1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Sandra Fluke complains about high cost of contraception in law school

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by docjoctoo, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Who is Adam Mutterperl?

2. benjamins

benjamins Sheriff

It is for some, for others they are just railing on her wanting birth control to be covered.

3. Cimarron

I'm not sure why the government should be in the business of providing free of charge elective medications, etc... Next thing we know people will want the government to provide elective plastic surgery so they will have a reason to need contraceptives (that's for both men and women for those who are pouncing to claim I'm a sexist).

4. Dez4Prez2012

Dez4Prez2012 Sheriff

Key word is definitely elective.

Specifically she wants Georgetown to pay for this choice of hers, and in general the argument is government/employee/college etc to pay for this choice.

So what...can I force OSU to provide me with Nikes each year so I can workout and jog to better my health? The government should provide me with a monthly healthy eating stipend since I can't afford to shop at Whole Foods Market or buy healthier food when eating out? Should my employer give me a car since mine is old and probably doesn't meet current safety standards?

Where does it end? Having sex, especially in the #s she is claiming if her math is to be believed, is a choice. It shouldn't be forced on anyone else but you, especially when its against religious beliefs, to provide a better way to take part in that choice.

It's an overall freedom, and religious freedom especially, issue...not an evil, Republicans are controlled by evil old white men out to get the poor innocent women issue.

If you work at a company that in their benefits package contraceptives are included, cool.

If your school gives them out, ok.

Just don't force it.

CocoCincinnati likes this.
  5. Donnyboy

Donnyboy Speaks the language A/V Subscriber

Fluke gave a sensational account for attention. She got it from the idiotic blowhard Limbaugh.

I honestly have no idea why anyone listens to Limbaugh.......he makes good points occasionally like a broken clock is right twice a day.....the rest of time he is spewing idiocy for attention. I hope he loses so many sponsors he can't stay afloat.

PokesFanatic likes this.
  6. steross

steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop A/V Subscriber

I can tell you why. The reason why is that giving free of charge birth control saves the government money. That is different than plastic surgery where there is no benefit to the government.

You know my feelings on health care. I am not advocating that solution to that problem. But, considering the current status of our government and the entitlements that are received, it is a pragmatic solution that saves taxpayer dollars (given current law).

7. CocoCincinnati

CocoCincinnati Territorial Marshal

That's a good point but if that's the case then let her go to the local Planned Parenthood office or women's clinic to get free contraceptives or just budget a little better to be able to afford $10 a month. Don't force a religious institution to provide it when it is against their beleifs. Even conservatives are getting caught up in arguing what really isn't the point here. I have no problem making birth control readily available, the issue here is very plainly whether the school should have to offer a health plan that covers it. They shouldn't be forced to do so.

8. RxCowboy

RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession. A/V Subscriber

But we're not talking about the government providing contraception. We're talking about a self-insured private entity that the government is trying to strong-arm into providing contraception. If Georgetown would rather pay for pregnancy than contraception the government has no business telling them otherwise. Worse, the reason why Georgetown doesn't provide contraception is a matter of faith and this is a government intrusion on the first amendment. If students don't like Georgetown's health plan they are perfectly free to go to a public institution that does provide contraception and that will be cheaper for them than a private institution like Georgetown in the first freaking place.

9. Cimarron

So you are suggesting that the U.S. government should "back door" control of population growth? Is that what I'm hearing?

10. Cimarron

Sort of sounds like someone else I see on TV often.

11. Hbuchanan

Hbuchanan Deputy A/V Subscriber

12. Cimarron

I'm guessing you support a 60 year old man making disgusting sexual jokes about underage girls?

Or Bill Maher using disgusting and degrading remarks about women?

Do you want more of them?

They've used words to describe women that I won't repeat here.

The hypocrisy of the left on this issue is simply sick!

13. Hbuchanan

When they are comedians yes. If they say that they are news anchors no. Comedy is comedy even if you don't like it. Rush was serious when he said fluke was a slut and prostitute. Maher makes jokes. And Maher is on HBO he does not have sponsors, its not on radio for who ever wants to hear they have to buy HBO. And the hypocrisy of the right is just as bad. Stop trying to make this a partisan issue.

14. Cimarron

That's total BS!!!! And you know it!

It's a total cop out and there is NO (get it ZERO) excuse for anyone to make sick disgusting jokes about women and especially underage girls!!!

To support it in any is SICK.

Bill Maher donated $1,000,000 to the Obama campaign and Obama calling for civility and then accepting such money is hypocrisy to the highest level!!!

To call out those on the right and excusing those on the left is making it a partisan issue!!! Which is exactly what you are doing and not me!

15. Hbuchanan

NO it is not. Just because you think it is one way does not make it so. If they are joking it is fine I don't have to like it but they can say it for all I care.And bill Maher donated that to make a point about how stupid the super pacs are. If you don't get that then I don't know what to tell you. He didn't for the same reasons Stephen Colbert did.

16. Cimarron

It is and it's sick.

I don't know if you have a wife or daughter. But I'm sure you have a mother you love and if any one (commedian or otherwise) goes on National Television or stand up comedy room and makes sick disgusting jokes about them I doubt you'll think it's very damn funny! If you do.... well I'll let you ask your mother that question.

17. ostater2319

ostater2319 Deputy

So would it be ok for a comedian to go on television and call Obama the "N" word? Or to say he should be lynched? That ok with you?

And just as an FYI Rush is NOT a news anchor he is a talk show host. So if it's wrong for a talk show host then it's wrong for a comedian. Pull. Your. Head. Out.

18. Hbuchanan

you pull your head out. On national TV no because anyone can watch. If they are on HBO or in a Comedy Club then I don't care what they say. And yes I know Rush is not a news anchor. But he is on public radio.

19. Cimarron

Not only that while Bill Maher donated money to make a point I suppose Obama took the money to make a point as well?

Bill Maher can donate whatever he wants to. But the President of the United States can or can not represent all of the citizens of the US equally with the same respect. In this case he has failed miserably to do so.

20. RxCowboy

RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession. A/V Subscriber

Oh, good night nurse. Limbaugh IS NOT a news anchor. He isn't a journalist. He isn't a politician. He doesn't purport to be any of those things. He is a political commentator and uses ridicule to make points just like Maher. If ridicule is intolerable to you the it is hypocritical to tolerate from Maher and not from Limbaugh.

ostater2319 likes this.