Sunday Morning Coaches - Golden Tropical Depression edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Just a few observations from the game yesterday.

Offense: C+
The tight ends/cowboy backs blocked no one in particular, ever. They looked really good scootching sideways out of the full diamond, though.

The opening drive looked danged good, until it fizzled. Sanders needs to learn to protect himself. He's took valuable to get injured so much. There isn't much else to say about the offense until... Illingworth. It reminded me of a couple of other times true freshmen QBs took over... Mike Gundy and Mason Rudolph. There has been a LOT of over-reaction to his play (e.g. It's Alex Cate and Brandon Weeden all over again!). I'll say, he looked really good and he pulled it out for us. However, there shouldn't be any QB controversy if Sanders is healthy. Remember how many people wanted Brown over Sanders last year... until Brown was forced to play. Bullock reminded me of Chris Smith of Ponca City.

LD Brown was the better running back yesterday.

The o-line was allowing a LOT of penetration on running plays.

Defense: A-
The defense played a very solid ball game. Tackling looked improved, especially considering where we are in the pandemic and limited contact and all. 0-11 on third downs will win a lot of ball games. OTOH, Tulsa is awful, so I don't want to overstate much here.

Special teams: A
I'm saying this with great trepidation, but our young kicker looked solid.

kadune

Bitching about grad school
A/V Subscriber
Oct 4, 2008
CoMo
I know Illingworth gets a lot of credit for being the spark, but the drive before (Bullock's only sustained drive, ended with an INT) was when Jenkins was moved to the right side of the line.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
When was the last time we held a team o fer on 3rd down?

Heres a question to ponder...

if your teams best position group is wide receiver, which QB is better for that team? Especially when your second best positive group is running back?

mainly a runner or mainly a passer? I’ll hang up and listen.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

if your teams best position group is wide receiver, which QB is better for that team? Especially when your second best positive group is running back?

The one that can function behind a decimated offensive line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2009
Just a few observations from the game yesterday.

Offense: C+
The tight ends/cowboy backs blocked no one in particular, ever. They looked really good scootching sideways out of the full diamond, though.

The opening drive looked danged good, until it fizzled. Sanders needs to learn to protect himself. He's took valuable to get injured so much. There isn't much else to say about the offense until... Illingworth. It reminded me of a couple of other times true freshmen QBs took over... Mike Gundy and Mason Rudolph. There has been a LOT of over-reaction to his play (e.g. It's Alex Cate and Brandon Weeden all over again!). I'll say, he looked really good and he pulled it out for us. However, there shouldn't be any QB controversy if Sanders is healthy. Remember how many people wanted Brown over Sanders last year... until Brown was forced to play. Bullock reminded me of Chris Smith of Ponca City.

LD Brown was the better running back yesterday.

The o-line was allowing a LOT of penetration on running plays.

Defense: A-
The defense played a very solid ball game. Tackling looked improved, especially considering where we are in the pandemic and limited contact and all. 0-11 on third downs will win a lot of ball games. OTOH, Tulsa is awful, so I don't want to overstate much here.

Special teams: A
I'm saying this with great trepidation, but our young kicker looked solid.
I got up this morning expecting this thread. Went to church and lunch disappointed. Then you cane through. Solid work.

Sep 22, 2011
This team will go as far as the OL improves, we can be a really good team if they are average, if they play like they did yesterday we are in big trouble

jnewtont

Territorial Marshal
Oct 18, 2010
Tallahassee, FL

Can I get an AMEN?

Feb 18, 2009
This team will go as far as the OL improves, we can be a really good team if they are average, if they play like they did yesterday we are in big trouble
I hope you’re right. I know Gundy typically gives Mondays off but I’d have Dickey, the oline, Illingworth and WR’s all working tomorrow. Chuba can just run some laps.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004

all else being equal, the "passer". but, we don't get to play in a vacuum.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
all else being equal, the "passer". but, we don't get to play in a vacuum.
I'm glad we don't cause that would suck. :rolleyes:

What do you mean by "all else being equal?" Reality is that we have a guy hurt and we have to play the Freshman because the other guy isn't good enough. I think it will be a good trade for a little while as Sanders heals...IF the Freshman proves to be a HUGE gamer then maybe we have a QB controversy after that...we will see what happens. We all need to hope he's so good we don't have a QB controversy and we have a four / five year starter...that would honestly be awesome. All that said I wish Sanders nothing but a quick recovery and an outstanding year. We had a terrible Oline in 2014 but when Rudolph stepped in...it didn't matter nearly as much. I'm hoping this is similar.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Not to be a downer, but Rudolph stepped in very late in the season not the first game
This is true and this is not ideal...Ideally Sanders doesn't turn his ankle and we don't have to play him until next year...BUT, I have been a believer in his ability and natural gifts for a while now and I didn't think we would keep him off the field for more than a year or two tops...Just thought it would be next year and beyond that.

I actually think this will be a benefit to us that he and the other QB have had some playing time...especially since he's going to have too play and likely start next week. Hopefully Sanders heals up and gets back quickly. Ultimately at some point Shane, IMHO, is our future...It just worked out a bit early. Hope I'm right about his ability.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Not to be a downer, but Rudolph stepped in very late in the season not the first game
This is true and this is not ideal...Ideally Sanders doesn't turn his ankle and we don't have to play him until next year...BUT, I have been a believer in his ability and natural gifts for a while now and I didn't think we would keep him off the field for more than a year or two tops...Just thought it would be next year and beyond that.

I actually think this will be a benefit to us that he and the other QB have had some playing time...especially since he's going to have too play and likely start next week. Hopefully Sanders heals up and gets back quickly. Ultimately at some point Shane, IMHO, is our future...It just worked out a bit early. Hope I'm right about his ability.
Remember when Lawerence gradually unseated a returning starter in Bryant as a true freshman at Clemson. Not saying Shane has that kind of talent but he has a skill set that in the long run might be best for the offensive tools we have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I’m much happier with a 16-7 win than I would be with a 30-21 win or a 40-31 win.
Good defenses are more valuable and harder to fix.
Just like the end of last year, we (and the talking heads) need to adjust to low scoring wins by the Pokes.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
To be fair there were a different set of rules then and German was limited but serviceable.

Illingworth gets a free year and even if he didn't, he could start WVU and Kansas to give Sanders time to get healthy and still keep his redshirt. With Rudolph, he takes a snap as a freshman and he's burned his redshirt.

Plus, Daxx wasn't great, but he at least had a deep ball. Bullock, man I don't know what he did to get a scholarship but that was awful.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

OK listen here.....

Happy feet QB cannot see the field well. He trust his legs more than his arm.