Spencer Sanders Update

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
We have both options, so I think it makes sense to seek an offense that produced a very dynamic offense that took us to an elite level versus ones (from the 80's) that get us to maybe 9 wins and a random bowl game.
I don't think it's that simple. We all agree we have two viable options at QB. But you have to look at our other personnel. Say, for instance, we have an O-line that sucks at run blocking and excels at holding a pocket. Or maybe we don't have many great options at receiver. Maybe you have a stellar defense and an o-line that can run block like a champ so you're gonna play ball control and kill them with D. I agree that we HAVE to be able to pass in this day in age. But I don't think you throw away a Robinson style offense just because its not the newest thing on the market.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I don't think it's that simple. We all agree we have two viable options at QB. But you have to look at our other personnel. Say, for instance, we have an O-line that sucks at run blocking and excels at holding a pocket. Or maybe we don't have many great options at receiver. Maybe you have a stellar defense and an o-line that can run block like a champ so you're gonna play ball control and kill them with D. I agree that we HAVE to be able to pass in this day in age. But I don't think you throw away a Robinson style offense just because its not the newest thing on the market.
I'm not suggesting we throw away a read option offense on the premise that it's outdated. My preference for a different style is based on current conditions and ambitions for our team.

1. Read option isn't great when your o-line is relatively weak (which has been the case since Wickline left), and it's especially bad if you want to win the conference or compete for the CFP. You need an elite o-line to pull that off, and we're very far from elite.
2. At the very least, we should be passing to open up the run game, not the other way around. If our o-line is weak (it is), then why do we keep running into stacked boxes and/or running so often? Get creative; help the o-line out by using quick pass plays, spreading the field, and using screens to slow down the rush. Slants, drags, quick in's, RB/TE angle routes, etc... Get the ball out quickly to take pressure off of them. It's not like we lack the personnel to do this.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I might even say we have 3 viable qbs. I’d like to see a plan laid out for him instead of running SS offense. Seemed like a huge hitting quarterback. Not fair not to have option plays in there for him.

Big Daddy

Banned
Banned
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Gundy always has and always will just want to win the game. 1 pt is fine.

So if we have a lead and the defense is holding up, he's fine with playing 3-n-out with the other team.

So with our current D and that mentality, don't expect any exciting offense.

Now if the D struggles vs a high powered offense, then I expect that he'll open up our offense. But until that happens, he won't.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
We could do a lot worse than CornDog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris Smith, Al Pena, Alex Cate, Daxx Garman, Ethan Bullock, Dru Brown to name a few. There were times when Corndog looked very good. There were other times, of course. But there were times when he looked very good.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Gundy always has and always will just want to win the game. 1 pt is fine.

So if we have a lead and the defense is holding up, he's fine with playing 3-n-out with the other team.

So with our current D and that mentality, don't expect any exciting offense.

Now if the D struggles vs a high powered offense, then I except that he'll open up our offense. But until that happens, he won't.
Yeah.....it doesn't really work that way. You can't just "open up our offense" when needed if we don't practice it or run it regularly in games. Why wait until you're under pressure to be aggressive? It all goes back to his philosophy of "safety in simplicity". That works until you face teams with superior athleticism, at which point you're trying to run a new offense while under pressure against a superior opponent. It just seems like a weak, lazy approach that has little chance of getting us further than 2nd place in the Big 12 and a random bowl game. There's no way that strategy will win the Big 12 or get us to the CFP, not with the athletes we can get across the board at OSU.

And the crux of the issue is this; nobody is upset about finishing 2nd in the Big 12 in and of itself. We're upset, because we have the potential to do better, but Gundy's "safety in simplicity" philosophy is holding us back. You're not gonna win against the big boys with "safety in simplicity". Safety, security, and simplicity are not good approaches for elite success.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I prefer the aggressive approach both when it comes to offense or defense. Score as much as you can as soon as you can and get backups some experience. Run your offense regardless of the opponent, it's their job to stop you. Defense get off the field as soon as possible and have the other team worrying/guessing where the pressure is coming from. I would rather get burned for a long TD (see WVU) than continually give up first downs. Better to lose being too aggressive than lose because you didn't do enough or trying to win in the 4th Quarter.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Chris Smith, Al Pena, Alex Cate, Daxx Garman, Ethan Bullock, Dru Brown to name a few. There were times when Corndog looked very good. There were other times, of course. But there were times when he looked very good.
Corndog was arguably better than anything we have right now as far as results.......maybe not ultimate potential but specifically results. Hopefully that will change very soon!

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
It’s tough not rushing back from injury, but getting SS back to play vs KU seems like the ideal game to come back on. Scrimmage level competition for SS to get back up to speed who I think needs the reps to get to mid-season form

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
It’s tough not rushing back from injury, but getting SS back to play vs KU seems like the ideal game to come back on. Scrimmage level competition for SS to get back up to speed who I think needs the reps to get to mid-season form

Hopefully he plays enough to shake off the rust and then we get a big lead and turn it over to Shane. Best of both worlds

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Uh, Illingworth looked like a snail out there. He is not very mobile at all.
He is 6'5 and moves faster than he looks.

Besides, I wouldn't trust your judgement on this at all. You seem to only be able to view things glass half empty, and we saw how accurate you were about our last game. Are you predicting a loss to Kansas this week?

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
He is 6'5 and moves faster than he looks.

Besides, I wouldn't trust your judgement on this at all. You seem to only be able to view things glass half empty, and we saw how accurate you were about our last game. Are you predicting a loss to Kansas this week?
I didn't realize I was such a "glass half empty" type. You want to talk about how accurate I was on the last game, i.e. OSU/Tulsa? I predicted a 13-7 win. Gee, I was off by three. What was your prediction?