1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Savage Edge

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by pokefun, May 4, 2010.

1. pokefun

pokefun gooner hater extraordinaire

2. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

Savage has another redeeming quality in that the barrels are easily changed with the barrel nut, near the receiver. I've not done it but others have and comment on how easy it is to adjust for headspace if you want to change calibers.
  3. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gem├╝tlichkeit

That's a really good price for practically any new rifle. Too bad it doesn't have the Accutrigger, I might have picked one up.

Sig, do you know if the bolt/mags are somewhat interchangeable too? One of the things I love about my Sig Shr-970 is that to change calibers all you have to do is replace the barrel (also with lugs) The mags and bolt is interchangeable unless you went to a magnum round.
  4. Travis

Travis Cowboy

$300 for a .308 w/ optics isn't bad. I imagine the scope is nothing to write home about, but that's still a good price for a .308 rifle if it shoots good.
  5. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

Erick,
    I don't own a Savage centerfire rifle but I do remember they make two action types. If I'm correct, this would prevent changing a short action caliber to a long action caliber unless you want to load single shot.
    One could change a long action to a short action caliber and as long as the magazine fits (I see no reason why it wouldn't) it should work.
    For instance, you could change a .30-06 length caliber to a .308 family caliber but not the reverse.
  6. Busterz

Busterz Cowboy

I saw it came drilled and tapped for a scope, but I'm wondering about adding open sites. I would carry something like this in my pick up as a ranch gun and I'd rather not have to worry about banging a scope around. Does anyone do this? Is it a stupid idea?
  7. pokefun

pokefun gooner hater extraordinaire

You could surely sweat open sights on, but why? I would just go with a fixed 4 power or something like it and call it good.
  8. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

I don't know if I would attempt to have open sights put on it. Especially on an inexpensive gun like a Savage. Instead, I would recommend you might consider a lower power variable scope, like a 1.5-6 or a 2-7. It makes for a pretty nice compact package and will still offer a good field of view. Just my 2 cents...
  9. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gem├╝tlichkeit

I don't think it's a stupid idea. Scopes can get knocked out of zero pretty easily bouncing around in a truck. I'm not sure if I would buy a new rifle and adding sight. Seems like it would be easier to just pick up an old military rifle and call it good. You would probably want a carbine, and something with enough power to kill something bigger than a coyote. Maybe like a Mauser?
  10. Travis

Travis Cowboy

I'm rat holing my pennies to get a Rem 700 .308 :D I was tempted to buy one of the Savage Edge rifles, but the 700 is just too sexy :D
  11. InTheKnow

A/V Subscriber InTheKnow Usually Last to Know

My Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag is my favorite rifle. It just has a "feel" about it that gives me the confidence to shoot great with it.

Having said that, Savage makes a lot better rifle now than I realized. Bought two of them (with Accutrigger) about a year ago and I like them much better than I thought I would. Very nice rifles if you want good quality at a lower price, IMO.
  12. Travis

Travis Cowboy

I'd like to shoot a 7mm rifle, but I think a .308 would be perfect for me. I can shoot it for free(work marksmanship team) and that'd negate me having to spend money on ammunition for competitions and such.
  13. InTheKnow

If I had the opportunity to shoot a rifle for free (on a regular basis), I would definitely purchase a rifle in the caliber that used the free ammo. :D
  14. Travis

Travis Cowboy

9mm and .45 too ;)
  15. Slugger926

Slugger926 Deputy

Flintlock rifle. Make your own powder, and cast your own bullets. There are plenty of recipies for powder on the internet, and you can get free lead for casting bullets from discarded tire weights.:D
  16. InTheKnow

Well, it's not really free if I've got to do all that work making powder and bullets. :confused:
  17. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

And who the hell would want to shoot a flintlock rifle that much anyway?