Season predictions

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I think OU had their way and did what they wanted, and Osu made a few stops, as expected. I bet West Virginia defense will give them more of a battle though.

It’s funny because the only touchdown Osuhad all night was essentially gift wrapped to them by Penalties.

That’s kind of the point of having a powerful 240 lb running back. You just keep pounding and pounding until they wear the defense down. Almost like it’s a strategy or something.
What a concept.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
And it finally paid off late when then game was clearly far out of reach. That's much different than Breece Halls' performance against us. He consistently ran on us all day. Thankfully, our offense had some what of a pulse that day and did their part for the defense. Breece could've gone for 300+ if the offense played the way they did against OU, but they didn't.

Again.. My predictions are well documented. I didn't trust our OL to protect a struggling QB. I said if the offense put the defense back on the field over and over because they couldn't sustain drives, the defense would wear down and Stevenson would breakout. That had happened in the second half. We could not move the ball and keep our defense off the field long enough. They played way too many snaps, but had held Stevenson in check until the late in the game. Look at those plays he broke. They were simple dives designed for 5 yards and a cloud of dust. We had ate up the complex schemes all night on the ground until the defense was done. It's a shame the OL is down 6 players form the start of camp. I would have liked to have seen another Bedlam slug fests. Getting owned on offense is not fun.

If I had nickel for every time I was right on here..
So, they did what they wanted, and had their way with that sieve of a defense by throwing it at will and passing at a high level. Running only 15 times in the 1st half, running just enough to keep the defense honest in defending the 18 pass attempts. Then running it 29 times in the 2nd half passing it 6 times, which is a common strategy when you have a 2 touchdown lead and an opposing offense who cant move the ball.

With the exception of those three 3 & outs in the middle of the game, OU basically ran and passed methodically as they pleased & scored on nearly every drive. A well executed game plan.

As far as their defense playing "way too many snaps" OU only ran 68 plays, below their season average of 74. It's not that big of a deal to defend 68 plays.

See above. Breece Hall ran on us all game. He's the one who started this chatter from y'all.

I agreed football games are 60min, but I'd be more impressed if Stevenson was torching us on the ground all game like Breece Hall did. We bottled him up for most of the game though. He gets credit for torching up a gassed defense the same way he gets credit for getting stopped by a fresh defense for 3 quarters.
Every game flows differently. And this flowed beautifully. Just so you know, Stevenson had 74 yards rushing at the end of the 3rd quarter. And he had 99 yards rushing after the 1st play of the 4th quarter. This of course doesnt include the 54 yards of receiving. True much of his damage came in the 4th, when everyone in the stadium knew who was getting the ball and still couldnt stop it. Whew! good thing football isnt a 3Q game.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
So, they did what they wanted, and had their way with that sieve of a defense by throwing it at will and passing at a high level. Running only 15 times in the 1st half, running just enough to keep the defense honest in defending the 18 pass attempts. Then running it 29 times in the 2nd half passing it 6 times, which is a common strategy when you have a 2 touchdown lead and an opposing offense who cant move the ball.

With the exception of those three 3 & outs in the middle of the game, OU basically ran and passed methodically as they pleased & scored on nearly every drive. A well executed game plan.

As far as their defense playing "way too many snaps" OU only ran 68 plays, below their season average of 74. It's not that big of a deal to defend 68 plays.

Every game flows differently. And this flowed beautifully. Just so you know, Stevenson had 74 yards rushing at the end of the 3rd quarter. And he had 99 yards rushing after the 1st play of the 4th quarter. This of course doesnt include the 54 yards of receiving. True much of his damage came in the 4th, when everyone in the stadium knew who was getting the ball and still couldnt stop it. Whew! good thing football isnt a 3Q game.
Like I said, OSU's defense gave the offense plenty of chances through the second and third quarters. They can't be expected to it all against a team like OU. They held Stevenson in check for much of the game. Breece Hall was never in check during the game in Stillwater.

Again, I predicted we'd wear down and he'd hit his stride late if we didn't do anything on offense.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Like I said, OSU's defense gave the offense plenty of chances through the second and third quarters. They can't be expected to it all against a team like OU. They held Stevenson in check for much of the game. Breece Hall was never in check during the game in Stillwater.

Again, I predicted we'd wear down and he'd hit his stride late if we didn't do anything on offense.
they made stops, as was expected. but that only happened 3 times and they scored on every other possession except the one where they missed an easy fg. I dont think having 150+ yards before the 4th qtr was being held in check but i get that you really need a moral victory right now. However OU really was able to do what they wanted on both sides of the ball

Dec 8, 2013
Houston
witless:

You're deflecting again.

The Sooners aren't a finished product BUT probably are almost on schedule.

Contrastingly - pukes are terrible. HC, DC & OC - are terrible. QBs are terrible. OL is terrible. Chewby is counterfeit to the CORE. (I like the heart of some of the defenders. It's a shame they landed in stoolvater.) Stoner is a gamer. There's probably a few that could play for me. Malcolm Rodriguez didn't get his ass kicked.
Where'd you go Sooner78? come back

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
they made stops, as was expected. but that only happened 3 times and they scored on every other possession except the one where they missed an easy fg. I dont think having 150+ yards before the 4th qtr was being held in check but i get that you really need a moral victory right now. However OU really was able to do what they wanted on both sides of the ball
Stevenson didn’t have 150 rushing yards going into the 4th.

Y’all were under the impression the man would steam roll us from the get go. He didn’t do it until the game was far out of reach in what many of us call garbage time.

I’m not wrong.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Stevenson didn’t have 150 rushing yards going into the 4th.

Y’all were under the impression the man would steam roll us from the get go. He didn’t do it until the game was far out of reach in what many of us call garbage time.

I’m not wrong.
I never claimed he had 150 rushing yards going into the fourth.

He did steamroll you though. Stats don’t lie. He had the best game of his career on Saturday. Again, I get it, youre desperately clamoring for any sort of moral victory that you can get. Here’s a moral victory for you, this could be the game that got gundy fired.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK

He did steamroll you though. Stats don’t lie. He had the best game of his career on Saturday. Again, I get it, youre desperately clamoring for any sort of moral victory that you can get. Here’s a moral victory for you, this could be the game that got gundy fired.
Psh.. there was no moral victory to be had. Riley’s H back planning took all that. The sooner D took all that.

We had a side bar conversation about your RB going Breece Hall on us. He was lucky we had no offense and was able to more than double his yardage in garbage time.

This isn’t about a moral victory. This is a conversation about what actually happened compared to our pregame discussions. Had he dominated us like Breece Hall did the entire game, not garbage time, I’d admit you were right.

That’s not taking away from Stevenson. He’s a good player. If we had an offense to help our defense out, he’d have probably finished with a 100 yard stat line on 30 carries.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

Psh.. there was no moral victory to be had. Riley’s H back planning took all that. The sooner D took all that.

We had a side bar conversation about your RB going Breece Hall on us. He was lucky we had no offense and was able to more than double his yardage in garbage time.

This isn’t about a moral victory. This is a conversation about what actually happened compared to our pregame discussions. Had he dominated us like Breece Hall did the entire game, not garbage time, I’d admit you were right.

That’s not taking away from Stevenson. He’s a good player. If we had an offense to help our defense out, he’d have probably finished with a 100 yard stat line on 30 carries.
Yeah, it’s certainly a moral victory, but it’s not a very good one though because he had a career game on Saturday. I certainly did not expect him to have 196 yards. 148 of which he had under his belt with 14:50 remaining in the 4th. But he also had a good fourth quarter, I agree. I think he was able to get 48 more yards after this point.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
Yeah, it’s certainly a moral victory, but it’s not a very good one though because he had a career game on Saturday. I certainly did not expect him to have 196 yards. 148 of which he had under his belt with 14:50 remaining in the 4th. But he also had a good fourth quarter, I agree. I think he was able to get 48 more yards after this point.
No, I’ve made myself perfectly clear. You don’t get dictate my moral and immoral victories. The facts have been laid out. We know when Stevenson doubled is output. We established the context before the game. You thought he’d run wild from start to finish.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
For you simpletons, this is what @osuwhit is talking about.

R. Stevenson:
1st half = 16yds on 12 carries 1.3ypc
2nd half (the first 2 drives) = 22 yds on 4 carries 5.5ypc
at this point Stevenson has 38 yds on 16 carries 2.3ypc

Last 2 drives = 98 yds on 10 carries

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
For you simpletons, this is what @osuwhit is talking about.

R. Stevenson:
1st half = 16yds on 12 carries 1.3ypc
2nd half (the first 2 drives) = 22 yds on 4 carries 5.5ypc
at this point Stevenson has 38 yds on 16 carries 2.3ypc

Last 2 drives = 98 yds on 10 carries
Do Breece Hall next to really drive the point home for these low IQ dick lickers.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Congratulations.

Oklahoma still put up all the points they needed to beat you with 8:26 left to go in the first quarter.

Well done, greatest defense in OSU history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk