1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Shamiel Gary

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by jp7588, Jan 17, 2011.

1. jp7588

jp7588 Wrangler

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this guy but he's a Tulsa native and former freshman all-american safety from the university of Wyoming. He's on campus now and plans to walk-on to the football team.

I'm posting from my phone so I'm not gonna post links but a quick google search should give you some info. And I haven't came across a media source confirming this but a guy claiming to be Shamiel Gary, transfer from Wyoming, is rooming with a friend of mine.

Looks like a pretty nice addition to the secondary. And sorry if this is old. This is the first I've ever heard of the guy.
  2. Pokeabear

A/V Subscriber Pokeabear The High Horsemen of Horticulture

Kid looks like a player, out of Booker T, had 180 tackles last year and 4 interceptions, while missing the final two games, could be another great transfer!
  3. lagershead

lagershead Cowboy

I thot I read on another site over the weekend that he was a frosh AA.

I like the sound of that.

Thx for the info.
  4. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Cowboy

He has to sit one year, right?
  5. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

Yes, if he played DI ball, and hasn't gotten a waver from the Gestapo.
  6. blt_26

blt_26 Cowboy

Would you have to even sit a year if you are walking on? Regardless, he will be a junior whenever he is able to play correct?
  7. jp7588

jp7588 Wrangler

He did tell my friend that he plans on playing this fall and he hopes to contend for a starting job. Maybe he has to sit out and he doesn't know it yet. i'd love to have him this year. We certainly need the depth.
  8. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

Or maybe I'm totally wrong. I thought that if you transferred, you had to sit out a year.
  9. gopokes1985

gopokes1985 Greenhorn

Maskes me feel just a tiny bit better about losing VJ.
  10. PokeinTTown

PokeinTTown Wrangler

He will have to sit with out a waiver saying he can play. If he is transfering just to transfer I doubt he will get it but if he is transfersing home for special circumstances he can probably play. Everyone sits unless your transfering up/down or have a waiver if I am not mistaken.

Did he use his redshirt?
  11. orangemoose

orangemoose Cowboy

On cowboyaltitude.com/2011/1/7/1921806/shamiel-gary, it states that he and two other sophmores are leaving. It says that Shamiel has two choices if transfering to FBS facility. 1) redshirt 2011 and play 2012 & 2013. 2) play 2011 and 2012. He missed the last two games in 2010 for family issues and did not return. They also felt that he was a major contributer in both 2009 and 2010 as a Strong Safety.
  12. wook

wook Cowboy

According to the Wyoming web site, he stepped in and started 12 games as a true freshman at strong safety. Looks like a solid player.
  13. lagershead

lagershead Cowboy

No, you are not wrong. He sits according to NCAA rules.
  14. orangemoose

orangemoose Cowboy

Based upon cowboyaltitude.com's comments........it appears that his family issues mandate he be close to home and will allow the NCAA to permit him to play in 2011.
  15. lagershead

lagershead Cowboy

OK, Moose. There may be exceptions to the rule, e.g., 'family issues'.

Didn't that happen to a Union kid a few years ago who went to Arkie? He came back home to play at TU cuz of his Dad's illness.
  16. jp7588

jp7588 Wrangler

The family issues mandating his move back to Oklahoma fall in line with what I was told today. If the NCAA prohibits him from playing i'd be really surprised.
  17. Poke 'Em

Poke 'Em Cowboy

18. jobob85

A/V Subscriber jobob85 Cowboy

I'm glad he's coming to OSU to play but, would rather he got to stay in Wyoming and not had the family issues. Hope things work out for him and that OSU becomes a second home for him like it has for many of us.

Welcome aboard Mr. Gary.
  19. HoboSpider

HoboSpider Wrangler

Either that or it's not that hard to start at Wyoming ...
  20. swamppoke

A/V Subscriber swamppoke faster than a speeding building.

While that may be true, being named a Freshman AA is a bit of distinction, don't you think?