1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

So Much for "All Men Are Created Equal"?

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by metallicajake, Nov 5, 2008.

1. metallicajake

metallicajake Cowboy

reference.
  2. metallicajake

metallicajake Cowboy

"and those which exist are established by God." blah blah blah.

God who? which God? is this statement in the Qur'an? the Torah? is it universally accepted by very man, woman, and child in the US?

if not, then please don't cite it as "proof" or "reasoning" for anything civil.
  3. steross

A/V Subscriber steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop

For streetwalkers that is true. For the legal and highly regulated Nevada brothels, not so much. The women are just as safe as a masseuse at a spa. With weekly health checks and mandatory condom use, the health risks are limited. Definitely a safer job than working an oilfield or mine.
  4. metallicajake

metallicajake Cowboy

right, and kudos to you for being a good father.

but, i would guess that you don't want them to be gay.
  5. metallicajake

metallicajake Cowboy

right. there you go. a perfectly logical explanation of a law some would cite as "proof that we make laws based on morals".
  6. metallicajake

metallicajake Cowboy

lol, Rx, you're always welcome to say that you're more holy than me.
  7. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Well..... it was taken from the Bible and not the Qur'an etc......
  8. metallicajake

metallicajake Cowboy

ok, well not everyone in the US follows the Bible. some follow the Qur'an, some follow the Torah, some don't follow anything at all.

and yet you think it right to use it as basis for the laws of those people?
  9. metallicajake

metallicajake Cowboy

damn that pesky American ideal of giving the people a nation in which all peoples can worship freely!

hrmm... are you friends with Sean Hannity?
  10. snuffy

Staff A/V Subscriber snuffy Deep Thoughts.

Who is we buddy? God does that, not you. You may get to carry the message, but you have nothing to offer except a road map. A map whose image a be diminished by those who give it out when they stand in judgment and wag the finger of scorn on others,
  11. GoPokes82

GoPokes82 Cowboy

You should provide more proof of that. I believe the scripture is telling us to submit to the "governing authorities" because God has placed them in the position of authority over us on earth. How exactly is that separate?
  12. GoPokes82

GoPokes82 Cowboy

Your post does not make any sense at all. I'm talking about Jewish law and how the Jewish people are to follow it to set them apart from the rest of the world. What exactly does that have to do with people worshipping freely?

I don't know who Sean Hannity is so I couldn't be friends with the person. However, I can tell you that Jesus told the Jews that they missed out and then opened up His kingdom for the rest of the world because of their (Jews) lack of faith.

Matthew 22:1-14 speaks exactly how God saw Israel and how the Gentiles are accepted into the Kingdom of God.

13. metallicajake

metallicajake Cowboy

you were citing a difference between *your* law and Jewish law, were you not?
  14. Cimarron

In a society that is basically Christian, yes. As I have said before a society is pulled together with people that have the same basic values and morals. That is why they live where they do. That is why you choose many of the friends that you do.

I don't prefer to live in a society that has different values and morals. I don't believe that a society can be strong when within that same society or government there is one law for you and another different law for me.
  15. OSUGuy1

OSUGuy1 Greenhorn

I have no written proof but I know TWO pairs of identical twins that are both homosexual.
  16. Cimarron

Cherry picking is statistically meaningless.
  17. GoPokes82

GoPokes82 Cowboy

You got me. There is a difference between the Jewish law and "my" law. The difference is, I can eat things they cannot and wear clothes that they cannot. :rolleyes:

How exactly does that deal with worshipping freely?
  18. panhandler62

panhandler62 Cowboy

It doesn't.

What does effect our religious freedom is a governing interest in religion. If we begin to justify our law based on a particular religious tradition then we are, in fact if not name, establishing a state religion.

That doesn't sound to bad if that is *your* religion being established, but I think most of us would be right put out if we started seeing statutory law premised on the Sharia.
  19. JLK Jr.

JLK Jr. Greenhorn

Exactly right.
  20. GoPokes82

GoPokes82 Cowboy

People vote to their opinions, no?

If my opinion is to keep sexual immortality at bay as much as possible because of my "religion," then it is my option to do so. No?