Spence Sanders mom tweets

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Kev_Dawg

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Gundy is so he’ll bent on holding the other QBs out for the future he never looks beyond his nose. Flash forward to 2019. Fresh pitcher of Kool aid, raises and contract extensions all around and the Pokes take the field with a QB that has never taken a live game snap. Now what?
I can’t be the only person thinking this.
I don't understand it at all. If you've got a player on the team as highly rated as Sanders, get them on the field. Holding out is just gonna waste games. If he's good, he'll be gone after 3 seasons.
It's similar to rookies on NFL teams. If they are that good, why sit them just because they're inexperienced? NFL teams don't do this. If they've got the talent they take advantage of it immediately.

I've gotta call BS on the player morale part of that interview too. He says they are in high spirits during practices, yet it is clearly the opposite during games. Something has gotta give there, I think he's feeding us a bunch of BS.

Kev_Dawg

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Especially since only a complete moron would announce it before the game..... come on.
Let's be honest here, Gundy is not that tricky/conniving. When is the last time he kept some grand scheme secret from the public and unveiled it during a game? Maybe 10 years ago, but I can't remember him doing anything like that in recent history.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Let's be honest here, Gundy is not that tricky/conniving. When is the last time he kept some grand scheme secret from the public and unveiled it during a game? Maybe 10 years ago, but I can't remember him doing anything like that in recent history.
Chelf was definitely on a short leash and it surprised most people when he got pulled against Mississippi State. When Robinson took over, Gundy kept insisting "you don't lose your job due to injury" and indicating that Reid would start. Gundy being coy about the QB switch is a large part of what Carlson covered in the infamous article. There is precedent.

Kev_Dawg

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Chelf was definitely on a short leash and it surprised most people when he got pulled against Mississippi State. When Robinson took over, Gundy kept insisting "you don't lose your job due to injury" and indicating that Reid would start. Gundy being coy about the QB switch is a large part of what Carlson covered in the infamous article. There is precedent.
I think this situation is different. It's the middle of the season and no other QB has even sniffed the field except Wudtee, who is irrelevant anyway. Chelf/Walsh was actually a QB battle from what I can remember.
This isn't about who should be the starter, it's about simply giving someone new a chance because the offense is struggling
I wouldn't consider that as trickery in an effort to surprise someone, more like being obtuse/wishy washy with the media.

In this case, what he has said and done with the QB 100% matches what he has told the media. I highly doubt it's part of some plan to surprise Texas. It would be nice if I'm wrong, but based on how things have gone this season I'm pretty confident about my guess.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
I didn't make my point clear enough.

What if Cornelius is actually the best option? I hope that's not the case. But if it is and we bench him because we're afraid of a freshman's mom it's worse.

No one on here has actually seen Brown or Sanders play with our team and knows how they compare.
That’s not entirely true. I have a vendor that is an NCAA official. He called two scrimmages this fall. He came out saying Brown would be the starter and he thought Spencer would get some reps. When I last talked to him he said he can’t believe what’s happening based on what he saw live. Take it or leave it.

Dec 19, 2012
Gundy made a decision based on the things he told us:
1. Dru and Spencer got to campus to late to be serious contendors to start game one.
2. Gundy and the coaches debated how to use the new redshirt rule of four games.
3. Gundy does not want to burn a redshirt on this season for the following reasons:
A. Our Oline is bad, so there is a higher likelihood they get hurt (same reason we don't run Justice more).
B. He wants a true two deep at QB next year.
C. Our D is so bad in an implementation year it won't matter who is QB.
(All of those things should be better next year.)

I highly expect we see Dru/Spencer this year, but I don't expect it until the OU game (3 regular season games, and a bowl game). A curve ball could be to play one four then the other four, but it's high risk if you get an injury.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I think this situation is different. It's the middle of the season and no other QB has even sniffed the field except Wudtee, who is irrelevant anyway. Chelf/Walsh was actually a QB battle from what I can remember.
This isn't about who should be the starter, it's about simply giving someone new a chance because the offense is struggling
I wouldn't consider that as trickery in an effort to surprise someone, more like being obtuse/wishy washy with the media.

In this case, what he has said and done with the QB 100% matches what he has told the media. I highly doubt it's part of some plan to surprise Texas. It would be nice if I'm wrong, but based on how things have gone this season I'm pretty confident about my guess.
I'm not saying Gundy is going to make the change. I think he won't against Texas, but Gundy does have a history of lying or being coy with the media when he makes QB changes. So, if and when he does, he's not going to say it beforehand.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
It’s a waste of time to expect Mike Gundy to do anything other than what his ego has in store. It’s similar to the play Calling.... we are going to throw it deep by gawd until we connect with someone regardless if we lose. We are going to make small goals and achieve them. If gundy said he doesn’t want a player injured then by gawd he is not going to play. Even if he has a year or more to recover from some phantom planned injury that Gundy has conjured in his head. He knows what’s best and by gawd if it doesn’t work then it’s time to go turtle hunting.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Gundy made a decision based on the things he told us:
1. Dru and Spencer got to campus to late to be serious contendors to start game one.
2. Gundy and the coaches debated how to use the new redshirt rule of four games.
3. Gundy does not want to burn a redshirt on this season for the following reasons:
A. Our Oline is bad, so there is a higher likelihood they get hurt (same reason we don't run Justice more).
B. He wants a true two deep at QB next year.
C. Our D is so bad in an implementation year it won't matter who is QB.
(All of those things should be better next year.)

I highly expect we see Dru/Spencer this year, but I don't expect it until the OU game (3 regular season games, and a bowl game). A curve ball could be to play one four then the other four, but it's high risk if you get an injury.
Is it really that high of a risk, though? Aside from a broken bone or ACL/MCL tear or Achilles injury, IF they were to get injured, the season's more than halfway done, they'd have time to rehab. But I think the risk is worth taking.

Dec 19, 2012
Is it really that high of a risk, though? Aside from a broken bone or ACL/MCL tear or Achilles injury, IF they were to get injured, the season's more than halfway done, they'd have time to rehab. But I think the risk is worth taking.
I think it is. Have you ever had a broken bone? You don't get to workout, you don't get reps, your timing is off, you have to feel it out and may be timid, and it likely won't feel completely right even after you're a go. I'd say a full year of recovery to be back to "normal" with no setbacks and you missed a year of reps/chemistry/stregnth.
For Justice, it could mean a huge difference in draft stock and how much he makes.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I think it is. Have you ever had a broken bone? You don't get to workout, you don't get reps, your timing is off, you have to feel it out and may be timid, and it likely won't feel completely right even after you're a go. I'd say a full year of recovery to be back to "normal" with no setbacks and you missed a year of reps/chemistry/stregnth.
For Justice, it could mean a huge difference in draft stock and how much he makes.
You can get hurt in practice without contact, this is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. People get hurt all the time if Kolby Peel hasn't gotten hurt and he's played every game, Jarick Bernard has also played in every game both are freshmen and both play a whole lot of football. Darian Daniels got hurt in practice. Spencer Sanders isn't a fragile little flower he's a football player and he is aware of the danger of playing football. If the coach doesn't want him to play because he's afraid he will be injured perhaps he should be coaching soccer or flag football.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I figure both Brown and Spencer will get plenty of playing time the last 20 quarters in the season, once it does not affect their redshirt.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. My honest reading of the tea leaves is that Gundy wants a full two deep at QB next year with an open QB battle and to have the option to play any of them thisnyear in case someone gets hurt, which seems likely with this o line. Not saying I agree with it, but that seems like his logic.