1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Romney Drops Out of Race

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by cowboys4ever, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Darth Sensitive

A/V Subscriber Darth Sensitive Official OP Referee

I wouldn't. A Pastafarian Believer in the Invisible Pink Unicorn / agnostic-ish Catholic seems a bit irreverent and wishy washy to me.
  2. steross

A/V Subscriber steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop

Yea, nothing more unbiased about its beliefs than a church. No bias there at all.:rolleyes: And you had the nerve to come on hear and call me uneducated. I may not know much about certain religious details, but I know enough to know I am not going to get an unbiased assessment of something from the promotional material that they put out. Thanks for all your gracious help.
  3. steross

Don't put words in my mouth.
  4. NYC Poke

A/V Subscriber NYC Poke Sir Dr. Lawyer Esquire, Lord of East Texica

:D
  5. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

On the church website would they not lay out their beliefs? I guess you can't go anywhere and find anything unbias at all...

And I didn't call you uneducated. I said it seems like many in the thread were uneducated WHEN IT CAME TO MORMONISM.

You need to get your panties out of a wad and quit freaking out.
  6. steross

Rapid fire tyeping do give the apperence of lak of edumacation.
  7. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

So, do you have any religious beliefs? I would assume you don't since you make that comment?

I'm just saying, I'm a Baptist. If Romney and Huckabee are exactly the same in their political views, I'm voting Huckabee b/c I have the same religious beliefs. Meaning in the situations that come up that aren't talked about in these debates, he is more likely to make the same decision I think would be right for this country.
  8. Darth Sensitive

You know? The whole "heaven or hell" bit?

9. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

Ok, I thought you were saying their were other beliefs than that.
  10. Darth Sensitive

Serious question. What makes you think, that one is less real or likely than the other?
  11. NYC Poke

Mormonism is pretty whacky. As others have pointed out, other religions can be pretty whacky, too. Who wouldn't want to eat a cow?

I'll admit to being made uncomfortable by the concept of Mormonism. It seems so artificial to me, probably because it is so recent. Scientology seems really out there to me, probably for the same reason.

However, whether or not a candidate is a Mormon would be of no relevancy to me in determining how I vote. I'm more interested in how effective a person could govern.
  12. apollo883

apollo883 Greenhorn

My misgivings with Gov. Romney's religion aside, I wouldn't have voted for him because I don't think his political positions can be trusted. Looking at his history, he seems to change his stance to fit the situation he's in. I would rather vote for someone that I knew would be more likely to follow through with his/her positions, even if I disagreed with a few of them, than someone that I don't know which side they will support.
  13. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit

What is the over/under of posts before this thread gets shut down? I'll go with 65.
  14. NYC Poke

Heh. I thought it was just typical doctor's handwriting. ;)
  15. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

Does religion not effect how you govern?

Religion is a huge part of people's lives. Many people live their lives by what their religious beliefs are.
  16. NYC Poke

I'll take the over.
  17. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

It has been a civil discussion... no reason to shut it down!
  18. NYC Poke

There have been effective leaders who were adherents to almost all religions, including some that no longer exist. Likewise, there have been ineffective leaders of those same persuasions. Deep down, I don't think Ronald Reagan was a particularly spiritual person, but I think he was a pretty effective leader.
  19. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit

Absolutely. People should vote according to their spiritual beliefs. Of course just because a man is spiritual doesn't necessarily mean that he is qualified.
  20. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

I think it is an issue, but it is not something that is at the top of the list.

You should never vote just b/c of a persons spiritual beliefs... but I think it will(and should) enter into the process of decision making.