Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 4 (Sand kicked in our faces Edition)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 3, 2015
Enid Oklahoma
Outside of Hill, Brailford, Bundage, Wallace and maybe Daniels, which OSU players would start for TTU?

Outside of RB and DL, which position group is OSU better than TTU?
Tyron Johnson, J.D. King, Justin Phillips, A.J. Green, Zach Sinor, Jerrell Owens & most likely Malcolm Rodriguez (and maybe McCleskey will start at Taco Teco next season) I know, good one right!

Nov 3, 2008
Tyron Johnson, J.D. King, Justin Phillips, A.J. Green, Zach Sinor, Jerrell Owens & most likely Malcolm Rodriguez (and maybe McCleskey will start at Taco Teco next season) I know, good one right!
So Tyron Johnson starts over the FBS leader in receiving yards??

Zach Sinor I'll give you, I don't really care about punters all that much but sure, you're right there. Tech's punter sucks and Sinor is good.

This wasn't just a coaching issue. Tech was the more talented team.

Sep 9, 2013
Here is what DH had to say about Tech's offense:

West Virginia travels to Lubbock, Texas on Saturday to take on a red-hot Texas Tech team. The Red Raiders have won three in a row and are averaging over 60 points per game in those contests. It will be, without a doubt, the biggest obstacle the Mountaineers have faced in their young season, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

"It will be a huge challenge, but we kind of understand what we're getting ourselves into," said Head Coach Dana Holgorsen at his weekly press conference. "I know we'll be up for that challenge."

As they've been in years past, Texas Tech is doing most of their damage through the air. The team ranks No. 1 in the country in passing offense, something that Holgorsen attributes to a combination of "a bit of trickery," a smart quarterback, and the ability to keep defenses on their toes.

"They went fast. They went really, really, really fast, and we have to be prepared for that," said Holgorsen. "We will (be)."

The Red Raiders aren't slacking in the run game, either. They employ a similar running back by committee approach that West Virginia does, with one running back (Demarcus Felton) rushing for 130 yards and two scores against Oklahoma State, another (Ta'Zhawn Henry) rushing for 111 yards and four scores against Houston, and four different running backs rushing for a touchdown against Lamar.

As impressive as that is, the key to stopping Texas Tech is still stifling their passing game, and the only way to do that is to disrupt Alan Bowman, the Red Raiders' quarterback. Holgorsen laid the gauntlet down for one group of players to do just that on Saturday.

"Hopefully we can pressure the quarterback. They're doing a really good job of getting things out quick," said Holgorsen. ".... I'm anxious to watch this defensive line. We got to see if we are as good as we think we are there.... I want to see if our d-line can get after that quarterback."

They won't have to do it themselves. Holgorsen and defensive coordinator Tony Gibson both know that pressure can come from several angles and several levels with this defense.

"We got a plan and I look forward to using it."

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It turns out it wasn't really Tech's offense that did us in. It was ours.

I think we made them look better than they are.

Sep 9, 2013
WVU's defensive coordinator said texas tech has the fastest tempo in country, and that the Oklahoma State defense failed get lined up a lot of the time:

The Red Raiders hurry from the end of one play to the beginning of the next, and they're using barely half the traditional play clock. They vary their formations in unconventional ways and make defenses think before the snap ... but in a limited amount of time. Texas Tech will use unbalanced sets and take an offensive lineman from one side and put him on the other. Trips formations are planted on the short side of the field, and a defense has to choose to defend the numbers there or the space on the other side. A running back lines up as a receiver, and a defender has to respond.
Oklahoma State welcomed the Red Raiders for a home game last week and allowed 224 yards rushing and 397 yards passing in a one-sided loss. The same defense was allowing 296 total yards per game in a 3-0 start.
"It was quick game, and it was tempo and getting lined up," Mountaineers coach Tony Gibson said. "Oklahoma State wasn't able to line up to their formations, and they were able to throw the ball downfield. They took some shots and hit on them. They do a nice job."
Gibson has built ways to address that into his 3-3-5. He has left and right defensive ends and left and right cornerbacks as opposed to field and boundary players. The left and right players line up on the same side on every down. The field and boundary players have to figure out if they're on the wide or the short side of the field on every snap and then get there. That takes time, and it takes a toll on defenders. If they're confused or fatigued by the offense's tactics, the offense takes advantage.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
F's. F's all around. Miserable game. Uniforms sucked. Offense sucked. Defense and special teams sucked. Coaching adjustments nil. Hated it. Ugh.

Still probably will win 8-9 games. We all know we find a way to blow one game we have no business losing, and this certainly fits the profile. This was just a bad all-around day. Sometimes you have a bad day.

On to Kansas.
Well last year we found a way to lose 3 that we shouldn’t have.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I think Tech wins by two scores...don't like it, but that is what I think will happen in Lubbock.
Just because we got our ass kicked doesn’t mean a team with a skilled QB will. Had OSU had Grier, I think we would of curbstomped Texas tech. The only reason we lost is because our coach doesn’t want to accept that Mason Rudolph is gone. I truly believe that the other QBs on the bench would have got it done.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Just because we got our ass kicked doesn’t mean a team with a skilled QB will. Had OSU had Grier, I think we would of curbstomped Texas tech. The only reason we lost is because our coach doesn’t want to accept that Mason Rudolph is gone. I truly believe that the other QBs on the bench would have got it done.
I think we didn't prepare well no matter who was our Qb and that the game plan could have been altered to make it a better game...Even with mason we only beat them by 1 last time we played them at BPS...Point being, EVERYONE overlooked Tech...Fan's, players, staff, waterboy...They were far better than Boise, but we were too busy patting ourselves on the back and reading press clippings to make the necessary changes to beat them...That's what happened. I hope and think they will correct that this weekend!

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I hate to bust everyone's bubble, but it is and will always be tough to recruit the cream athletes to Stillwater. The top athletes will always opt to play closer to home...
Then explain Notre Dame. They get top classes and not close to anything and it's cold AF there. Ok, they're two hours from that football hotbed known as Chicago.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Then explain Notre Dame. They get top classes and not close to anything and it's cold AF there. Ok, they're two hours from that football hotbed known as Chicago.
We are talking about the "non-blue bloods" - Notre Dame is a Blue-Blood school. We are not.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We are talking about the "non-blue bloods" - Notre Dame is a Blue-Blood school. We are not.
Also one of the most predominate Catholic Universities on the planet...and is heaped in historic football lore. Perhaps the most of any school in the country. So, I would agree, yes, they are a blue blood, but more than that they are THE historic football blue blood in the entire nation.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Also one of the most predominate Catholic Universities on the planet...and is heaped in historic football lore. Perhaps the most of any school in the country. So, I would agree, yes, they are a blue blood, but more than that they are THE historic football blue blood in the entire nation.
So you agree it's not so much about location. It's about winning and having a legacy of winning.

wreck

A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
You are missing the whole point of the example. You are taking one part of it and trying to disprove the premise. The whole discussion is that it is very hard to recruit to Stillwater. The 5 star athletes want to go where they get the most notice --- and that is the "Blue Blood" schools. That doesn't mean we give up trying to get them, it doesn't mean we can't still succeed -- it's just much harder to get Athletes from Texas, let alone from SEC country to come to Stillwater. Texas parents would like to see their kids play - and the further away you are from them, it reduces the chance you land them.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So you agree it's not so much about location. It's about winning and having a legacy of winning.
Well, yes...but it's not JUST about winning..it's having a legacy historically...and in popular and otherwise culture. The Irish have that in spades...even if they aren't winning. We don't and I don't think we or even ou is capable of building what the Irish have in terms of historical significance to the game. They can't all of a sudden have the Gipper, Knuth Rockne, touchdown Jesus or the Four Horseman...heck even Rudy. It's just a fixture of culture/history in the American story, more than just football culture. That can't really be manufactured. All we can do is what we are doing. Strive to win more and more and create our own story /culture (as we are).

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Well, yes...but it's not JUST about winning..it's having a legacy historically...and in popular and otherwise culture. The Irish have that in spades...even if they aren't winning. We don't and I don't think we or even ou is capable of building what the Irish have in terms of historical significance to the game. They can't all of a sudden have the Gipper, Knuth Rockne, touchdown Jesus or the Four Horseman...heck even Rudy. It's just a fixture of culture/history in the American story, more than just football culture. That can't really be manufactured. All we can do is what we are doing. Strive to win more and more and create our own story /culture (as we are).
So we are in agreement.

My disagreement is with the statement "The top athletes will always opt to play closer to home." Top athletes will NOT always opt to play closer to home. Notre Dame proves that statement false, for the reasons you describe.

It's also proven false by another team, Oregon. There are 20 players from Oregon on their roster (we have 40 Oklahoma players on our roster). So the other 70+ players are NOT playing close to home.

I get it. We've been winning and are in elite company when you look at the number of wins over the last 3-4 years. We have top notch facilities. We have a stable program and a very likeable coach. So why don't we recruit better? It must be because no one wants to come to Stillwater. I just don't buy it, because other schools have overcome their location.

wreck

A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
So we are in agreement.

My disagreement is with the statement "The top athletes will always opt to play closer to home." Top athletes will NOT always opt to play closer to home. Notre Dame proves that statement false, for the reasons you describe.

It's also proven false by another team, Oregon. There are 20 players from Oregon on their roster (we have 40 Oklahoma players on our roster). So the other 70+ players are NOT playing close to home.

I get it. We've been winning and are in elite company when you look at the number of wins over the last 3-4 years. We have top notch facilities. We have a stable program and a very likeable coach. So why don't we recruit better? It must be because no one wants to come to Stillwater. I just don't buy it, because other schools have overcome their location.

I was commenting as a continuation of the discussion on why we don't get the highest level recruits.
@cowboyethics344 :
"You can disagree with me but I think in order to have the type of defense to hold a Texas tech team to 20 points consistently then we are going to have to start getting some high level recruits from the SEC states. Considering we can’t even get big time legacy recruits like dax hill and Caden sterns... it’s going to be really hard to expect us to hold teams with good offenses to those numbers."

We aren't going to get many (if any) 4 or 5 star recruits from SEC states, it's damn hard enough to get them from Texas. Dax Hill went to "blue-blood" Michegan.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
I was commenting as a continuation of the discussion on why we don't get the highest level recruits.
@cowboyethics344 :
"You can disagree with me but I think in order to have the type of defense to hold a Texas tech team to 20 points consistently then we are going to have to start getting some high level recruits from the SEC states. Considering we can’t even get big time legacy recruits like dax hill and Caden sterns... it’s going to be really hard to expect us to hold teams with good offenses to those numbers."

We aren't going to get many (if any) 4 or 5 star recruits from SEC states, it's damn hard enough to get them from Texas. Dax Hill went to "blue-blood" Michegan.
He didn't say we would, or that it was realistic. He was saying it is unrealistic to expect our defense to shut down high powered offenses based on the talent we get, and the only way to shut them down would be to land those top recruits from the southeast.
I agree with that...the offense is always going to carry the team in the era we are in right now.
And it's a valid point that we can't even land highly touted local recruits.