1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Romney Drops Out of Race

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by cowboys4ever, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Darth Sensitive

A/V Subscriber Darth Sensitive Official OP Referee

I was raised a Catholic. And I agree with a lot of what The Church says, but I disagree with a lot too. I guess the best way to say it is that I'm spiritual, but not religious.

I think that, even if Jesus wasn't God as Man, he was right. Do unto others. Love your neighbors. Help the poor. Judge not. And along the same lines, I think most religions that follow anything close to that are right too.

To me, it's about doing good, not being a better person than another. Or saying someone is going to hell because "OMG YOU WARSHIP TEH POPE!". I think Jesus would have been friends with people who had abortions. He would gay people as much as everyone else. I think a lot of my dissatisfaction with religion stems from people who think that their way is the only correct one and push it on you. People who quote Leviticus against homosexuality, but don't follow the same dietary laws, "because Jesus made a new covenant".

And when I'm feeling rather cynical, I doubt that there is one at all. The Pastafarianism and Church of the IPU are really just things to help poke people who need to be deflated with.
  2. Rack

Rack Cowboy

Who said the world was fair? Heck, who even said it should be?

I'm not sure I'd be ok with someone who actually believes some of the more wacky stuff the "LDS" collectively believes running our country even if my core "politically" beliefs match theirs. Problem is I what a guy who believes in the one true God. It's a rocky subject and if you do your research on LDS you will figure out why most protestants don't agree with them. That's just a fact, not pretty, but a fact.
  3. NYC Poke

A/V Subscriber NYC Poke Sir Dr. Lawyer Esquire, Lord of East Texica

Absolutely. Jimmy Carter is probably the most religious president of the modern era. Regardless of how you feel about his policies, he was not an effective leader.
  4. Rack

Rack Cowboy

True dat. Good guy but not effective.
  5. lewis the pike

Banned lewis the pike Banned

I'd say GW Bush's decisons would make me believe he is a follower of Nihlism rather than the Christian Image he portrays.

and for the Record, Bill Clinton worshipped at the alter of the thong.
  6. Darth Sensitive

Hallelujah!
  7. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gem├╝tlichkeit

If HuckStar thinks he has no chance at winning, he needs to start on the reconciliation of Republican and McCain. There is no way that McCain can win the Presidency without the votes of the mainstream conservatives. You know you have a problem when all the conservative pundits say publicly that they will vote for you. With the help from Romney and Huckabee McCain should be able to pull enough votes together to defeat the Barack Clinton ticket.
  8. Darth Sensitive

I don't think you'll see an Obama - Clinton ticket if he gets the nom. A Clinton - Obama one is a bit more likely, but I think they'd both pick someone who helps shore up their weak spots, not each other.
  9. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

I can accept that answer. I disagree with lots of stuff and don't think it is right. BUt that doesn't change how I treat them. I am a Christian and know people that will treat others like crap b/c they don't believe the same. At my Church, a really conservative Baptist church, we are all understanding. Like you said, I don't think anyone can disagree with Jesus' basic teachings. But then it kills me when Christians don't actually apply that teaching just b/c of a disagreement.

I don't know if that rambling made any sense, just an "annoyance" of mine.
  10. NYC Poke

What does this have to do with Mormons?
  11. Darth Sensitive

Just a tangent off the quoted tangent!
  12. Rack

Rack Cowboy

Yes, I'm afraid that's a God that has cost us men far more than any tithe.;)

No, honey i don't mean you.:D:D
  13. steross

A/V Subscriber steross A little bit smarter than Donnyboy

Something makes me think that the LDS website will not give me the same report of their beliefs that you and Bleedaggie have. Can you not see the opposing biases?

I'll leave my panties in any wad I want to. I suggest that you quit telling me what to do. I just can't stand when I am having a reasonable discussion and someone comes in hurling insults for no reason. If you don't think that "have no clue" and "uneducated" are typically taken as insults, then I won't bother with you any more. "Many in the thread" doesn't change anything when I was the only one making the argument. Finally, YELLING at me really doesn't help.
  14. NYC Poke

"The foundation of Bokononism is that the religion, including its texts, is formed entirely of lies; however, if you believe and adhere to these lies, you will live a happy life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokononism
  15. Darth Sensitive

You're paying?

::: Psst. Dude. You aren't doing it right! :::
  16. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

You said I called you uneducated. I only said you were uneducated in Mormonism. It wasn't meant as an insult, I was just suggesting that instead making assumptions, you could go look it up.

So, I guess since you are taking such offense to my comment, you do indeed have knowledge of Mormonism and their beliefs?

I'm sorry if I offended you, but I really didn't think I was "hurling around insults".
  17. NYC Poke

From the sayings of Bokonon:

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokononism

Man, that's the story of my life.
  18. Rack

Rack Cowboy

We all pay in one way or another---we all pay... ;)
  19. bleedaggie

Staff A/V Subscriber bleedaggie Moderator

Jesus claimed to be God, so you can't really have it both ways there. Not trying to call you out or anything, but Jesus obviously thought He was God. He is either right, or wrong, but can't be "right" and not be God.

The funny thing about this is, without God being the Governor of morality, this type of belief system leads directly to trying to be a "better person than another." When you talk about "good," there has to be a standard. If it's not God, it's one of us... if it is God, and He's perfect, we're in a world of hurt.
  20. bleedaggie

Staff A/V Subscriber bleedaggie Moderator

I can see that there would be opposing biases. But I'll make you a deal...

Go out and buy the two Mormon books: "Doctrine and Covenants," and "Pearl of Great Price." The Mormons believe these two books are inspired - on the same level as the Bible.

Read them from cover to cover, and see if anything I've presented is untrue. I think you'll find that I am correctly articulating mormon doctrine... I've read both of those books several times.