1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Santorum - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by cowboycurt, Jan 4, 2012.

1. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

What is everyone's thoughts on Santorum? Can he maintain this level of support throughout the rest of the republican nomination race? What do you think about him as a candidate?

I can honestly say that I never gave him a good look until recently. He never really impressed me as much as some of the other candidates. I agree with him on a lot of his political stances but the biggest thing I can't stand about him(which isn't a big thing at all) is that he talks out the side of his mouth. I can only imagine what Comedy Central/Late night television shows would do to someone like this...haha. It's quite sad I think of that but it's probably true.
  2. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

He spent a year in Iowa and went to every podunk town multiple times......I say he goes no where from here. I guess he was thinking that doing well in Iowa was going to give him a launching point but I just don't see him gaining any traction....he doesn't inspire people with his personality, that's for sure.
    bleedinorange likes this.
  3. panhandler62

panhandler62 Cowboy

He is a bigot. No matter what else he brings out; if he can't see all lawful Americans as equal I can't support him. His website looks pretty reasonable but I have heard him on talk radio in this area a lot (he's quasi local and likes to hear himself on the radio so I've been treated to him a good bit) and his true colors come out pretty quickly.

If you are a median to high income WASP he likes you. If you are a low income WASP he tolerates you. If you don't fit those descriptions he wants you to be reasonable and adapt to fit one of these groups. [*]

Though I fall in one of his preferred groups and would benefit personally from policies he would champion; I couldn't look my neighbors in the eyes if I lent support to someone who thinks of some of them as lessor beings.

[*] I don't think race is an issue to him except in so far as the social bell curve is concerned, e.g. Being "of color" is only an issue if you *act* "of color."
  4. kaje

A/V Subscriber kaje Let's Go Heat!

He's raised less money than any of the other candidates. He doesn't have the funds or the organization to go much further.
    PlatypusJojo and bleedinorange like this.
  5. Roman Craig

A/V Subscriber Roman Craig Race Ya Home!

This.

Romney survived. Iowa was the test. It's Romney vs Paul vs Perry. Those 3 have the money and organization.
  6. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

I know next to nothing about Santorum. How, specifically, is he a bigot? What policies is he promoting that leads you to think that he doesn't believe all americans are equally deserving of citizenship?

I mean....come on Pan.....you did vote for Obama last go around.......your political credibility took a beating on that choice.:)
  7. PokesFanatic

PokesFanatic Cowboy

IMO, Rick Santorum is a theocratic 'fascist' in the true sense of the word (meaning that doesn't necessarily make him a Nazi or racist). I think his social issue convictions run counter to civil liberties and I have no doubts he would endeavor to restrict them out of his own, personal religious convictions.
    State, OrangeAggie and okstate987 like this.
  8. StillwaterTownie

StillwaterTownie Wrangler

Santorum will surely continue doing good. In Oklahoma he will probably do no worse than place 2nd in Oklahoma and maybe even first. Plenty of evangelical Republicans still yearn for politicians to talk of their love and thanks to God and that homosexuality and abortion is wrong and should be banned.
  9. panhandler62

panhandler62 Cowboy

Obama lied.... a lot. Had I listened to his past instead of his promises I would not have voted for him. His presidency has turned out to be just what his old speeches and old choices would suggest, not what his campaign promised. "Fool me once..."

Santorum is actively anti gay, anti "anything but evangelical Christian" and panders heavily to the "the country was great back in the day when kids read the Bible in school and every one knew their place" email forwarding crowd.

He is (or at least used to be) a regular on Janet Parshall's radio program where he would go on, at length, about the decline of America due to a lack of religion and the horrible plague of homosexuals and feminists trying to ruin the country. Since he would like to get at least a few more votes than Michele Bachman does (especially with her suspended campaign) you won't find that on his website or in his current speeches.

I'm about an inch away from voting fro Ron Paul. He has a few fringe ideas but he's the only one of the candidates who isn't talking out both sides of his mouth. I might be willing to go for an honest man, even if there are issues I disagree with him on.
    State likes this.
  10. Slugger926

Slugger926 Deputy

Past actions usually speak the truth of the future. I see it everywhere including at work.
  11. okstate987

okstate987 Wrangler

Go look up some of his quotes on Gays and Arabs, you cant make this stuff up. He voted for almost every spending increase under Bush, and the Airline industry bailout. He got the mindless evangelical vote with several "God and Guns" comments ( even though he supports gun control) Santorum will get his scrutiny, and will wilt when it comes.
  12. kaje

Santorum is only against abortion when it isn't his wife getting one.
  13. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

Once Bachmann, then Perry, and then Newt drop out...majority of those votes will go to Santorum if he is still around.
  14. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

That is ridiculous. You do know that they WANTED the baby but the wife was dying because of a fetus that had a fatal defect (it was going to die as well, regardless of what was done). The wife went into labor and they delivered the baby early to save the wife and maybe give the baby a minimal chance (even though there wasn't much of one).

That doesn't change the fact that he is pro-life and that he believes a baby deserves the chance to live. The doctors did what they did for the purpose of giving the best chance for both the mother and the baby to live.

Baby's are born premature everyday for the purpose of the the baby's long-term health and the mother's health. Even though the baby may experience problems because it is premature, it would avoid even larger complications by being delivered early.
  15. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

It will be interesting if Santorum gets an increase in donations after showing some hope in Iowa.

Right now, I see candidates who have their advantages in certain areas but Romney and Paul are probably the most complete candidates.
  16. kaje

She did not miscarry naturally. They killed the child with absolute certitude. That procedure would be illegal with Santorum's views on abortion. They're okay with it when something more is on the line. Typical hypocrite wanting to force others to a moral code that not even he and his wife follow.
  17. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

I'm not going to argue with the facts of the situation because I don't know anything about it. I do find it funny (and I've brought this up before) but it is apparent that only republicans can be hypocrites in the political sphere.
  18. kaje

They are? I remember one in particular that I criticized a lot for it.

[​IMG]
    okstate987 and PlatypusJojo like this.
  19. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

The baby boy, Gabriel, lived for 2 hours you idiot.

Partial-birth abortion (due to the premature birth of the fetus) for the purpose of survival of the mother and the most hope for the child is a little different then pro-choice no matter the circumstances.

Like I said before, both Rick Santorum and his wife WANTED his child to live. Hence, he is pro-life. Whether you disagree with his politics is one thing but it's a little insensitive of you to spew crap like that.
  20. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

If you point out hypocrisy on the left you're called partisan.