Sanders best running QB since Tony Lindsey?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I'd still go with ZRob. he had nealy 1800 yards and 22 career td's on a career 4.4 average. ran for 850 yards on 6.1 ypc with 9 tds. Butttt, like someone said the sample size is too small and he definitely could become the best running qb we've had. He's got great potential.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Zach Robinson was great, no doubt. He also played on an OSU team when OSU was legitimately good. We haven't been as good all-around since Robinson's eligiblity expired. I hIave to go with Brandon W. He was absolutely outstanding. A close second would be Zach.

Regarding Sanders, I'm going to wait until his eligiblity expires before considering how well he had performed during his OSU tenure

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Zach Robinson was great, no doubt. He also played on an OSU team when OSU was legitimately good. We haven't been as good all-around since Robinson's eligiblity expired. I hIave to go with Brandon W. He was absolutely outstanding. A close second would be Zach.

Regarding Sanders, I'm going to wait until his eligiblity expires before considering how well he had performed during his OSU tenure
Wait so the 2007-2009 teams were better than the 2010-2011 teams, and Weeden was a better running QB than ZRob?

I'll have what you're having.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Really?

This is supposed to be a fun thread. Don't ruin it with your millennial smugness.
I just think it's ridiculous to skip the 5 or so run heavy QBs that OSU has had between Tony Lindsey and Spencer Sanders without insinuating that "running QB" is a substitute for "black QB."

Hell, Gundy's entire offensive philosophy was predicated on having a mobile QB until Brandon Weeden... And then as soon as Weeden was gone and Wes Lunt was injured he went right back to running QBs in Walsh and Chelf.

Ignoring Chelf, Walsh, and Robinson is saying that white QBs are not running QBs.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I just think it's ridiculous to skip the 5 or so run heavy QBs that OSU has had between Tony Lindsey and Spencer Sanders without insinuating that "running QB" is a substitute for "black QB."

Hell, Gundy's entire offensive philosophy was predicated on having a mobile QB until Brandon Weeden... And then as soon as Weeden was gone and Wes Lunt was injured he went right back to running QBs in Walsh and Chelf.

Ignoring Chelf, Walsh, and Robinson is saying that white QBs are not running QBs.

No, you're taking it to mean that.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas

Oct 30, 2007
College stats:
Tony Lindsay: 410 rushes, 1353 yards, 3.3 YPC.
Zac Robinson: 426 rushes, 1858 yards, 4.4 YPC.
Clint Chelf: 100 rushes, 501 yards, 5.0 YPC.
J.W. Walsh: 200 rushes, 1036 yards, 5.2 YPC.

You can make a strong argument that Walsh was the best running quarterback of the bunch, especially if you consider that many of his rushes late in his career were on short yardage plays where everyone knew he was going to run. It's too bad he struggled to stay healthy for so much of his career.

I agree with what several have posted. You can't determine how good Sanders is going to be after 1 game. Oregon State was next to last in the country in total & scoring defense last season. But he looks like he has the skill set to be a tremendous rusher. He may be the most agile QB that we've had since Lindsay.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
One game is too small a sample size. However, it’s a continuation of exactly how he played in HS which earned him the Gatorade Texas POY honors. In that extremely limited sample size, he appears to be the most well rounded QB we’ve ever had here. The accuracy of his throws, arm strength, speed and elusiveness and especially his ability to hit another gear on the corners should make everyone excited.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say if he plays similarly against Big 12 competition he’ll have a strong chance to be the best overall QB that OSU has ever had. That said, he could go out and lay an egg against McNeese and the Oregon State game become an anomaly. I personally think he’s the real deal but time will tell. I can say one thing for sure and that is I am 100 times more excited about our offense this year than I was last year!

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Wow, now that's really offensive to me. CTeamPoke is the one who chose to make this a "racism" discussion, not me...
I'm just confused how you could possibly forget about Zac Robinson when he was the greatest QB in school history until Brandon Weeden and Mason Rudolph.

He's also probably our next head coach.

And he was unequivocally a running quarterback... but you chose to ignore him between Lindsay and Sanders... why would that be other than "Zac was white, so he wasn't a running quarterback"?

Sep 8, 2007
No one had mentioned Donovan, so I wanted to throw this out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e9f8-E9B7E&t=25m13s

Wish there were more clips. I'd like to see that UCLA game hosted on youtube.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
One game is too small a sample size. However, it’s a continuation of exactly how he played in HS which earned him the Gatorade Texas POY honors. In that extremely limited sample size, he appears to be the most well rounded QB we’ve ever had here. The accuracy of his throws, arm strength, speed and elusiveness and especially his ability to hit another gear on the corners should make everyone excited.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say if he plays similarly against Big 12 competition he’ll have a strong chance to be the best overall QB that OSU has ever had. That said, he could go out and lay an egg against McNeese and the Oregon State game become an anomaly. I personally think he’s the real deal but time will tell. I can say one thing for sure and that is I am 100 times more excited about our offense this year than I was last year!
Totally agree with this. Also, he seemed incredibly poised for a freshman QB. Like you said, this is all based off one game against mediocre competition. So, time will tell.

Nov 12, 2007
Tulsa, Okla.
Yeah both Zac Robinson and J.W. Walsh were better (more effective) runners than Tony Lindsay. I think people's memory of Tony Lindsay are clouded by his freshman year and specifically the Texas game. Beyond that, he wasn't a super effective runner.

Until Sanders gets more experience, Zac Robinson is the gold standard of run/pass QBs at OSU. The guy was a really good runner who made himself into a highly efficient passer.

J.W. Walsh was an OUTSTANDING runner, but not nearly as effective as a passer, obviously.

Sanders has the raw talent to be the best of the bunch, but right now the sample size is way too small to make that judgement.

As an aside, the thing that impresses me most about Sanders is the velocity of his throws. We haven't seen that kind of velocity since Weeden.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Not sure he will still be healthy by the time of our game. He really takes a beating on his runs.
The dude has 345 runs for 1800 yards in the sec, I wouldnt put money on him being hurt by the mighty defenses of the big 12.

I've thought this since last year as I thought he was the best qb on your roster for a year now- Sanders has a solid future in this league though, and I suspect the Spencer Series will be fun to watch for a few years.

Aug 7, 2006
Yeah both Zac Robinson and J.W. Walsh were better (more effective) runners than Tony Lindsay. I think people's memory of Tony Lindsay are clouded by his freshman year and specifically the Texas game. Beyond that, he wasn't a super effective runner.
I think Tony was pretty good running the ball his second year too, he regressed as a passer though. The other two years he was never really healthy so it's tough to judge those. Would be interesting to see what he could do in a spread zone-read offense right now though.