1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Santorum - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by OSU_CC, Jan 4, 2012.

1. StillwaterTownie

StillwaterTownie Territorial Marshal

And in the case of religion, it can not answer where God came from. Did He come from a big bang incident or was created by a yet higher God or Gods? Where does God think he came from, anyway?

2. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Federal Marshal

3. okstate987

okstate987 Deputy

Have I suggested anywhere in this thread another candidate I am trying to siphon votes to? I don't have a problem with his religion, i have a problem with his methodology which is manipulative at the very least. I have never heard anyone either on this board or talking to people face to face that have mentioned Romney's religion (Mormanism) as a detraction from supporting him. Only the media mentions it as a possible detraction.
    Did I post that? I have a problem with his substance-less pandering, reread my post.
    Who do you think? The people who have the most to gain from mentioning it.

4. StillwaterTownie

But I don't see a return of manufacturing unless the minimum wage is abolished, which many conservatives support, so manufacturers can see if people will actually work for as little as .50 an hour.

5. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Federal Marshal

What vulnerabilities does Mitt Romney have? I'm sure there are some but I would not shy away from voting for him because they haven't been aired. There are simply too many things that would have to come about for me to have any sort of a comfort level with Ron Paul. The only way I could vote for him is if he is the only option against obama, which I do not expect to occur.
    That said, I will support whomever the opposition party puts up against the sitting occupant of the Oval Office.

6. OrangeAggie

OrangeAggie Assistant to the Moderater A/V Subscriber

1. Tactitus: Forgery. The statement didn't show up until the 15th century, which is curious considering how desperate early Christian leaders were for evidence of Jesus' existence. We have massive amounts of Tactitus' writings, and the writing style is wrong, he calls Pilate a procurator, rather than a Prefect, and it's interesting that it's the only few sentences in all of his works that even mention Christianity.

2. Pliny the Younger's letter in 112 CE is worthless as evidence because he never even mentions Jesus. He mentions Christians, and references Christ, but that's hardly evidence. Plus, the authenticity of that letter is widely doubted.

3. Suetonius wrote a sentence in Lives of the Twelve Caesars something about "Chrestus", which is not a known synonym for Christ. Is this really something you consider to be evidence?

4. Testomonium Flavianum was altered by Catholic scribes to support the existence of Jesus. This is the consensus among historians, so if you want to stick your head in the sand, feel free, but I'll go with the expert opinion.

5. Mara bar Sarapion mentions a "Wise King", but that's it. Never mentions anything about Jesus.

The rest of your sources are all so absurd that I'm not even going to bother debating them.

7. okstate987

okstate987 Deputy

The above are still Theories. They may have supporting evidence, but still have many many holes. There is one big myth that many fall into, and that is the Myth of Certainty.

8. okstate987

okstate987 Deputy

That is because the cost of living readjusts to every increase in the minimum wage. Things like milk, bread, and other necessities increase in price on the heels of an increase. The only thing that changes is the number of dollars being exchanged, the purchasing power stays the same. (I was working @ minimum wage at the time of the last increase)

9. StillwaterTownie

I doubt that Paul can overcome his allowing racial bigotry to come out in his newsletters. Besides, so unlike Paul, surely most Republicans feel that the USA needs to step up military spending, not reduce it. No doubt, they're looking forward to trashing Obama for not wanting to do so.

10. PokesPeak

PokesPeak a division of TacoCorp© A/V Subscriber

ah nice, you rip on kaje for posting pictures, but the best you can do is make a quote... that doesn't really help your argument.

11. okstate987

okstate987 Deputy

12. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

You don't have to be siphoning votes to any particular candidate to be speaking out against another candidate or trying to sway public opinion.

Yes, it's the ones who gain the most from mentioning religion. Does one side have more to gain than the other?

Every candidate is trying to manipulate votes? And every candidate uses religion to do it, either in a positive way to reflect their values over another candidate or in a negative way to suggest negativity on a candidate because of his religion. What candidate, either a person of religion or not hasn't used religion to manipulate votes?

13. Cimarron

Where did I rip on kaje? I can't even see kaje's posts!

14. panhandler62

panhandler62 Territorial Marshal

Portions, yes, but not the entirety. You're debating like a creationist. You may rest on your beliefs if you like, but cherry picking doesn't constitute good research.

15. PokesPeak

you realize they still call it the "theory of gravity"... do you not believe in that?

the·o·ry

[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee] [​IMG] Show IPA

noun, plural the·o·ries.
    a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonlyregarded as correct, that can be used as principles ofexplanation and prediction for a class of phenomena:Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law,doctrine.

16. PokesPeak

do i have to do all your research?

cimarron.png

17. Cimarron

Oh, so cowboycurt ripped on kaje for posting images and I added my thoughts based on my own experience with kaje (who I now have on ignore and for good reason).

18. okstate987

okstate987 Deputy

Can I not have an opinion? The title of this thread, once again, was "Santorum-Thoughts?" I will not repeat it again, I have a problem with Santorum's pandering (which happens to be religious in nature), not with his religion. If you cannot/choose not to understand that, I am sorry.
    [quote="Cimarron, post: 1766763, member: 2767
    What candidate, either a person of religion or not hasn't used religion to manipulate votes?
    [/quote]
    To my knowledge, Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, Herman Cain, Jon Huntsman, and Ron Paul have not pandered in this manner, they have only addressed this topic when asked about it.

19. StillwaterTownie

20. PokesPeak

the FACT remains...