Signing Day

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
I know for a fact we did not recruit Koby Tillman from Bixby until the very end of the process. He wasn't a 3/4* guy according to the rankings and would have been one of our best players this year and a future start at MLB just because of how he played the game. So, we don't go after the stars and apparently we also don't go after the instate guys that have proven they can flat play regardless of their ranking. Something doesn't add up.

Garrett Mills (Tulsa and then the NFL) and Jay Henry (West Virginia) from Jenks were prime examples as well. But Gundy wasn't the coach then.

David Montgomery (ISU all Big XII)

Josh Jacobs (McClain HS and Alabama) - virtually unrecruited in this area.
I sure wish that we would've recruited Kentrell Brothers out of Guthrie as well. He ended being an All-American at Missouri before getting drafted. He's still a backup with the Vikings.

Recruiting is definitely an inexact science. Every team misses out on great players. It's tough to see us miss out on great players in our own back yard though.

BTW, I think you're confusing David Montgomery with Mike Warren out of Lawton.

Feb 18, 2009
I sure wish that we would've recruited Kentrell Brothers out of Guthrie as well. He ended being an All-American at Missouri before getting drafted. He's still a backup with the Vikings.

Recruiting is definitely an inexact science. Every team misses out on great players. It's tough to see us miss out on great players in our own back yard though.

BTW, I think you're confusing David Montgomery with Mike Warren out of Lawton.
Yep - it was Warren.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Dude, you are such a clown. We don't *consistently* recruit high-level defensive players. We all know that. Our constantly crappy defense reflects that. You can't just pick one guy (who just so happens to be an in-state player, which makes things easier) and be like, "see, see, wE tOtAlLy ReCrUiT gOoD dEfEnSe GuYs".

Let the record stand: One guy does not, a trend, reverse. Have a nice day.
First off thanks I am having a nice day. Off work and having some fun but thought a response was needed. Second I see that you are one that goes for personal attacks once you have someone that has any thought different than your own, duly noted.

So question, where did I once say that we "wE tOtAlLy ReCrUiT gOoD dEfEnSe GuYs"? Are you confusing me with someone else? I simply pointed out that your absolute statement was wrong (and I quote in case you forgot what you said), "Ah yes, that side which we do not pursue any five-stars on... :thumbdown:". That clearly is an incorrect statement as I pointed out that we DID in fact pursue a five star defensive player (actually two if you go by 247 rankings).

So I had a lot more typed up on this but decided that it is a nice day and I am not going to spend it arguing with someone that has their mind made up and would be better going and cheering for a different team like OU or Alabama anyway with his expectations. We are who we are and in fact who we are has a LOT to do with Gundy so I for one am not ready to toss him aside because we did not place high enough in the mythical recruiting championship rankings. Can he improve? Sure he can but he is already. The real answer is can we get the players we need to beat the teams on our schedule, no matter what they are ranked in recruiting. Historically that has been an absolute yes with the exception of ONE team. As far as that team goes it is the last hurdle to clear as once we start beating them consistently we should be winning conference titles and being in the playoff regularly.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I'm reminded of an Independence Bowl game in 2006 when we played Alabama in Shreveport.

Alabama and Oklahoma State came into the bowl game with identical 6-6 regular season records.
Bama was coached by interim coach, Joe Kines, after firing headcoach Mike Shula.
Oklahoma State was coached by Mike Gundy.

OSU went on to beat Alabama.

Bama hired Nick Saban in January.
OSU still has Mike Gundy.

Two programs. Two different trajectories. Two different philosophies. Two different futures.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Bama hired Nick Saban in January.
OSU still has Mike Gundy.

Two programs. Two different trajectories. Two different philosophies. Two different futures.
Two different histories, two different fan bases, and two different budgets for sure. Actually the benefit of hindsight shows both were to trend upward for the next decade following that bowl game.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Honestly i'd rather have a 3* guy who feels he was disrespected by not getting a 4* or 5* who's hungry to prove others wrong that he is the best at his position than a 5* guy who is lazy and just wants to wait his 2 years to go to the NFL.
You're assuming those traits are more prevalent in those respective ratings but there is zero evidence of that. I'm sure there are both hungry and lazy 5 stars just as there are both hungry and lazy 3 stars. I would much rather have a 4 or 5 star who works his butt off.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
You're assuming those traits are more prevalent in those respective ratings but there is zero evidence of that. I'm sure there are both hungry and lazy 5 stars just as there are both hungry and lazy 3 stars. I would much rather have a 4 or 5 star who works his butt off.
Thank you. The whole "the guys with lower ratings are hungry to prove people wrong" trope is such a lazy assessment. Make no mistake, there are definitely guys in the NFL, who played for Prairie View A&M or wherever, that are really good. But they are exceptions to the rule.

All of the NFL's best players come from big schools, generally speaking.

Andrew Luck, Stanford; Todd Gurley, Georgia; Russell Wilson, Wisconsin; Tom Brady, Michigan; JuJu Smith Schuster, USC; Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina...so on and so forth.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Thank you. The whole "the guys with lower ratings are hungry to prove people wrong" trope is such a lazy assessment. Make no mistake, there are definitely guys in the NFL, who played for Prairie View A&M or wherever, that are really good. But they are exceptions to the rule.

All of the NFL's best players come from big schools, generally speaking.

Andrew Luck, Stanford; Todd Gurley, Georgia; Russell Wilson, Wisconsin; Tom Brady, Michigan; JuJu Smith Schuster, USC; Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina...so on and so forth.
I wouldn't say Clowney is one of the best, but I agree with your point. A majority of the better ones come from bigger schools.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
He's tied for 20th in sacks. Not bad, but again I wouldn't say one of the best. I mean Bortles has more guaranteed money than he does and that dude is worse than the trash Long John Silvers dumpsters collect. Sure Clowney is going to have a longer/ more successful career. His talent is insane, but I wouldn't take him over: Watt, Donald, Miller, Garrett, Jordan, Mack, etc.