1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Roman Nose State Park

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by JoshOSU420, Apr 25, 2012.

1. JoshOSU420

JoshOSU420 Athletic Supporter A/V Subscriber

Heading over to Roman Nose for the first time this weekend with the fam for some tent camping. Any Roman Nose camping champions out there have any tips, tricks, inside info I may need to know before heading out? Best camping spots, if I don't get there until Friday 6pm will there be anything left, etc...

2. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Federal Marshal

They have one tough little golf course. My only comment is watch out for rattlesnakes, they are abundant there. I was told before our last golf outing that if you hit a ball in the rough, don't even look for it...just drop another ball and move on. Watonga has a cheese factory that might be of interest.

3. Wayne C

Wayne C Deputy

Most camping spots are ok. Always heard that rumor about snakes on the golf course but have never seen any anywhere around the park and I went there for many, many years. Much to explore there for the kids. Follow the spring to it's origin. There are several springs that contribute. Water is very cold! The racoons will always be around in the evenings and at night so don't leave anything out they can rip into. Still stocking trout? Don't know but they are fun to catch and tasty as well. Stop at the lodge first for all the info you need. Also took my kids horseback riding there years ago. Nice trail if they still have it.

4. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Federal Marshal

I've played the course half a dozen times in the last 10 years and I've never seen a rattler yet but I'm gonna take their word for it...I've seen what rattler venom can do to a human limb. Not pretty.

5. Wayne C

Wayne C Deputy

Agreed! Just didn't want the family to think the place was snake infested.:)

6. okstate0303

okstate0303 Sheriff

I ride the trails often on my bike and I've seen snakes out on the trail, so they do exist. The fishing is good also.

7. Donnyboy

Donnyboy Speaks the language A/V Subscriber

Roman Nose is an awesome place..... I have heard there is a rattler under every rock every time I've gone and I've never seen one.

8. Corycowboy

Corycowboy Cowboy

Spent all day Monday tromping around the trails by the springs (at least 5 hours) and not a snake one.

9. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Federal Marshal

You should be fine there, my comment was only a note of something to be aware of...not a guarantee someone would be bit. Some of these posters... just because they've never seen a snake, they don't exist. :facepalm: Jes, whatever.

10. JoshOSU420

JoshOSU420 Athletic Supporter A/V Subscriber

We hiked a ton of the trails with the kids and dog, had alot of fun. Trails are well traveled and pretty nice to walk on. Daughter fell into a cactus which made for an interesting few minutes; but, it wasn't a catastrophe. Once we got the thorns pulled out the pain went away in a few minutes. Didnt have any problem with mosquitoes or ticks which surprised me.

11. Corycowboy

Corycowboy Cowboy

I think everyone's comment was to dispell the myth (mine certainly was). It's like every conversation about Roman Nose goes likes this: " Yeah, its a nice place but be careful there is a rattler under every rock."
    Oh and I have seen plenty of snakes in my lifetime and I know that just because I didnt see one on Monday doesnt mean they werent there.:facepalm: whatever.

12. stillwaterpoke

stillwaterpoke Cowboy

Really like the golf course. Haven't been in a few years. Cheap coors and always a cute girl working there seemed like. Think the lodge has been updated. I want to go back. Oh yeah, I looked for golf balls in the sh@* never saw a snake...

13. TommyCaller

TommyCaller Greenhorn

My wife and I went there and stayed over at the lodge. Very nice. We played golf the first evening and did not see a snake. The next morning on the 14th hole we ran into a pretty good sized and very pi$$ed diamond back rattler. My wife did not like that very well and he was dispatched with the Ping mallet style putter. I have played there 4 or 5 times since and have not seen another snake. A few tarantulas but no snakes. Once you go there, you will most likely go back. We have stayed in the cabins and the lodge but have never camped outside.