Spencer Sanders Update

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I think Teachum sums things up very well. Things are never as bad or as good as they seem for OSU. I am also taking a wait and see approach with the defense. Yes they looked great but we need to see them against a Big 12 offense. For example, they looked great against Boise a few years back and then trailed off as conference play started.
I agree but keep in mind that Tulsa's offense is likely better than most Big 12 offenses (obviously not OU). I mean their QB beat OU when he was at Baylor with a monster performance and their coach was part of the Baylor super offense. Tulsa was missing their main RB though but I am still very impressed by our defense.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'll believe in the D when it doesn't give up a 3rd and 13 for two consecutive games.
I understand what you are saying Colorado, but they didn't give up a 3rd and anything...all game. Tulsa was 0 fer on 3rd down. I'm not sure when, if ever, we have done that against anyone? Re-watch the game only watching our defense. It's very impressive.

Oct 30, 2007
I'll believe in the D when it doesn't give up a 3rd and 13 for two consecutive games.
I understand what you are saying Colorado, but they didn't give up a 3rd and anything...all game. Tulsa was 0 fer on 3rd down. I'm not sure when, if ever, we have done that against anyone? Re-watch the game only watching our defense. It's very impressive.
I cannot remember far enough back on the Ofer for 3rd downs. Of course we used to rush three and drop EVERYONE 20 yards (yes, 3rd and 4, no one other than dL within 20 yards of los) under our previous DCs. Knowles is getting me to at least consider buying but he is fighting 30 years of skepticism. I love seeing DBs actually playing defense. Tanner is FAST.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
I think Teachum sums things up very well. Things are never as bad or as good as they seem for OSU. I am also taking a wait and see approach with the defense. Yes they looked great but we need to see them against a Big 12 offense. For example, they looked great against Boise a few years back and then trailed off as conference play started.
I agree but keep in mind that Tulsa's offense is likely better than most Big 12 offenses (obviously not OU). I mean their QB beat OU when he was at Baylor with a monster performance and their coach was part of the Baylor super offense. Tulsa was missing their main RB though but I am still very impressed by our defense.
By most I am assuming you mean kansases.

NinjaPoke

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Here's the road ahead. Our next two opponents are WVU and KU back to back. After that, we'll have a bye week.
I believe that Illingworth and co. should be able to win against WVU and KU.

If Illingworth is QB1 for those two games, that means there will be four weeks of healing for Sanders to come back to the field to play BAYLOR on October 17th. After Baylor, it's Iowa State. Week after that, a top 10 TEXAS.

If Sanders debuts again for Baylor, it may be rocky, but the Baylor and Iowa State should dust the rust off for him when Texas comes in on Halloween

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Here's the road ahead. Our next two opponents are WVU and KU back to back. After that, we'll have a bye week.

If Illingworth is QB1 for those two games, that means there will be four weeks of healing for Sanders to come back to the field to play BAYLOR on October 17th. After Baylor, it's Iowa State. Week after that, a top 10 TEXAS.

If Sanders debuts again for Baylor, it may be rocky, but the Baylor and Iowa State should dust the rust off for him when Texas comes in on Halloween
Through unconfirmed "media report" 2 offense line dudes had surgery today. As I said "unconfirmed". maybe the pay sites know more.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Through unconfirmed "media report" 2 offense line dudes had surgery today. As I said "unconfirmed". maybe the pay sites know more.
We can pull a “Baylor” and say they have Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 29, 2016
US
I hope Sanders can play. I expect a tough game from WVU.
Sanders is obviously very injury prone. He had a severe injury his senior season and now has multiple injuries in his waning tenure as OSU QB.

Since Gundy insists on insane pay raises for himself, he has struck out on o-line coaches who can actually recruit, because he wants all the money to himself. It's either that, or he is a terrible evaluator of o-line coaching talent. The entire o-line situation has been a disaster ever since Wickline left, and there's not one person who could possibly suggest otherwise with a straight face.

From absolutely terrible recruiters to, well, absolutely terrible recruiters, OSU's dual-threat QB's have paid an extremely heavy price because of the disastrous o-line fiasco. Actually, go ahead and include Lunt and Rudolph. Lunt never stood a chance because he was too busy being plowed by d-linemen and linebackers.. he was also slow. Rudolph was a quick thinker, and more mobile than Lunt. Fortunately, Rudolph was quick enough in decision making, and just barely "fast" enough to avoid being pancaked on every play.

Back to Sanders. The reason why Gundy wants dual-threat QB's, is because of the disaster that has befallen the oline since Wickline's departure. JW Walsh paid a heavy price (Walsh also had a season ending injury during his senior year). Same with Sanders.

Unfortunately for Sanders, his style of play, combined with absolutely dreadful o-line "talent," means he will be another Walsh. Evidence? Last season, and this season. Injury. Injury.

If OSU is to have a consistent QB, instead of switching back and forth during a season, which has become a norm, he's gonna have to somehow fix Sanders' very slow decision making process, and Sanders' ego. Sanders very much wants to be a run first QB, and he wants it badly. Just rewatch every game he's played. Or, if Shane comes in and proves he's good enough to be starting QB, Gundy should allow his own gigantically inflated ego to deflate, and realize his dream of a successful offensive of his design, well, is over.

Shane is the future. I will bet my house. I guarantee the offense will shine, even though he's still basically a senior, given lack of experience during practice. If that does happen, I bet Gundy will STILL allow his ego to run wild and will remove Shane, and install Sanders, only for another injury to occur. An ego is not your friend. It ruins everything that once was outstandingly good.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

If true not good. Making an already thin line even thinner.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Sanders is obviously very injury prone. He had a severe injury his senior season and now has multiple injuries in his waning tenure as OSU QB.

Since Gundy insists on insane pay raises for himself, he has struck out on o-line coaches who can actually recruit, because he wants all the money to himself. It's either that, or he is a terrible evaluator of o-line coaching talent. The entire o-line situation has been a disaster ever since Wickline left, and there's not one person who could possibly suggest otherwise with a straight face.

From absolutely terrible recruiters to, well, absolutely terrible recruiters, OSU's dual-threat QB's have paid an extremely heavy price because of the disastrous o-line fiasco. Actually, go ahead and include Lunt and Rudolph. Lunt never stood a chance because he was too busy being plowed by d-linemen and linebackers.. he was also slow. Rudolph was a quick thinker, and more mobile than Lunt. Fortunately, Rudolph was quick enough in decision making, and just barely "fast" enough to avoid being pancaked on every play.

Back to Sanders. The reason why Gundy wants dual-threat QB's, is because of the disaster that has befallen the oline since Wickline's departure. JW Walsh paid a heavy price (Walsh also had a season ending injury during his senior year). Same with Sanders.

Unfortunately for Sanders, his style of play, combined with absolutely dreadful o-line "talent," means he will be another Walsh. Evidence? Last season, and this season. Injury. Injury.

If OSU is to have a consistent QB, instead of switching back and forth during a season, which has become a norm, he's gonna have to somehow fix Sanders' very slow decision making process, and Sanders' ego. Sanders very much wants to be a run first QB, and he wants it badly. Just rewatch every game he's played. Or, if Shane comes in and proves he's good enough to be starting QB, Gundy should allow his own gigantically inflated ego to deflate, and realize his dream of a successful offensive of his design, well, is over.

Shane is the future. I will bet my house. I guarantee the offense will shine, even though he's still basically a senior, given lack of experience during practice. If that does happen, I bet Gundy will STILL allow his ego to run wild and will remove Shane, and install Sanders, only for another injury to occur. An ego is not your friend. It ruins everything that once was outstandingly good.
Holy cow, you'd think our offense has totally sucked for years.

Jan 13, 2005

Texas on Halloween? I'm getting Vince Young flashbacks