1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Replacing Weeden

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by PokeLady211, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hokey_Pokey

Hokey_Pokey Cowboy

A redshirt and Walsh going pro early would give him two years.

I bet he wins the spot early though.
    Jonathangpark likes this.
  2. SlurrrPup

SlurrrPup Cowboy

If you re-read my post on the same page. I have seen him live in person at games. While it is only High School, it is Texas Big Boy High School. Not small division, small state. This is also Walsh's 2nd spring football at OSU.

I was impressed with what little we saw of Chelf last year. However it is still unclear what pressure will do to him.

I think we are in a great position and won't have to throw away the playbook if our starter gets hurt this year.

I also look for us to be more balanced with the running game this year. Similar to our 50-50 split on yardage a few years back. Randle, Smith, and Sims.
  3. PokeLady211

PokeLady211 Wrangler

I agree with you although I havent seen him play in person.

I think that even though Walsh didnt take a snap last year he studied under one of the best QB's that has ever come through OSU IMO. Chelf has talent and there is no doubt about that but like I mentioned earlier I think Walsh has that "extra" something. Hopefully he has the leadership qualites bc if he does I think the job is his. He has spent a year with the team they all know him by now...so it will be interesting.
  4. Jonathangpark

Jonathangpark Wrangler

Are you claiming that you know that J.W. is going to win the job or are you saying that I'm claiming that J.W. is going to win the job?

I'm simply making a statement on the throwing capabilities of the two players. The ability to throw a ball alone doesn't make a first string QB. There is much more that goes into it than that. So if you are aiming at the thought that I'm claiming the starting job for either one on this characteristic, then you would be wrong.
  5. JavaGuy

JavaGuy Cowboy

Some quotes from Tracey Moore regarding Walsh...

“I wasn’t too impressed when he first got on campus,” said Moore. “As the time has gone by over the last year, he’s starting to develop that cannon. He’s definitely got the ‘Weeden arm’ starting to come in.”

“J.W. definitely has that leadership ability you want in a quarterback,” he said. “He has the confidence and is capable of taking an offense and running it better than anyone.”

“Especially with his competitiveness and the type of athlete he is. He always finishes first in everything. I think he’d make a pretty good quarterback for us.”

http://www.ocolly.com/sports/column-walsh-ready-to-give-chelf-a-fight-at-qb-1.2817818#.T2C7mvX4l55
    PokeLady211 likes this.
  6. PokeLady211

PokeLady211 Wrangler

7. JavaGuy

JavaGuy Cowboy

accidentally hit the reply before I had a chance to comment ....Gundy said his number one criterion in a QB is leadership. Well based on what Moore says and the quotes from Monken we can safely assume JW is a leader. He has all the intangibles. And for those whom are worried about his arm ...Moore seems to think he has a pretty good arm.
    Jonathangpark likes this.
  8. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Cowboy

I think the arm concerns are a bit overblown with Walsh. Looking at high school film. He doesn't have the cannon that Weeden has but he seems to be able to throw the ball like Zac. Zac had a good arm, enough arm strength. I think Zac as a junior or senior had a better arm than J.W. had when he got here but that's to be expected. Walsh's arm will get a bit better but was just probably ok for D1 level when he got here.
    Jonathangpark and JavaGuy like this.
  9. Anaranjado

A/V Subscriber Anaranjado Shaolin Style

which one can spin it? he should start.
    Birry likes this.
  10. JavaGuy

JavaGuy Cowboy

Yeah I agree with you. Some people on here saw him struggling to throw in the Depth Chart episode and equated that to having a weak arm LOL. That was just an issue of fatigue NOT arm strength. His Scout recruiting profile says that he has a strong arm and based on a few HS games that I saw and the 7 on 7 tournament I definitely think he has a very good arm. We've all been spoiled by Weeden's arm and a comparison to that type of arm is unfair. Heck I'd say half the QBs in the NFL don't have arms as strong as Weeden's.
    RutherfordFan likes this.
  11. OrangeAggie

A/V Subscriber OrangeAggie Forgive me if I don't shake hands.

Settle down dude. I was just making the observation that if J.W. is our QB, that Lunt would likely not see the field until he was a senior. Walsh is just a RS freshman.

Defensive much?
    Birry likes this.
  12. wagonburner

wagonburner Wrangler

Let's not forget what Herschel Sims said during his committment. "Me and JW Walsh on the same team? Two words. National Championship."
    PokeLady211 likes this.
  13. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Cowboy

To be honest, I already have Walsh penciled in as the starter. But I'll continue to read these threads to view the interesting comments.
  14. JavaGuy

JavaGuy Cowboy

I'm right there with you ....Walsh has the potential to be our next Gundy.
  15. Jonathangpark

Jonathangpark Wrangler

Not defensive at all, actually. Just trying to find out what you meant by that. You've made the error of interpreting emotion over the internet. Take a few deep breaths (and maybe a swig of beer) and read my comment again. That's the intensity level I was putting into it.
  16. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Cowboy

Yeah, to be honest, when I saw last seasons spring game and I saw that Walsh was already on the level that Chelf was on. I pretty much penciled him in. Now you hear the talking behind the doors. Monken saying things like if Chelf isn't head over heals ahead of the others then they are going to move on. I mean lets be honest, the only QB that could have that much separation from the others is Weeden. Is Chelf really that good to where he can create that kind of separation within 2 weeks? My answer is if he is, then there wouldn't even be a QB competition and Gundy would have announced him as our starter a long time ago, as he did with Weeden 2 years ago before even heading into Spring. I really don't even think its a debate to the coaches and team. It is only to the fan base only because Gundy hasn't come out and said it yet.
    PokeLady211 likes this.
  17. Jonathangpark

Jonathangpark Wrangler

I think I'm just going to love watching it all go down. When is the last time we have had this much talent at any position battling for the starting spot?
  18. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Cowboy

I agree. I think if Chelf was in the 90s he would be our Qb no doubt. Its just that the other guys are so dang good. JW and Lunt also came with the hype. You can't sit big recruits and expect to keep bringing in other big recruits. That is just not how things work. especially if the big recruit is equal or slightly better than the lower recruit. I still think Chelf is darn good though. He's just in a tough situation.
  19. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

I personally don't think anyone is "penciled" in yet, but reading between the lines from all the comments, its obvious that as good and experienced Chelf is, they clearly looking to get someone else besides him as the starter, if they can, aka they are waiting for JW Walsh to show clear improvements and show better command of the offense and also at the same time wait and see how Lunt does..

Nothing against Chelf, but in terms of pure talent, either in terms of arm strength/accuracy/intangibles & mobility , or both, he doesn't possess anything would make him rise a little a bit above the others as the starter QB. I'm not saying that this is always the case- that raw talent should always win out over experience/intangibles, but clearly if Chelf's experience and intangibles were that much better to ATLEAST warrant him more trust , then he would already been named the starter on paper.

IMHO
  20. JavaGuy

JavaGuy Cowboy

Yup what's happening here is Chelf is being recruited over. It's not that Chelf is bad it's just that we have brought in other QBs whom are more talented with a much higher ceiling. Like osufireman and others have said, ideally you want a veteran player to step up and win the job but when the veteran player is equal with a younger player (with more potential) you have to go with the younger, more talented guy.
    p33man likes this.