1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Separate Basketball and Football forums

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by backphil, Feb 5, 2011.

?

Would you like to see OP set up separate football and basketball forums

Poll closed Feb 20, 2011.
  1. YES

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. NO

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. backphil

backphil Sheriff

I think that it would be a good idea to open separate basketball and football forums just like all the other major football schools. Too many headlines on the one oSu sports forum are so ambiguous as to fail to ID the post as football or basketball. Should be real easy to do. Maybe put it on a 2-3 month trial run.:kool:

2. backphil

backphil Sheriff

Separate Basketball and Football forums?

I think that it would be a good idea to open separate basketball and football forums just like all the other major football schools. Too many headlines on the one oSu sports forum are so ambiguous as to fail to ID the post as football or basketball. Should be real easy to do. Maybe put it on a 2-3 month trial run.:kool: What are your thoughts?

3. stonewallpoke

stonewallpoke Demon Brigade A/V Subscriber

The only reason I voted yes is because we're so into football now that it can be hard to talk about basketball when a thread a minute is generated to whine about the offensive coordinator and such. Basketball threads can get bumped off the front page.

I won't be heartbroken if it never happens, though.

4. steross

steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop A/V Subscriber

Re: Separate Basketball and Football forums?

My thoughts are that people would just continue to post everything in whatever is the most viewed forum. For example, there is a website customer service forum for suggestions on the website.:D

5. dds115

dds115 Free Roverto!!! A/V Subscriber

Since the seasons hardly over overlap I don't think its a problem.

6. Poke04

Poke04 Sheriff

I would like separate forums too. May clean it up a bit

7. BeatOU

BeatOU GGBTW Staff A/V Subscriber

I hate the boards that do that. Way too many forums to have to go into. I am here because this is hands down my favorite, so I definitely wouldn't ask for change.

8. matxdad

matxdad Sheriff

NO - people just need to title their threads with something has has meaning to all and not try to be cryptic/tricky as to what they are thinking. At a quick glance, those now on the first page looks understandable, but at times you can't tell what people want to discuss until you open the thread to read what was written.

9. PokeVille

PokeVille . A/V Subscriber

Where would we put discussion about all the other sports? should we have a football only forum and then the rest in a single forum together?

10. Fade

Fade Sheriff

Having the two topics on the same forum likely creates even more traffic. We're not remotely big enough to need separate forums, and I've seen many cases like this in which separate forums just create a 'dead' feeling for both. People will still post threads with bad subjects either way.

11. backphil

backphil Sheriff

I think our football program has grown to the point where the viewership of a football only forum is justified. Our football program now has national prominence and we get alot of visitors from other conferences. You could keep all of the other sports, including basketball, on this forum until we return to national prominence. Just a thought.;)

12. backphil

backphil Sheriff

My poll was aimed at the common masses, not the elite customer service reps.:D

13. ProBonoPoke

ProBonoPoke Wrangler

I would like to see a separate Football forum and then another for all other OSU sports. While I have always thought of and love OSU being a "basketball" school it is clear that the majority of posts are on football. It would make things simpler to find exactly what you are looking for or to be able to distinguish titles like "recruits" from one sport to another.

14. Hefley001

Hefley001 Deputy

I concur 100%. I'm a die hard Cowboy football fan. I just dont like basketball as a sport. I would love to see separate forums.

15. OSUCHOCTAW

OSUCHOCTAW Territorial Marshal

This board would just look like rivals.com.

I'm not opposed to the idea at all. It would help keep down all the clutter that we now have.

16. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Territorial Marshal

I agree with this sentiment, but also with the fact that there's more than two sports at OSU (even though admittedly they recieve the lion's share of the attention).

I think an elegant solution would be to implement this thread suffix plugin that can be seen at PersonalityCafe.com: http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/

Give users the option of adding the relevant sport as a prefix to their thread titles so folks can scan and easily identify them.

17. backphil

backphil Sheriff

Fade, your homework assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to track the number of basketball vs football posts over the next 20 days (length of the poll.) Then, report back to the forum with your objective evidence, rather than posting one single random subjective opinion, as if it were fact.:)

18. Chris H.

Chris H. administrator emeritus A/V Subscriber

Merged with the existing customer service thread, where topics such as this belong.

19. CrabStuffedFish

CrabStuffedFish It's Just Childish

I like them all in one spot.

I am lazy. I like to go to one page and find everything I care about when it comes to OSU sports. If I am reading a basketball thread and we get an Offensive Coordinator, I will know when I go back to the main page and threads are exploding about the outrage of the hire of Kanye West as OC. If I am looking at our new OC thread and our hoops team manages to convince LBJ to come to college for one year then I will see it.

I know that its small but its my personal preference on this. Just nice to not have to open two separate pages and follow them both throughout the day.

All in one place.

I really like the way its set up.

20. WorldseriesofPoke

WorldseriesofPoke Territorial Marshal

Zombie Lyndon Baines Johnson would be an incredible pickup, but i am not sure we have a scholarship open.