1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Shotgun

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by dds115, Jun 28, 2011.

1. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

As some of you may know, I was bit by the gun bug. I purchased my first firearm (Sig 2022, 9mm) about 3 months ago. I would let it sleep in my bed, if I thought I wouldn't shoot myself :)

Now I'm getting ready for fall, and I will be going hunting for the first time. My buddy's uncle owns 400+ acres, and we plan on duck, dove, and ribeye in the sky hunting once the season comes around. I figure I'll be buying in 3 months or so, but why not talk about it now, I've got nothing better to do! Also, it gives me some time in case you say that I NEED the Benelli Super Black Eagle II ;)

I'd like it to be pump. I've shot a few different shotguns, semi and pump, and enjoy shooting pump more. I really don't know what else to look for in a shotgun. I would put a budget around 500, but if you're going to tell me that for an extra hundred or two will get me a MUCH better gun, I'd play with the idea. I think I'm fine buying used, I assume with a shotgun it is pretty easy to tell if it was taken care of or not.

Thanks!
  2. State

A/V Subscriber State Cold Ass Honkey

I've got a Benelli Supernova and it's a good allround shotgun. I haven't been able to shoot it a whole lot but others much more knowledgable than me on here like it as well. The price is right too.
  3. O*S*U 1219

O*S*U 1219 Bulking

I have used a Remington 870 Express for years and absolutely will not go back to another gun. I have been a Remington and Weatherby user since I was a little kid and am very loyal to them. I have to say that the Rem. 870 is my absolute favorite gun I own. I have two and just recently made my second one into a combat shotgun with the flip-stock and shorter barrel (my zombie apocolypse gun). I would look into it and see what you think. It's a great gun for a great price!
    teibbor and okstate0303 like this.
  4. okstate0303

okstate0303 Cowboy

It's hard to beat the 870 Express for the money.
  5. State

A/V Subscriber State Cold Ass Honkey

I've got an short 870 for home defense. Another great gun. I just need to get somewhere that I can find someone to put hi-vis sights on it.
  6. dds115

Excuse my ignorance, but is it fine to take a gun with wood stock/pump out hunting where it will be exposed to the elements?
  7. O*S*U 1219

O*S*U 1219 Bulking

Get a light too. I feel that every home shotty needs a tactical light.
  8. O*S*U 1219

O*S*U 1219 Bulking

Of course! They are laminant, so weather really wont play a factor in it all that much. And most guns come in both wood and synthetic stock, most give you options.
  9. dds115

Got it, thanks!

Another note, I kind of like the camo shotguns, and I think it would make me a better shooter, obviously. And the zombies won't be able to see it when I am shooting them.
  10. O*S*U 1219

O*S*U 1219 Bulking

The best place I have found new stocks, cheap ammo, etc. is CheaperThanDirt.com. The place is amazing and you can find plenty of stocks with different mods that you can think of!
  11. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber CTeamPoke Wildcard

There were some pretty nice used 12 gauge pumps at the Cabela's here in Allen on Saturday. I think the cheapest I saw was around $400. Not that you want to go with the cheapest gun.
  12. O*S*U 1219

O*S*U 1219 Bulking

Have you ever bought a used gun before? I think it's kind of sketchy buying a used gun (that's just me). There is something eerie to me about buying someone elses gun. I have a fear that it would be faulty and blow my head off. Have you had any positive experiences?
  13. CTeamPoke

I have. It's easy to tell the condition of a gun, especially a shotgun, and a reputable dealer like Cabela's checks them and cleans them to make sure they are only selling quality weapons.
  14. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gem├╝tlichkeit

Nothing wrong with used guns. Just have someone knowledgeable inspect it. I would say most of my guns were owned by someone else. They are cheaper, no tax and no papers!

If you go with a pump get a Benelli Nova. A Remington 870 is a good gun but not in the same park as the Nova. When I was shooting competitively I started out with a 870. I traded it off and upgraded to a Nova and I instantly shot much better consistently. It is the best pump made. (imo) If it was my, I'd go with black. It's a better finish and wont rub off like the camo. Plus it looks cooler.

I have the Benelli SBEII and it's a work of art. I think it's best to start with a pump and learn the value of shot selection. There is always time for autos in the future.
  15. O*S*U 1219

O*S*U 1219 Bulking

This is spot on. That's how I started and it really does teach you patience.
  16. dds115

The more research I do the more Benelli Novas pop up. Also the Super Nova, but I haven't looked up the difference yet. Any opinion on 12 vs 20ga.? I know what it means, but I'm not sure which is more common, or if one has more advantages over the other.
  17. O*S*U 1219

O*S*U 1219 Bulking

That's the one thing you need to look at. It all depends on what you are hunting. 20ga. is more for quail and smaller game, even dove to some extent. 12ga. is a bigger game gun i.e. dove, duck, pheasant, etc. and can also be used with slug shells and you can hunt deer and larger game. 12ga. is more common if that's what you are looking for!
  18. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gem├╝tlichkeit

12 all the way. it's just as cheap to shoot and you have a better chance at hitting the target/animal.Why handicap yourself from the get-go? 20g are for kids, women and guys that are really good shots.

The Super Nova has a few stock options that can allow you to replace them with tacktical-type stocks. The Nova is a one piece stock. In my opinion it's not worth the extra unless you want to make a Tactical gun.

Oh, and I didn't mean to knock the 870. My dad got me a new 20 youth 870 when I was 12 and it's one of my treasures.
  19. dds115

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I don't plan on doing too many breach and clears, so I doubt I need tactical :)

Sounds like I'm pulling towards a 12ga. Nova. Now I don't want to wait 3 months to go get it :)
  20. CTeamPoke

I would go 12ga. More versatile.