Speaking of Mayfield vs Rudolph

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
You know what I've noticed lately? The talking heads, nfl guys, scouts, and the espns of the world are all talking about who is the premeir qb of the draft. I keep hearing about who will be first? Mayfield, Rosen ,and even the pretender Darnold getting lots of love. You know what i havent seen much of? Rudolph talk. For years right here on this board we were bombarded with Mayfield will be sacking groceries in 3 years and Rudolph will be in the pros living it up. Starting to look like Mayfield will be living off his first round payday for a while before he his career change in the supermarket industry.

Last edited:

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
The talking heads do seem to like Mayfield, and it looks like he will be a 1st round pick, probably ahead of Rudolph. The game in the NFL is continuously evolving, and QBs with Mayfield's skill set are having more success now than they did 5 or 10 years ago. I am admittedly biased and haven't seen him play much, but I don't see it. Mayfield seems to mostly out-athlete everyone in college. But he won't be able to do that in the NFL. He isn't Cam Newton. Can he be Russell Wilson? I guess we will see. Ultimately for QBs, and this will be true for Rudolph as well, it will not come down to whether they are fast enough or have a strong enough arm. It will come down whether or not their brain can keep pace with the game in the NFL. So much going on, so much to see and react to, so little margin for error. Deshaun Watson was the exception. Mayfield and Rudolph will both need to improve considerably before they can have success in the NFL.

Either way, this is a very interesting off season for the NFL.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Yeah, he probably won't be sacking groceries. He'll be the next Air Comfort Solutions spokesman.
I think his ceiling is much higher than White's was. Mayfield will be drafted high.

Don't get to excited, the young ass hat will find a way to screw it up.
Well, all that screwing up got him this far

The talking heads do seem to like Mayfield, and it looks like he will be a 1st round pick, probably ahead of Rudolph. The game in the NFL is continuously evolving, and QBs with Mayfield's skill set are having more success now than they did 5 or 10 years ago. I am admittedly biased and haven't seen him play much, but I don't see it. Mayfield seems to mostly out-athlete everyone in college. But he won't be able to do that in the NFL. He isn't Cam Newton. Can he be Russell Wilson? I guess we will see. Ultimately for QBs, and this will be true for Rudolph as well, it will not come down to whether they are fast enough or have a strong enough arm. It will come down whether or not their brain can keep pace with the game in the NFL. So much going on, so much to see and react to, so little margin for error. Deshaun Watson was the exception. Mayfield and Rudolph will both need to improve considerably before they can have success in the NFL.

Either way, this is a very interesting off season for the NFL.
You dont see it? you dont see what he's done to be such an efficient qb? I may not like osu but i can certainly see what makes Rudolph a good qb and a good pro prospect. Obviously you havent seen much of him if that's what you think though. He did not just out athlete people, you may be thinking of lamar jackson. Mayfield is quick enough to avoid sacks long enough to buy time for someone to get open, then he finds that person a high percentage of the time. His downfield vision and accuracy are both spectacular. He doesnt fall into the trap of using his athleticism to get rescued after his first read, he checks down receivers and finds the open guy, and uses athleticism to buy time if necessary. I like Mayfield's chances because he is not a happy feet type who cant stand in the pocket and make good decisions. He can do that , but can also buy time in a way most qbs cant, so that is a valuable skill to have, but it's not the reason he's so good. that's a trap guys like kaepernick and jackson fall to.

That all said, the RPO in which Mayfield excels is the same offense Philly won the super bowl with. More and more teams are using it and i bet someone out there will want to get someone who runs it well. I didnt think he'd be a first rounder either, even after last year. but after this past season, he kind of made believers out of a lot of people.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
All this talk about the draft and you know whose name I haven’t heard much? Mason Rudolph. Just tumbleweeds. All that talk about Rudolph being a sure fire nfl guy and Mayfield will be sacking groceries or fixing air conditioners.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
You’re talking to the same crowd that called a Heisman winner a screw up. Not sure credit will ever be given where credit is due in that regard. They simply aren’t capable of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
You’re talking to the same crowd that called a Heisman winner a screw up. Not sure credit will ever be given where credit is due in that regard. They simply aren’t capable of it.

The same crowd that talked bad about Mayfield for running from the cops and yelling obscenities on TV? Oh so we were supposed to keep our mouths shut when all that happened? STFU with all that. If that was Rudolph who ran around acting like a complete jackass for the last couple of years, we'd never hear the end of it from sooner fans.

You guys should probably hold off on all this excitement anyway until actual games are played in the NFL and something is accomplished besides draft hype.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

Ah hell Mayfield has gotten all the credit he could ever need to this point in his career. He's already more decorated than any qb in poke history. Hell he has more rings than all the players at osu combined and has thrice as many as the mullet himself.

I just find it humorous how all they did was shit talk Mayfield for years about his chances at the next level once they discovered how much better he is than Rudolph.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
The same crowd that talked bad about Mayfield for running from the cops and yelling obscenities on TV? Oh so we were supposed to keep our mouths shut when all that happened? STFU with all that. If that was Rudolph who ran around acting like a complete jackass for the last couple of years, we'd never hear the end of it from sooner fans.

You guys should probably hold off on all this excitement anyway until actual games are played in the NFL and something is accomplished besides draft hype.
I'll wager a bet right now with ganja boy or typical dumbass that mouth mayfield never utters a F"u or middle finger to an opposing defense or bench...takers?

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Ah hell Mayfield has gotten all the credit he could ever need to this point in his career. He's already more decorated than any qb in poke history. Hell he has more rings than all the players at osu combined and has thrice as many as the mullet himself.

I just find it humorous how all they did was shit talk Mayfield for years about his chances at the next level once they discovered how much better he is than Rudolph.
Hey hypocrite, YOU agreed that Rudolph was going to be a better pro qb when it was mentioned in the past. You should probably get back to changing hard drives.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

He's accomplished quite a bit, he's already a legend in Norman and one of the best college qbs ever. That's an impressive legacy so if he never plays a single down in the nfl he's done incredibly well for himself in the football world. And at this point unless he murders someone in the next couple weeks he'll be a millionaire too.

Then all you'll have left to hate on are a couple of relatively meaningless incidents that amounted to nothing; i.e. not affecting his play on the field, ability to win awards, get drafted or even succeed at the next level.

And nope if rudolph did any of the things mayfield did, i would not really care either. It's not that big of a deal. I do however think if he did, you wouldnt care either.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
He's accomplished quite a bit, he's already a legend in Norman and one of the best college qbs ever. That's an impressive legacy so if he never plays a single down in the nfl he's done incredibly well for himself in the football world. And at this point unless he murders someone in the next couple weeks he'll be a millionaire too.

Then all you'll have left to hate on are a couple of relatively meaningless incidents that amounted to nothing; i.e. not affecting his play on the field, ability to win awards, get drafted or even succeed at the next level.

And nope if rudolph did any of the things mayfield did, i would not really care either. It's not that big of a deal. I do however think if he did, you wouldnt care either.
A legend in norman, appreciate you agreeing...he's a thug, mouth, pos. Thanks for verifying. Dick.Johnny #2 on his way to the NFL.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008

Those who can do,,,those who can't spank the monkey to what they can't. Dick.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

your man crush on the candle stick maker is reaching @TypicalGooner levels of creepiness............