St. Johns and HCMB

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I thought you didn't have to worry about someone stealing your coach until you enjoyed some success?

Oct 30, 2007
St. John's is in a tough spot. They were turned down by Bobby Hurley at Arizona State. They were turned down again today by Porter Moser at Chicago-Loyola. It kind of makes you wonder if they won't end up having to pay a lofty salary to hire their next coach.

Coach Boynton is slated to make $1.725M next season. If St John's offered him a large raise, would we match it? Can you justify that coming off of a 12-20 season?

I really like Coach Boynton and this coaching staff. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can accomplish with this program as they build through recruiting. I hope this doesn't materialize.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Please, see www.gopokes.com article on this topic! Says Boynton & Tulsa’s head coach share same agent. Believes St John’s was contacting the agent concerning Frank Haith.........not Boynton. Hopefully HC Boynton speaks/tweets soon to state the facts.
Yeah, let's hear what Boynton has to say, because that gopokes article is just guessing that they may have been wanting to talk to Haith. Sounds like that guy doesn't know anymore than the rest of us.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
It sounds like they have interest in Billy Donovan if the Thunder let him go, but not hearing much about Boynton. They are supposed to begin playing their home games at Madison Square Gardens and they have some high quality players returning, but Mullens wasn't a very good coach. A rich alumni has interest in hiring a top coach. I could see Boynton leaving if they offer him a substantial raise and New York and the Big East is a easy area to recruit top quality players. St. John's is a Big Catholic University with rich alumni donors.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Why would they have interest in Haith? He hasn't done much at MU or TU. I think they have interest in Billy Donovan who grew up in New York and he is Roman Catholic. I think they are just looking around if Donovan is not let go as expected after OKC is out of the playoffs after this weekend. If Boynton was interested why would he still be signing basketball players for next year? Maybe all the Doug Gottlieb bandwagon fans get the hirer Doug going if we lose anther HC. Only OSU alumni seems to stick in Stillwater!!!

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Boynton is 33-35 in two seasons with the Cowboys.
Oklahoma State men’s basketball coach Mike Boynton is receiving interest from St. John’s, reports Zach Braziller of The New York Post. Braziller initially said Boynton declined interest from St. John’s then backpedaled on that, but didn’t confirm any interest from the Cowboys coach for the job.
Boynton is 33-35 and 13-23 in Big 12 conference play in two seasons at OSU and has built a strong recruiting class in Stillwater. St. John’s is seeking a new coach after Chris Mullin, a Hall of Fame player and alumnus, stepped down April 9 after four seasons at the helm. The Red Storm went 59-73 and 20-52 in Big East play with one NCAA tournament appearance this past March with Mullin.
The St. John’s sales pitch to Boynton is for him to return to New York City, where he attended Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School in Brooklyn. St. John’s is located in Queens and plays some home games at Madison Square Garden.
Source: Cowboys Ride For Free

Oct 29, 2016
US
If this comes into fruition I'm officially finished with the basketball program, for years.. I can't take it anymore. I freaking love OSU sports, specifically basketball and football.

After what followed the unfortunate Eddie Sutton situation, it's been nothing but disappointment after disappointment after disappointment. Repeat over and over

If I were to guess, Boynton may be using the opportunity to receive a raise (speculation), I will turn into full Hulk mode and smash St. John's arena, if this materializes.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
What a total mess. If St John's offers him Holder can't really offer him much, he hasn't won anything yet. I never thought it would go this low. At least Kruger shot down the UCLA rumors quickly, there's only crickets chirping from Boynton.

Oct 29, 2016
US
What a total mess. If St John's offers him Holder can't really offer him much, he hasn't won anything yet. I never thought it would go this low. At least Kruger shot down the UCLA rumors quickly, there's only crickets chirping from Boynton.
And a top-150 recruit will announce his collegiate destination tomorrow (OSU, Texas Tech, and Texas AM)

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
In 2019, it’s better to be first with gossip than accurate with news. I don’t get worked up about twitter posts unless it comes from a verified post of someone who has a lot of credibility... this is the New York Post. They are not exactly known for doing a good job investigating, or having journalistic integrity for that matter.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The timing of this is almost too coincidental to believe. With I think two schollys still open and the signing period just starting yesterday (and a 4 star recruit set to make an announcement today I believe), this kind of talk couldn't come at a worse time. I try not to buy into conspiracy theories (or start them in this case) but I wonder if somebody has started this rumor on purpose. Of course, if that were the case, HCMB could send out a tweet easily enough saying it's completely untrue so I don't know what to think.