1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

relocation to Edmond/OKC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cowboyZ, Aug 1, 2012.

1. cowboyZ

cowboyZ Cowboy

hey guys! a few weeks ago, I sent out a prayer request about a job in TN. I was blessed and received the job. I love it here, but some of my responsibilites have changed due to politics. I just happened to be called out for an interview with the City of Edmond for a position and am going to explore that. What are peoples takes on OKC/Edmond? I live in Nashville, TN right now and really like it here, but am open to relocation especially since it is a signifigant boost in pay. I am 27 year old single guy. I love the outdoors a lot and love to be around people. I love sports and would love to find a home church. Is Edmond a young area at all or more family oriented? Or can anyone point me to any younger areas of town in OKC? I'm moved around a lot since 2007 graduation and am looking to finally settle down, who knows maybe with a beautiful Oklahoma girl. One of the reasons I'm open to moving to OKC is that the people are very welcoming and friendly.
  2. okstate87

okstate87 Wrangler

I have lived in Edmond for the majority of my life, and its definitely family oriented. There are just starting to be places (cafe evoke) for younger folks like ourselves there. That being said, thats not a bad thing, there's low crime, high education, and its quiet, so that might be something to consider when you find that Oklahoma girl.

I'd suggest midtown, deep deuce, plaza, or paseo. It really depends on your income, which i'm obviously not going to ask. But these are all fairly cheap areas to live in. I have personal affections for paseo and midtown.
  3. Kabob1865

A/V Subscriber Kabob1865 Competitive Tailgater

^^^^This, but I would also suggest anywhere along western north of 36th street to Chesapeake. (Be careful going to far west of western though) There are several churches of all denominations, Grocery stores and the mall are close, Edmond is a 15 minute commute because you are close to the highways and there's a great bar scene for people in their late 20's.
  4. cowboyZ

cowboyZ Cowboy

Thank you Kabob. Do you know the name of any apartment complexes in the area you were referring to? It doesn't hurt to look.
  5. Kabob1865

A/V Subscriber Kabob1865 Competitive Tailgater

Hop on Craigslist and search for "Crown Heights, Edgemere, Douglas, Paseo, Heritage Hills or midtown in the Housing section. These areas are older so there aren't any big new commercial apartment complexes unless you live in Bricktown or Downtown, but there are a lot of Quadplexes, Duplexes and little houses. Also, you want to make sure the street address is NW OKC.
  6. kaboy42

kaboy42 Cowboy

Some advice...

I'd be leery of getting too far up on the northwest side of OKC. I just recently moved from there to Edmond actually. We lived up there for 6+ years and the crime just got worse and worse with each passing year. After my truck had been broken into for the third time in less than 18 months, we said "screw this" and stepped up our search to get the hell outta OKC.

The areas some are suggesting in here are pretty cool, hip, cultural areas of OKC though. Rent will be astronomical around the Bricktown area, not sure about Paseo district.

Edmond is a good choice as well. With Edmond being home to UCO there might be some decently priced apartments around that area. I’m more in tune with what’s going on with housing prices and not rentals though.

FYI, I think Edmond may very well be the San Antonio of Oklahoma… The beautiful females are just THICK. A trip to SuperTarget (or even Lowe’s) requires a dark set of sunglasses and a Joe’s Crab Shack bib to catch the drool.
    cowboyZ likes this.
  7. OP150

A/V Subscriber OP150 Mmm Donut

Another thing to think about, I'm not sure if the position you applied for comes with a "company car," but I'd stick close to the city limits if it does so you can utilize it. We have a five mile "bubble" around the city allowing us to take the car home. Those who live outside do the usual commute in and burn much more cash in gas and auto expenses than the rest of us. How it works on the other side in that department I am unsure, but I would keep it as a consideration.
  8. Jostate

Jostate Cowboy

I lived in Lakeview Towers (63rd and May) in my single guy days and loved it. I think it's gone down hill since then but I loved the view from my 13th floor balcony.
  9. cowboyZ

cowboyZ Cowboy

I did receive a conditional offer pending a background check verification. Since I'm employed with a fire department now, I know everything will turn up clean. I'm very encouraged to hear about Edmond being stacked with some beautiful females. I always thought that the girls in Oklahoma were best I've ever seen and most, if not all were very nice girls.

I am very excited to move to the area and hopefully meet quite a few new people. I'm thinking about living near the quail springs mall area. Any thoughts?
  10. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Cowboy

Nice area with plenty of restaurants/clubs/golf/about anything you would want. Kilpatrick Turnpike right there, I-35 close, less than an hour to Stillwater. It's all good.
  11. Orangendn

Orangendn Cowboy

I would not suggest the plaza. That area is very, very seedy. This is true even though the area has been cleaned up in recent years. There are still lots of drugs and hookers in the area, particularly a few blocks south of Blackwelder.

I could not recommend any housing areas, apartment or duplex most anywhere along N 10th throughout OKC. Of course there are worse areas than others but in general that whole street is a place to avoid living (with the exception of 10th west of Council, just north of downtown and near the OU medical center area).

Nice looking area for the most part I do know many of the apartment complexes just south of Quail Springs have a big crime problem. In particular I am talking about car theft, car break-ins and apartments being robbed. There are many newer apartment complexes on the north side of Kilpatrick. I do not know enough about these areas to comment.
  12. LandscapePoke

LandscapePoke Cowboy

13. Lafferty Daniel

A/V Subscriber Lafferty Daniel Cowboy

The Penn/Memorial intersection east of Quail Springs is the worst/busiest intersection in the city. I always try to avoid it. You're better off on the west side of Quail Springs so you don't have to deal with it everytime you leave your apartment.

I would not recommend Edmond if you are single and in your 20's. Although it is nice and has low crime, Edmond is a family suburb. Not really made for a young single guy. And most of the hot women you'll see are married soccer moms.

Someone in the thread earlier said the more NW you go the worse it gets. I think this is the exact opposite. The more NW you go in OKC, the nicer it gets (generally). I think that person just had some bad luck/neighbors.

If you're looking for apartments, Lincoln apartments are where a bunch of young people live. Probably the crowd you're looking for if you're wanting to meet people. The pool there is always packed. I'm not a big fan of apartments though. If you're looking for a house to rent, there are always homes to rent in the Village/Nichols Hills area.
  14. POPOKE

POPOKE Cowboy

I've lived in Sycamore Farms. http://www.sycamorefarmsapartments.com/home.asp

Also lived in Stoneliegh apartments and liked them just as well, but they weren't quite as nice as Sycamore Farms. http://www.stoneleighmay.com/

They're both right next to Quail Springs Mall. They're gated complexes with nice pools, and options for garage units. The scenery at the pools was also very very nice. There's a few good bars and restaurants that are in that area. Traffic does get pretty bad, especially during the holiday season. But you're so close to the highway, so it's managable.

If I was in my 20's and single though, I'd spend a little more money and live downtown in either Deep Deuce, Level, or the Legacy apartments. I have some co-workers who live in these and they can't say a bad about any of them. They can walk to tons of bars, the complexes have sponsored activities to meet other people, and the rent isn't too crazy (I think it's around $850 for a one bedroom).
  15. OP150

That one square mile south of Quail is a crap hole but it certainly isn't the top of the chart. Springlake stays much busier south of and around the Capitol complex and the west side of downtown never slows down.

I live just to the east of Sycamore Farms and it isn't too bad up here. That said, my next house will be north of Waterloo or out in NE Edmond. I looked into Sycamore Famrms when I moved from Stillwater but ended up at The Villas at Stonebridge. Avoid that place, overpriced.
  16. cowboyZ

cowboyZ Cowboy

anyone know anything about stoneleigh on may, fountain lakes, or windrush apartments?
  17. POPOKE

POPOKE Cowboy

My earlier post stated I lived there and they were nice. It's a gated community, ok workout room, nice pool, and they usually bake fresh cookies everyday in the lobby. Management was cool, but it was about 5 years ago since I lived there, so take everything I've said with a grain of salt.
  18. pokelahoman

A/V Subscriber pokelahoman Keeper of the Cursive Script

I knew someone who lived at Windrush for a little while and they seemed to like it. I drive by on my way to work everyday and it looks like a nice little complex. Good location on 15th and just off broadway if you're wanting to live in Edmond but still have quick access to OKC. I'm probably 2 miles west and it's about a 5-10 minute drive to Quail Springs and 10-20 to downtown OKC. I would avoid Fountain Lakes. It's the twin sister to the Villas, which I lived in before and second H3TV 's opinion. They are just overpriced and cheaply built, nothing special at all.
  19. OP150

Just to simplify things... here is an avoid list for Edmond.

1. Rolling Greens (Duh)
    2. Coffee Creek Apartments (AKA Chapel Ridge) (Another Duh)
    3. Sunset Ridge
    4. Spring Creek
    5. Oxford Oaks*
    6. the Kickingbird Complexes*
    7. Bryant Place
    8. The Gateway to Edmond (not in Edmond but close enough and violence issues)

9. Villas at Stonebridge (quiet for the most part but too expensive for what you get)
    10. Fountain Lakes (just to the south of the Villas and same management, only cheaper because they are in OKC and not Edmond)

*more related to college activites, but also a lot of narcotics issues.

Wind Rush goes in cycles, and appears to be rather calm at the moment. Just make sure you keep the door locked on both your apartment and car.

As far as newer complexes that are quiet, check into the complex located at 401 W. Covell. No real issues up there that I have heard. There is a new one going up at 2nd and Vista however I am sure that will quickly fall into the same issues as Kickingbird row, Oxford Oaks, Legacy Woods, etc. as far as loud parties, drunken kids running amuck, and dope given it's proximity to the college.
  20. OP150

Stoneleigh is probably the best choice of those three, went a little more in depth above.