality of your line. Anderson is a great player, just not where Hill is. Compare that to what Hill did for us in 2016.

Hill’s 3 non starts, we averaged 2.9 ypc
10 starts, we averaged 4.9 ypc

He’s a team changing player.

But still we’re speculating. We’re comparing two different players from 2 different teams. Next year will be a great indicator who is the better player because they’ll each be the bell cow for a whole season.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
The question is would Anderson produce the same numbers starting at OSU. I have a hard time believing that Anderson numbers would be the same behind OSUs offensive line. The thing that makes Hill dangerous is that he has some of the best juking skills I have ever seen. He is like Darren Sproles but better at getting yards in the open field. Anderson is a great back and reminds me of demarco Murray. Both backs have their strengths but I think Hill could produce great numbers at any school. That said, I think Anderson is going to the NFL and would be a good back on most teams.